PDA

View Full Version : Smoking is Glamorous

bigmack
10-25-2011, 05:35 PM
What the hell?

qhm-22Q0PuM

wisconsin
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
I think it's about regaining peoples rights. Cain was once the head of the National Restaurant Asscociation, who fought smoking laws tooth and nail.

Probably not the campaign direction in which to head.

FantasticDan
10-25-2011, 06:08 PM
The Cain smile at the end? NOT CREEPY ENOUGH :D

boxcar
10-25-2011, 06:21 PM
The Cain smile at the end? NOT CREEPY ENOUGH :D

Ah...you want creepy, eh? Try this on for size:

http://www.christianandamerican.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obama-praying.jpg

And if that still doesn't make you happy, I have a lot more from where that came. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2011, 06:28 PM
The Cain smile at the end? NOT CREEPY ENOUGH :DI knew it wouldn't be long before someone chimed in with a hateful, racist comment such as this...

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
What the hell?

qhm-22Q0PuMRalph beat you to the punch near the end of this thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1179450#post1179450

Hanover1
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
So he gets the tobacco lobbyists in line? Its a start :cool:

boxcar
10-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I think it's about regaining peoples rights. Cain was once the head of the National Restaurant Asscociation, who fought smoking laws tooth and nail.

Probably not the campaign direction in which to head.

BINGO! The ad's message is NOT about smoking. You're nailed it perfectly. The real message behind the ad is that Cain is a real person and he's not going to condemn or look down his snout at "ordinary, common" people for wanting to exercise their individual liberties, even when he doesn't agree with them or with their activity. The ad is already controversial. And he's perfectly fine with that because he wants to draw the attention of free-thinkers. He's not interested in trying to appeal to brain-dead PC types, who want the Nanny State to do their thinking for them.

I have to hand to Cain: His business sense is shining through. He's working with a limited but growing budget, so he's using some ingenuity to try to use others to advertise for him at little or no expense to his campaign. He will draw much welcomed attention to himself with that ad. The ad will continue to turn off the PC lovers and turn on additional critical thinkers.

Boxcar

lsbets
10-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Someone who's good at youtube put up Cain's Yellow Flowers ad. Easily the strangest political ad ever.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
dSlC7BxmSqY

JustRalph
10-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Brilliant!

boxcar
10-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Brilliant!

I agree! A very smooth and sophisticated "attack" on left-wing racism.

If Cain should get the nomination, you can bet the farm Cain would win the election in a landslide for many reasons.

Boxcar

JustRalph
10-25-2011, 10:42 PM
I agree! A very smooth and sophisticated "attack" on left-wing racism.

Boxcar

I disagree

That is not why I think it's brilliant. The two ads, taken now in context of a couple of days reveal the real strategy behind them.

boxcar
10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
I disagree

That is not why I think it's brilliant. The two ads, taken now in context of a couple of days reveal the real strategy behind them.

I understand perfectly. Both ads portray Cain as a REAL person who doesn't spout off empty, meaningless platitudes -- a person of modest ordinary beginnings who would stand by, understand, represent and relate to REAL, everyday Americans. Both ads represent a stark contrast between the current Divider-in-Chief in the WH.

Boxcar

FantasticDan
10-25-2011, 11:34 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone chimed in with a hateful, racist comment such as this... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/herman_cain_ad_smoking_cigarette.html?imw=Y&f=most-viewed-24h5

"Then we see a close-up of Cain turning to the camera and very slowly breaking into a smile. In the words of one YouTube commenter who we're not going to try to top, "I imagine Herman Cain is closing the curtains behind him at that shady motel, turning slowly, and making that creepy smile at a scared prostitute on the bed."

:cool:

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2011, 11:58 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/10/herman_cain_ad_smoking_cigarette.html?imw=Y&f=most-viewed-24h5

"Then we see a close-up of Cain turning to the camera and very slowly breaking into a smile. In the words of one YouTube commenter who we're not going to try to top, "I imagine Herman Cain is closing the curtains behind him at that shady motel, turning slowly, and making that creepy smile at a scared prostitute on the bed."

:cool:When will the racist attacks on Herman Cain end? I thought electing Obama put an end to racism...this is disgraceful. :ThmbDown:

And you should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

chickenhead
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM
the message isn't any kind of message in the ads, they only very tangentially have any message at all, just enough (or not quite enough) to make the idea of it as an ad barely plausible. The point is that they're bizarre enough for people to pass around, so they meet their goal.

It's the creepy Burger King ad, weird cheeto cat, etc commercial slant on political ads. Its as simple as name recognition. That its watched is the point, just for the sake of it being watched.

Buying name recognition is expensive, this is cheap method.

bigmack
10-26-2011, 01:18 AM
It's the creepy Burger King ad, weird cheeto cat, etc commercial slant on political ads. Its as simple as name recognition. That its watched is the point, just for the sake of it being watched.

That is what's called a stretch.

Director: OK, let's get one more shot of you burnin' a butt. In shock value alone we'll get noticed.

Well they DID get noticed but they look like numskulls. Where did Herm find that campaign manager - a hardware store?

chickenhead
10-26-2011, 01:38 AM

Director: OK, let's get one more shot of you burnin' a butt. In shock value alone we'll get noticed.

Well they DID get noticed but they look like numskulls. Where did Herm find that campaign manager - a hardware store?

Did you watch the Yellow Flowers vid? There is way too much intentionally weird shit in there, combined with Smokey the Bandit here...I love unintentional crazy and am a huge fan, but I'm picking up a different vibe here.

boxcar
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM

I have a different take: It's a think-outside-the-box method that shoves a finger in the eye of the political establishment and their phony, slick ads.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
10-26-2011, 12:47 PM
a different style of political commercial from a different style political candidate. unconventional, offbeat, not retreading the same overwrought themes used by others that we by now simply tune out. I have to say I think they are quite innovative and perhaps groundbreaking. a different vibe that's for sure.

you think you get a message, but something is slightly off, slightly discordant. you end up with people doing what is evident in this thread, taking away all kinds of various takes on them.

lsbets
10-26-2011, 12:58 PM
a different style of political commercial from a different style political candidate. unconventional, offbeat, not retreading the same overwrought themes used by others that we by now simply tune out. I have to say I think they are quite innovative and perhaps groundbreaking. a different vibe that's for sure.

you think you get a message, but something is slightly off, slightly discordant. you end up with people doing what is evident in this thread, taking away all kinds of various takes on them.

To me they reinforce my opinion of Cain. Good guy, successful guy, not Presidential material. He doesn't have a firm grasp of the issues and cannot articulate his positions beyond a soundbyte. As for me, these ads were a big negative for Cain winning the nomination, although I don't think Cain ever seriously wanted the nomination. He's looking at a big payday after he drops out of the race.

JustRalph
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
the message isn't any kind of message in the ads, they only very tangentially have any message at all, just enough (or not quite enough) to make the idea of it as an ad barely plausible. The point is that they're bizarre enough for people to pass around, so they meet their goal.

Ding! The ads in my opine have you waiting for the next one. The real message is subtle but the next time a Cain ad comes out........you watch !

Tom
10-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Like Geico!

TJDave
10-26-2011, 02:20 PM
This ad was actually endorsed by Cain?

Weird. I thought it was a spoof. A Donald Segretti special.

FantasticDan
10-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Speaking of spoofs..

http://teamcoco.com/video/herman-cain-campaign-ad

boxcar
10-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Ding! The ads in my opine have you waiting for the next one. The real message is subtle but the next time a Cain ad comes out........you watch !

If the next ones were to get any more subtle than they already are, they will slip into subliminal mode.

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
To me they reinforce my opinion of Cain. Good guy, successful guy, not Presidential material. He doesn't have a firm grasp of the issues and cannot articulate his positions beyond a soundbyte. As for me, these ads were a big negative for Cain winning the nomination, although I don't think Cain ever seriously wanted the nomination. He's looking at a big payday after he drops out of the race.I disagree with the last two sentences. And kind of disagree with the entire premise...

JustRalph
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I disagree with the last two sentences. And kind of disagree with the entire premise...

from what I read, he is very wealthy already

So I have to think money wouldn't be driving anything he does

bigmack
10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
The ending tight shot of Herm is WAY too tight. I think I saw a piece of chicken between his teeth from 2008. :eek:

I'm reminded of the line from Tootsie, when the director axed the cameraman to pull back because the shot was unflattering. To which the cameraman replied: "How do you feel about Cleveland?"

boxcar
10-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Gotta love it! Cain's business acumen has shone through the darkness of conventional wisdom and political correctness.

The Numbers Are In: Herman Cain’s Strange Smoking Ad Is Paying Off

Well, it seems GOP front-runner Herman Cain’s bet on an unconventional video ad featuring smoking campaign manager, Mark Block, has paid off. As of the latest tally Friday morning, the Cain camp has raked in nearly $5 million in donations – earlier reported as $3 million — since the beginning of October. According to The Wall Street Journal, the cash surged even faster since the controversial ad aired on Monday.

“Our donations online have shot up a lot since that ad,” said Block, who claims the bizarre spot has now been viewed by at least four million people and counting since going viral.

“Yes, the smoking part of that ad was controversial—and I don’t in any way condone smoking—but the message that Herman Cain is a different kind of presidential candidate is certainly resonating across the country.”

Block, who claims most of the campaign’s contributions $60 each, insists the ad has bolstered, rather than hurt Cain’s image.

“The money we are getting is wildly beyond our expectations,” he said.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/the-numbers-are-in-herman-cains-strange-smoking-ad-is-paying-off/

Boxcar

Sugar Ron
10-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Needless to say, Herm won't be getting a nickel from me ... but it'd be great if he raises enough dough to make Willard sweat for a while.

Speaking of Mr. Wall Street, was pretty funny to see him lose his cool a lil during that last debate in Vegas after Richard Perry landed a few punches.

Would love to see these guys keep softening up Willard right thru the winter...

Tom
10-29-2011, 06:24 PM
You mean hardening them, right?
Right now, the WORST of them would eat Obama for lunch in a debate.
But he won't face the worst of them.

Obama has a serious disadvantage meeting any of hem - his RECORD!

SWEET!

boxcar
10-29-2011, 06:38 PM
:rolleyes:

Level with us, Tom ... what time did you fire up the crack pipe today?

The only way BO would have the remotest of chances of winning any debate with any of the Republican candidates is if his teleprompter showed up and he didn't.

Boxcar

Sugar Ron
10-29-2011, 06:46 PM
BO is gunna own that poor con stiff in those debates even more impressively than mostpost owns you guys...

boxcar
10-29-2011, 08:12 PM
BO is gunna own that poor con stiff in those debates even more impressively than mostpost owns you guys...

The only thing BO has in common with mostpost is that they're both losers -- BO a born loser and Mosty a self-made one. Put that in your hash pipe and puff on it.

Boxcar

Sugar Ron
10-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't smoke, boxcar.

WHO'S YOUR DADDY, WILLARD?

BO :cool:

Tom
10-29-2011, 11:15 PM
It worked so well for Herman, Michelle has made a smoking ad, too.
LyTUGnWm6fY

boxcar
10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't smoke, boxcar.

I don't believe you, troll, anymore than I would believe your daddy in the WH.

Boxcar

toetoe
10-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Cain was once the head of the National Restaurant Asscociation, who fought smoking laws tooth and nail.

I knew there was something great about him. :jump:

Let's get Fran Lebowitz aboard. :jump:

toetoe
10-30-2011, 03:48 AM

At a Sonny Bono look-alike contest ?

"Hey Horseface --- the Cher and Cher Alike competition's down the hall. Move along now ..."

toetoe
10-30-2011, 03:51 AM

Most unfortunately put, considering this country's checkered racial past.

Why am I not surprised ?

Robert Goren
10-30-2011, 07:13 AM
You have to wonder how much of Cain's new campaign funds came from the tobacco industry. The Cain campaign is desperate for money. Even Perry who has taken a nose dive in the polls is still getting over $4 to his $1.

NJ Stinks
10-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Sometimes I wish it was Mostpost doing the debating instead of Barack, Ron.

The President is too cool for his own good sometimes.

boxcar
10-30-2011, 01:15 PM
You have to wonder how much of Cain's new campaign funds came from the tobacco industry. The Cain campaign is desperate for money. Even Perry who has taken a nose dive in the polls is still getting over $4 to his $1.

I hope the industry drowns him in cash. They can afford it. They just won another lawsuit here in FL.

Boxcar

boxcar
10-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Sometimes I wish it was Mostpost doing the debating instead of Barack, Ron.

The President is too cool for his own good sometimes.

You're right. He certainly ain't doin' so hot in the polls. ;)

Boxcar

Rookies
10-30-2011, 01:21 PM
You're right. He certainly ain't doin' so hot in the polls. ;)

Boxcar

Yeah... until he actually is up against a real life Republi-Con...;)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/president_obama_vs_republican_candidates.html

Then, even now at his lowest ebb, he's beating them all.

How can that possibly be, Boxie ???

johnhannibalsmith
10-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Most unfortunately put, considering this country's checkered racial past.

Why am I not surprised ?

Still waiting for Jeneannenneine Garofolo's perspective on this Cain fellow and his support from people that are all about hating a black man in the White House.

bigmack
10-30-2011, 03:16 PM

I cough up $500 towards a contest around this joint if BO wins. You do if one of the 'Cons' win.

Let's do this.

Still waiting for Jeneannenneine Garofolo's perspective on this Cain fellow and his support from people that are all about hating a black man in the White House.
JG is onboard with this line of thinking:

YmlgTS4vuWs

boxcar
10-30-2011, 03:28 PM

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/president_obama_vs_republican_candidates.html

Then, even now at his lowest ebb, he's beating them all.

How can that possibly be, Boxie ???

If the election were held today, ANY opponent would beat him, including Ron Paul. I would bet the farm on that! Real Clear Politics? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Neat. So when you don't support a black president it is racism and when you do support a black president (ial candidate) it is racism. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, how sweet it is.

boxcar
10-30-2011, 03:55 PM
I cough up $500 towards a contest around this joint if BO wins. You do if one of the 'Cons' win.

Let's do this.

JG is onboard with this line of thinking:

The kind of thinking is typical liberal drivel. Libs always want things both ways. Conservatives are racists whether we like or vote for a black candidate or don't vote for him. AGW is taking place when the weather somewhere is a scorcher or a blizzard is taking place somewhere during the summer.

I would like that airhead in the vid to explain just exactly is Cain's "place"? She claims he knows it, so she must know it, too.

Boxcar

bigmack
10-30-2011, 04:05 PM
There's nothing more insufferable than a white person telling other white people what they think is in their minds when it comes to race. Chrissy Matthews does it so much it's been coined "a Matthews."
'
Thank gawd we have these uber intelligent whiteys to 'splain it all. MSLSD has no shortage of pundits at the ready to call Cain, Uncle Tom.

Tom
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
You know, it has nothing to do with either on'es color - their policies, their beliefs, their core principles that set them apart.

Lib never get this because with libs, it is NEVER about issues, about policies, about what is best for people. It is always about the people, the division. They use the people as the media for their personal hate. As we have seen over and over, the repubs use the issue to judge the people. We have thrown so many alleged righties aside because they don't represent the ideals we hold dear. The libs see that little D and the debate is over.