PDA

View Full Version : For Cat Lovers

hcap
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
/v/3nZP9kaLFf4?

Lefty
10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm a cat lover. Even wrote a couple books about the domesticated kind.

TJDave
10-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Cute little kitties.

I predict that one day, several years from now, that guy will be renamed "Dinner".

BlueShoe
10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
As both a cat lover and as a person with a great interest in, and fairly knowledgeable about wildlife, this film clip makes me a bit uneasy. Cute, yes, but sends the wrong message. Wild animals are not pets, in particular large predators, regardless of whether they were born in captivity or not. There is no such thing as a tame lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cougar, bear, etc. When they are grown, those lions, in a fit of anger or irritation, could kill that man in a flash, even though they may have known him all of their lives. Lion cubs engage in very rough play, they bite and swat each other, and could badly injure a person accidentally even as young and small as they are.

hcap
10-28-2011, 05:49 PM
As both a cat lover and as a person with a great interest in, and fairly knowledgeable about wildlife, this film clip makes me a bit uneasy. Cute, yes, but sends the wrong message. Wild animals are not pets, in particular large predators, regardless of whether they were born in captivity or not. There is no such thing as a tame lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cougar, bear, etc. When they are grown, those lions, in a fit of anger or irritation, could kill that man in a flash, even though they may have known him all of their lives. Lion cubs engage in very rough play, they bite and swat each other, and could badly injure a person accidentally even as young and small as they are.I agree. But I couldn't resist.

bigmack
10-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I agree. But I couldn't resist.
I enjoyed it and shared it with a woman who REALLY enjoyed it. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
10-28-2011, 09:04 PM
As both a cat lover and as a person with a great interest in, and fairly knowledgeable about wildlife, this film clip makes me a bit uneasy. Cute, yes, but sends the wrong message. Wild animals are not pets, in particular large predators, regardless of whether they were born in captivity or not. There is no such thing as a tame lion, tiger, jaguar, leopard, cougar, bear, etc. When they are grown, those lions, in a fit of anger or irritation, could kill that man in a flash, even though they may have known him all of their lives. Lion cubs engage in very rough play, they bite and swat each other, and could badly injure a person accidentally even as young and small as they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGKWoJi5qM

boxcar
10-28-2011, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiGKWoJi5qM

Great vid! Thanks so much for posting that. I had seen it before but quite a while ago. As a cat lover myself, it really warms my own heart to see something like this.

On another thread some time ago, Hcap broached the subject of animals in heaven. This vid is another reason to add to the biblical ones I provided that seem to provide evidence that animals will enjoy a pristine paradise -- a paradise where the lion will lay down with the lamb. Where a young lad will be able put his hand in the viper's den but go unharmed, etc.

What has always struck me as particularly exciting about the video you linked us to was the reaction of Christian's mate to the strange humans. She, too, took to them even though we're supposed to be all wild animals' natural enemies. I have long maintained that Natural Revelation (reality as we know it) will always harmonize nicely with Special Revelation (the bible). What we actually witnessed in the vid -- at least from the biblical perspective -- is the natural bond that used to exist between Man and Animals prior to the Fall. Most of us, however, tend to think the exact the opposite. Most of us believe that wild animals and man are natural enemies -- when in fact, the Fall made us unnatural enemies. At the end of the age, the natural bonds between Man and the Animal Kingdom will be restored in God's Kingdom. Both the bible and a video like this make me draw this kind of conclusion.

Boxcar

Tom
10-28-2011, 11:02 PM
78u8QdngLy4&feature=related

boxcar
10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah, he's adorable. Seen this one before, too -- but without the commentary.

Boxcar

Actor
10-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I can't resist posting my favorite cat story.

My wife and I have always had at least one cat living with us ever since we got married. In the 1980s we came to own a big gray cat that the kids named Big Butt. We explained to the kids that the name was not appropriate but the name stuck. He had the run of the house and could come and go as he pleased via one of those little swinging pet doors which he could barely fit through.

Big Butt was fairly large for a domestic cat. And he was a great mouser. If we forgot to feed him he would go out and catch something on his own and bring it home to share. I guess he wanted to pull his own weight. He brought home mice, birds, squirrels. I'd take these away from him and flush them down the toilet, then give him a can of tuna.

One day I detected a stinking smell. I tracked it down and found a large, partially eaten rabbit under our bed. It was the biggest thing Big Butt ever caught. I'm surprised he got it through the pet door. I gave him two cans of tuna.

Our neighbors had a Chihuahua they called Speedy Gonzales.

Ever notice how a Chihuahua looks like a big mouse?

One day when I was home alone, the rest of the family having gone off somewhere, I was sitting watching TV when I heard the pet door swing. I turned and saw Big Butt standing there proud as could be with Speedy Gonzales in his mouth. Speedy had not been speedy enough. He was dead. I traded Big Butt a can of tuna for Speedy's corpse and, Speedy being too big to flush down the toilet, put him in a large zip lock bag and threw him in the trash.

The neighbors posted signs on every telephone pole in the neighborhood offering a reward for the return of Speedy Gonzales. I never said anything.

Ocala Mike
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
My two cats are the exact opposite of Actor's cat. I live on a horse farm out in the country, but my cats are only allowed out during the daytime because there are coyotes and foxes around here at night that would kill them.

About all the cats kill are bugs and lizards; they chase squirrels but never catch them and probably wouldn't know what to do with one if they did. I get upset when they (rarely) kill a bird. Free-roaming pet cats are the scourge of native bird populations (and, apparently, careless chihuahuas)!

Ocala Mike

Lefty
10-29-2011, 02:23 PM
actor, I think it was very unkind of you not to inform your neighbors what happened to their pet dog. You gave them many hours of extra grief and denied them closure.

BlueShoe
10-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I live on a horse farm out in the country, but my cats are only allowed out during the daytime because there are coyotes and foxes around here at night that would kill them.
Coyotes for sure, but not foxes, this is a widely held misconception. If the fox is very large and the cat a ktten, very old, injured, ill, or small, yes the fox would be a threat, but not otherwise. A healthy adult cat of at least average size can beat the stuffing out of a fox, and the fox usually knows it. Most of the time cats and foxes avoid or just ignore each other, but when there is a fight it is the fox that gets the worst of it. Foxes appear much heavier than they really are because of their bushy fur and long tails. The average male Red Fox in NA only weighs around 10 pounds, with females smaller. Many big tomcats go much heavier than that.

BlueShoe
10-29-2011, 05:24 PM
actor, I think it was very unkind of you not to inform your neighbors what happened to their pet dog. You gave them many hours of extra grief and denied them closure.
Hoping that this story is just satire and not a real occurance. If it is real, then I concur that it was extremely cruel to just toss the dog in the trash and then keep quiet about it.