PDA

View Full Version : Wo R5 - Umm, you forgot one...

Some_One
10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I've watched a whole lot of racing in my life, but tonight was a first, the starter sent the field off for the 5th with the 10 still behind the gate and not close to being loaded. Let hope a whole slew of people are fired tonight, but that probably won't happen.

cj
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Firing seems a bit much for one occurrence.

Brogan
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
It's happened before, it'll happen again.

If it were to happen with the same starter, I'd say his time would be pretty short. Anything can happen...once, at least.

Rise Over Run
10-26-2011, 09:52 PM
It happened at Philadelphia Park in a $100k Stakes Race back in 2005. Two months later the same starter had a race start where four runners remained in locked gates. Turns out the poor old guy's hands just weren't strong enough to hold the button down for long. He resigned/retired the next day.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/30827/philadelphia-park-starter-tenders-resignation

toussaud
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM
happened on gold rush day earlier this year

HoofedInTheChest
10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I've watched a whole lot of racing in my life, but tonight was a first, the starter sent the field off for the 5th with the 10 still behind the gate and not close to being loaded. Let hope a whole slew of people are fired tonight, but that probably won't happen.
Did you have the :10:?............i didn't think so.
It's cold and raining tonight, who knows for sure what happened in the 5th but firing the guy is a bit much. I play Woodbine everyday and have never seen that before from the starter, must be nice to live out perfection.

Some_One
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow, can't believe the reactions, but again I shouldnt be surprised...a drug violation? sure that's ok once, wrong payoffs, sure that's ok too. And if this cheap race was the Kentucky Derby, and this happened causing millions of dollars of refunds and all the negative PR, what would you think?

redshift1
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Wow, can't believe the reactions, but again I shouldnt be surprised...a drug violation? sure that's ok once, wrong payoffs, sure that's ok too. And if this cheap race was the Kentucky Derby, and this happened causing millions of dollars of refunds and all the negative PR, what would you think?

This is not about drug violations it's not about the KD it's about an unintentional mistake.

fmolf
10-26-2011, 11:09 PM
This is not about drug violations it's not about the KD it's about an unintentional mistake.
well said!..... :ThmbUp:

Hoofless_Wonder
10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I've never seen a horse "left behind" quite like that either until tonight at Woodbine. Had a small bet on the winner and had to sweat out the inquiry for a little bit, thinking they might declare the race a "non contest", since it appeared a couple of other horses might not have gotten away cleanly 'cause their jockeys weren't expecting the gates to open.....

Thought I'd used up the day's allotment of Mojo from the Gods of Racing from the Belmont 8th race, when my medium bet cashed on the :4: horse who interfered with the :2: in the lane - but the NYRA stewards left him up. Chart caller didn't agree, and described the duece as being "bullied by the winner"....

PhantomOnTour
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
The OP brings up a good point though...what if this were the Ky Derby?
he still keeps his job or no?
(i know this, if Mack Brown was in charge he would kick him off the team!! :lol: )

HoofedInTheChest
10-27-2011, 01:53 AM
We don't have all the facts here, for all we know the gate malfunctioned, or the starter's switch crapped out from the rain. Before you string the guy up by his balls give him the benefit of the doubt......... sh*t happens....... there called accidents. I'm sure the last thing the guy wanted was to screw over the connections of the 10 horse, it was a cheap maiden claimer race, comparing it to the KD or the Queens Plate is ridiculous. This isn't some country bumpkin racetrack, they run clean and fair racing at Woodbine, one little instance out of thousands of races is no reason to get all worked up.

wisconsin
10-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Is this really the fault of the starter? I know, I know, in the end, it's his responsibility. But the assistant starters behind the gate are supposed to be yelling that there was still one out. That's how gate work is communicated. The starter relies on his help. Call it communication error.

cj's dad
10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I watch and wager at Woodbine often. The gate crew is one of the best I've seen. Their races almost ALWAYS go off on time. I realize this is about the starter and not the crew, but he works in conjunction with them. We're not discussing something that caused injury or that happens weekly or monthly or even yearly. As someone else mentioned, let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

davew
10-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I saw it once at Arlington Park in the early 90's - a Carl Nafzger horse

appistappis
10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
If you know anything about woodbine and the OJC the guy is probably somebodies brother in law.