PDA

View Full Version : The Unions Strike Again.

delayjf
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-22/news/ct-met-pensions-teacher-perk-20111023_1_state-teachers-pension-fund-teachers-union-public-pension

If I were a teacher in Ill - I would be pissed.

boxcar
10-24-2011, 10:22 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-22/news/ct-met-pensions-teacher-perk-20111023_1_state-teachers-pension-fund-teachers-union-public-pension

If I were a teacher in Ill - I would be pissed.

Stay tuned: Mosty will tell us why they don't have any right to be angry.

Boxcar

Tom
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Talk about thieves.

bigmack
10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't know how people like that can live with themselves. Jack the system for their own gain and walk away like thieves.

Bettowin
10-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Now their front yards would be the place to occupy. Fill their streets with teachers until they agree not to take the money.

Wonder if the media would show up?

JustRalph
10-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Chicago, the gangsters never left. These guys are an upgrade from Capone.

ElKabong
10-25-2011, 01:05 AM
people need to read delay's link...this is criminal, and the unions are to thank for it.
-------

Two lobbyists with no prior teaching experience were allowed to count their years as union employees toward a state teacher pension once they served a single day of subbing in 2007, a Tribune/WGN-TV investigation has found.

Steven Preckwinkle, the political director for the Illinois Federation of Teachers, and fellow union lobbyist David Piccioli were the only people who took advantage of a small window opened by lawmakers a few months earlier.

The legislation enabled union officials to get into the state teachers pension fund and count their previous years as union employees after quickly obtaining teaching certificates and working in a classroom. They just had to do it before the bill was signed into law.

mostpost
10-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Stay tuned: Mosty will tell us why they don't have any right to be angry.

Boxcar
No, but I will tell you that these two lobbyists are not getting something for nothing and they are breaking no laws. To begin with they have to back pay their contributions to the fund with compounded interest. That was in the last paragraph of the Trib story. Second, although they were not teachers, they did work for the Teachers Union.

So, since they broke no laws and contributed the same amount as any teacher who worked the same amount of years (plus interest) why should you care except of course that the word Union is involved.

Tom
10-25-2011, 07:47 AM
And so it goes.....

HUSKER55
10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
DO YOU REALLY THINK IT WILL EVER CHANGE?

JustRalph
10-25-2011, 09:20 AM
No, but I will tell you that these two lobbyists are not getting something for nothing and they are breaking no laws. To begin with they have to back pay their contributions to the fund with compounded interest. That was in the last paragraph of the Trib story. Second, although they were not teachers, they did work for the Teachers Union.

So, since they broke no laws and contributed the same amount as any teacher who worked the same amount of years (plus interest) why should you care except of course that the word Union is involved.

Hello forest.......... can you tell me where I can find a tree.......?

ArlJim78
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
its business as usual in Illinois which is run like a crime syndicate.

Tom
10-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Slavery was once legal. Didn't make it right.
Now, as then, Republicans stand for truth, justice, and the American way!

boxcar
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Of course it was legal! So, in your mind everything that is LEGAL is also moral? As Tom has pointed out, slavery was once legal. Child labor was once legal. Male voting only was once legal. So...do you really want to worship at the Altar of Legality? Are you this shallow and morally-impoverished?

Boxcar

mostpost
10-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Of course it was legal! So, in your mind everything that is LEGAL is also moral? As Tom has pointed out, slavery was once legal. Child labor was once legal. Male voting only was once legal. So...do you really want to worship at the Altar of Legality? Are you this shallow and morally-impoverished?

Boxcar

Slavery was immoral. Child Labor was Immoral, I don't think this rises to the level of immorality. I think it was a wrong law, but since I am not familiar with the circumstances of its passage, I can't be extremely critical. I do note that it was designed to be in effect for only a short period of time.

There are a lot of dumb laws that make no sense to us now. As a friendly gesture I would like to warn you. If you ever come to Chicago, do NOT fish while sitting on the neck of a giraffe.

Mike at A+
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Gee, even those bank bailouts were LEGAL. So was Fanny and Freddie. And guess what, that financial instrument called a DERIVATIVE is also legal.

What's less cut and dry is the concept of "immoral". What's immoral to some seems to be cool with others. For example, Solyndra. Or how about targeting American citizens with drones and ending up killing their teenage son as well?

Tom
10-25-2011, 12:40 PM
That is part of ObamaCare isn't it?
Or was is the Stimulus Bill?

boxcar
10-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Slavery was immoral. Child Labor was Immoral, I don't think this rises to the level of immorality. I think it was a wrong law, but since I am not familiar with the circumstances of its passage, I can't be extremely critical. I do note that it was designed to be in effect for only a short period of time.

There are a lot of dumb laws that make no sense to us now. As a friendly gesture I would like to warn you. If you ever come to Chicago, do NOT fish while sitting on the neck of a giraffe.

Saith who! In your world, Morality lies in the eyes of the beholder. Take slavery, for example: Slavery has been with the world since the dawn of time and virtually no one thought it was immoral! Not even Christ himself condemned it! His apostles didn't condemn it! Oversight? Turned a blind eye to this horrible social problem?

What has been done with these two "teachers" is nothing less than legalized theft! THEFT! THEFT of taxpayers' money. But you love theft and lying, don't you? After all they are merely different sides to the same coin.

Boxcar

boxcar
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM

Duly noted! Which means this law was, in all probability, passed specifically to create a LOOPHOLE through which these two "teachers" could crawl through -- probably as a kickback for favors that were granted by these union thugs to these corrupt politicians. Soo...this probably being the case for this "temporary" law, I take it that you have now given up your opposition to all the loopholes that politicians have created in the tax law that are designed to allow their rich supporters special privileges that allow them to get even wealthier? If the first loophole is ethical, then surely all the others legislators create are equally so!

Here's a friendly gesture that makes even better sense: Go out in the highways and byways to beg, borrow, steal or buy a set of genuine moral values. The best on the planet are to be found in the bible, btw.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Why is it that the Chicago Tribune has no problem telling it's readers exactly how much these guys could make in pension benefits but the paper cannot disclose how much these have to contribute (pay) to qualify for the pension in the first place?

Hell, the article suggests one the two guys may not make the contributions to be elgible for a pension "partly because he would owe a substantial lump sum to move forward...."

And Ralph, your title is sort of misleading but not quite. Most people post that title and I instantly wonder where the striking union workers are employed. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
And Ralph, your title is sort of misleading but not quite. Most people post that title and I instantly wonder where the striking union workers are employed. :rolleyes:

Ok, but I didn't start the thread :confused:

bigmack
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
I hate to be persnickety (not really) but have you heard of a homonym?

NJ Stinks
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Ok, but I didn't start the thread :confused:

Sorry, Ralph. :blush:

NJ Stinks
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM

In the teaching mode today, Mack?

bigmack
10-25-2011, 05:02 PM
In the teaching mode today, Mack?
I welcome learning things everyday. Sorry if you take offence at learning. I realize SO MANY stopped learning long ago and find it petty and insulting to be corrected. Truth be told, those that stop learning are usually kind of slow.

We should all dumb it down for the slowest among us. Just to be "nice."

boxcar
10-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I welcome learning things everyday. Sorry if you take offence at learning. I realize SO MANY stopped learning long ago and find it petty and insulting to be corrected. Truth be told, those that stop learning are usually kind of slow.

We should all dumb it down for the slowest among us. Just to be "nice."

"Dumbing Down" = Trickle Up Stupidity. Now we can understand why so many libs are high on the Trickle Up plan (bad pun intended).

Boxcar

delayjf
10-25-2011, 09:52 PM
but the paper cannot disclose how much these have to contribute (pay) to qualify for the pension in the first place?

Interesting question - if its anything like the CA teachers Union they will get a "dollars on pennies" return. I would love to invest a lump sum into a sweet heart deal like this - are you kidding me, we all would.

Striker
10-25-2011, 11:41 PM
My mother has been a teacher in Illinois for over 30 years and she told me that she pays about 9% of her salary into her retirement fund, the state matches that 9% and her school district puts in about .50%, but she said a lot of school districts haven't paid their part in a few years and that you know who eventually foots that bill. I also asked her about this current article that this thread is about and she told me that the bill allowing this loophole to occur was passed mainly because over 500k was donated to former Governor Blago straight out of the teachers retirement fund here in Illinois.

Actor
10-26-2011, 03:08 PM
There are a lot of dumb laws that make no sense to us now. As a friendly gesture I would like to warn you. If you ever come to Chicago, do NOT fish while sitting on the neck of a giraffe.Also, in Pennsylvania you are not allowed to let your lion run loose. In California it is illegal to hunt whales from an automobile. If two trains meet at an intersection in Kansas both must come to a complete stop and neither may proceed until the other has passed. :lol:

bigmack
10-26-2011, 04:02 PM
was passed mainly because over 500k was donated to former Governor Blago straight out of the teachers retirement fund here in Illinois.That's a fine "how do you do." And now details are emerging of how mostie delivered mail to Blago. It's unclear yet how involved mostie is but this is going to get UGLY.

TJDave
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Huh?

Homonym?

Wear?