PDA

View Full Version : Ravens have 4th and 43

Zippy Chippy
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't think I've ever seen that before. Jags D playing great so far.

1st and 10
5 yard loss on Pass
2nd and 15
Incomplete
3rd and 15 Holding
3rd and 25 Holding
3rd and 35 Flacco passes gets batted back to him. He catches it and is tacked for an 8 yard loss

4th and 43 punt.

Bettowin
10-24-2011, 10:28 PM
No first downs in the 1st half for Baltimore? WTF?

Think Ray Lewis might be chewing some offensive ass at halftime? Lucky to only be down by 6.

Over under for 2nd half is 17 1/2. That looks good for the under the way things are going but watch the opening kickoff get returned for a TD.

Zippy Chippy
10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
This has to be one of the strangest games of the year.

bks
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
With less than 12 minutes left in the 4th quarter, the Ravens have 23 more PENALTY yards than total yards of offense [65-43].

And it's now 3rd and 33. Wow.

slew101
10-25-2011, 12:01 AM
I caught this late. Are you telling me down 9-7, against Jax, Harbaugh tried an onside kick with 2:02 left and 2 timeouts instead of kicking it deep and playing defense? Cundiff is automatic with the touchback, so no chance the clock runs, so you have 3 timeouts with the 2-minute warning.

That makes no sense. You only need 3 to win. Jax then runs 3 times, kicks the FG to go up 12-7. Flacco now needs a TD, and gets picked.

Marshall Bennett
10-25-2011, 12:29 AM
This has to be one of the strangest games of the year.
Probably one of the most boring as well.

Robert Goren
10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Just when you begin to believe that the Ravens might be a super bowl team, they go on MNF and stink up the place.

Robert Goren
10-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I caught this late. Are you telling me down 9-7, against Jax, Harbaugh tried an onside kick with 2:02 left and 2 timeouts instead of kicking it deep and playing defense? Cundiff is automatic with the touchback, so no chance the clock runs, so you have 3 timeouts with the 2-minute warning.

That makes no sense. You only need 3 to win. Jax then runs 3 times, kicks the FG to go up 12-7. Flacco now needs a TD, and gets picked. They was no reason to believe that the Ravens could move the ball quickly enough to get into field goal range. Flacco is not Tebow.:rolleyes:

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I received a tweet that was pretty funny. It said the Cardinals and the Rangers
have more runs then the two teams in the football game. It came somewhere in the second quarter found it quite amusing.

cj's dad
10-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Michael Oher is a liability to the O line. He was the one who committed the 2 consecutive holding penalties.

The loss of Ben Grubbs at guard is huge.

slew101
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
What did you think about the onsides kick?

Michael Oher is a liability to the O line. He was the one who committed the 2 consecutive holding penalties.

The loss of Ben Grubbs at guard is huge.

slew101
10-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Harbaugh explains decision:

“I decided I wanted to go for the onside kick because I felt like we needed the short field and I felt we were going to get the onside kick,” Harbaugh said.

There you go. A 20 percent play, but he felt they would get it.

If they needed a TD, I could see trying it, even with a good defense against a terrible offense for Jax. But down 2, you have to kick deep there, which even Gruden said he would have done.

cj's dad
10-25-2011, 11:13 AM
I was watching with friends and we were all in agreement that kicking off and relying on the D was the way to go. As you know, this is a big play D and Cundiff has great range. Once again, Harbaugh seems overmatched on the sidelines.

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Harbaugh explains decision:

“I decided I wanted to go for the onside kick because I felt like we needed the short field and I felt we were going to get the onside kick,” Harbaugh said.

There you go. A 20 percent play, but he felt they would get it.

If they needed a TD, I could see trying it, even with a good defense against a terrible offense for Jax. But down 2, you have to kick deep there, which even Gruden said he would have done.

I'm going to disagree thought it was the right call (at the time) and best option. Baltimore had 2 times out and only a dummy of a coach (Del Rio) wouldn't say "run the ball out of the end zone at all costs". So lets say there's now 1:55 left.

One we don't know where in the field they would be but for arguments sake I'll say the twenty. Each run takes 7 seconds off the clock and with two timeouts that leaves 1:41. They fail on third down at the twenty five but with the 40 second clock and the seven seconds the play took the clock now sits at 52 seconds. The clock starts once the balled is snapped on the punt. Again the head coach would have to be an idiot not to tell the punter to put it up sky high even if it costs 5-10 yards. Now we are down to 42 seconds maximum. That leaves only 2 plays if the receivers are kept in bounds.

At least to me the odds aren't that great especially the way he was throwing.
I would rather take the twenty percent chance and give Flacco more time to look over his options. It wasn't like he had 20-20 vision during the game.

My two cents I'm not a coach just a poster.

Robert Goren
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm going to disagree thought it was the right call (at the time) and best option. Baltimore had 2 times out and only a dummy of a coach (Del Rio) wouldn't say "run the ball out of the end zone at all costs". So lets say there's now 1:55 left.

One we don't know where in the field they would be but for arguments sake I'll say the twenty. Each run takes 7 seconds off the clock and with two timeouts that leaves 1:41. They fail on third down at the twenty five but with the 40 second clock and the seven seconds the play took the clock now sits at 52 seconds. The clock starts once the balled is snapped on the punt. Again the head coach would have to be an idiot not to tell the punter to put it up sky high even if it costs 5-10 yards. Now we are down to 42 seconds maximum. That leaves only 2 plays if the receivers are kept in bounds.

I would rather take the twenty percent chance and give Flacco more time to look over his options. It wasn't like he had 20-20 vision during the game.

My two cents I'm not a coach just a poster.Sometime I think Baltimore fans think it is 1959 and Johnny U is the qb. Well it is 2011 and Flacco is the qb. If they had 20% chance with the on side that beats the less than 5% chance they have if they put the ball in Flacco's hands. I think Flacco does exactly what he did when he did get his hands on the ball after the FG, throw an interception. If you need him to win a game, you are trouble.

slew101
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
You know, that is a great point, about running it out at all costs. However, not sure it would have been done. By doing that, you cost them a clock stoppage, but what if you get tackled at the 10-yard-line? Now you're possibly punting from your goal line, so 40 seconds is enough time to make some plays to get in FG range if Baltimore gets the ball at its own 40 or better.

Secondly, Cundiff is the best in the league at touchbacks. Most of his kicks sail through the end zone, with no chance at a return.

Lastly, Flacco, while awful last night, did just drive them for a TD. While the Ravens did look terrible, Jax's defense has been very good this season.

My two cents I'm not a coach just a poster.

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
You know, that is a great point, about running it out at all costs. However, not sure it would have been done. By doing that, you cost them a clock stoppage, but what if you get tackled at the 10-yard-line? Now you're possibly punting from your goal line, so 40 seconds is enough time to make some plays to get in FG range if Baltimore gets the ball at its own 40 or better.

Secondly, Cundiff is the best in the league at touchbacks. Most of his kicks sail through the end zone, with no chance at a return.

Lastly, Flacco, while awful last night, did just drive them for a TD. While the Ravens did look terrible, Jax's defense has been very good this season.

Makes for an interesting discussion we'll never know. I always play out scenarios like that before they happen just hate to post them if they fall like I thought could be accused of redboarding. He could have also ran it out to the thirty or a holding penalty called that all becomes speculation.

To play devils advocate didn't Cundiff miss a 52 yarder by a country mile? Maybe that went into Harbaugh's thought process. His only kickoff (not onsides) was returned to the 24.

Seriously I think Harbaugh is far smarter than me and I'm certain most on this board would agree with that and then some. :lol: