PDA

View Full Version : National Championship

dylbert
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
As SEC fan, I am tired of all this we need playoff system blabber. So, I finally agree.

LSU and Alabama should play best two out of three and answer this question once and for all!

Marshall Bennett
10-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Even before the season ends?

ElKabong
10-25-2011, 01:10 AM
While I agree the Tide and the ThugAssTigers are #1 and #2, the headline of Dewey Defeats Truman comes to mind.

Clemson, Boise, Stanford have a punchers chance in a one game situation vs anyone

PhantomOnTour
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
The only team that will want a rematch in the title game is the loser on Nov 5th.
The rest of the country doesn't want to see a rematch, even if the game is very close.

Hey ElKabong...we are not ThugAssTigers...we are not LSU...
we are the "U" of Louisiana State
Where's our 30 For 30 show? :D

Seriously though, I'm only 42yrs old, but this is clearly the best LSU team I've ever seen. Shame what's going on off the field.

Marshall Bennett
10-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Seriously though, I'm only 42yrs old, but this is clearly the best LSU team I've ever seen. Shame what's going on off the field.
LSU had some powerful teams in the early 60's. Their 1961-62 team may have had one of the best defenses of any team on record, when they held teams to less than an average of a touchdown a game during that span.

cj
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
While I agree the Tide and the ThugAssTigers are #1 and #2, the headline of Dewey Defeats Truman comes to mind.

Clemson, Boise, Stanford have a punchers chance in a one game situation vs anyone

If Clemson does, so does OSU. Clemson was life and death to beat a terrible Maryland team.

rastajenk
10-25-2011, 09:35 AM
And then they delivered a serious beatdown to a program (UNC) that always has a lot of pro prospects. One line in the pp's doesn't define the whole body of work. :)

maddog42
10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
If Clemson does, so does OSU. Clemson was life and death to beat a terrible Maryland team.
While I would love to see OSU play for a national title( except for beating OU in the final game), there defense is ranked somewhere around 100 in the ncaa. If they win out :fine, but this is not likely to happen. I do agree that OSU is better than Clemson.

cj
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
And then they delivered a serious beatdown to a program (UNC) that always has a lot of pro prospects. One line in the pp's doesn't define the whole body of work. :)

North Carolina stinks, pro prospects or not. They haven't had a real team since Brown left.

cj
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
While I would love to see OSU play for a national title( except for beating OU in the final game), there defense is ranked somewhere around 100 in the ncaa. If they win out :fine, but this is not likely to happen. I do agree that OSU is better than Clemson.

OSU finds a way to get turnovers. You don't win that many road games in a row by luck. I don't think can win it all either, but yes, they are better than Clemson and probably Stanford too. Boise? Who the hell knows?

sandpit
10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
North Carolina stinks, pro prospects or not. They haven't had a real team since Brown left.

Agreed, North Carolina was all out to beat Louisville, and nobody is gonna confuse the Cardinals with pre-eminent SEC talent.

dylbert
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM

Clemson, Boise, Stanford have a punchers chance in a one game situation vs anyoneSpeed kills, absolute speed kills absolutely. SEC elite teams have speed on both sides of the ball.

Oregon-LSU exposed that Ducks have some fast players on offense and defense. LSU had faster players in every matchup. What makes LSU and Alabama both dangerous is that there second- and third-string players are faster than opposition each week.

ThugAss Tigers comment is a bit extreme. Preseason incident was overzealous charges by local authorities. Bar fight without weapons does not usually garner felony charges. Ultimately, these charges became misdemeanor ones. Last week suspensions are classic youngsters doing stupid things and getting caught. Lots of us did stupid things in college too that didn't continue in our adult (aka post-college) lives.

dylbert
10-25-2011, 11:18 PM
While I would love to see OSU play for a national title( except for beating OU in the final game), there defense is ranked somewhere around 100 in the ncaa. If they win out :fine, but this is not likely to happen. I do agree that OSU is better than Clemson.OSU-Clemson is likely Fiesta or Orange Bowl matchup.

ElKabong
10-26-2011, 12:35 AM
ThugAss Tigers comment is a bit extreme. Preseason incident was overzealous charges by local authorities. Bar fight without weapons does not usually garner felony charges. Ultimately, these charges became misdemeanor ones. .

a- Kicking someone while on the ground is thuggish. Deal with it (kicking the kid off the team would have been the right call, but hey, you need that QB)

a- Of course the charges of kicking a kid while he was beaten and on the ground is a misdemeanor. He's going to be needed if Lee gets hurt :rolleyes:

ElKabong
10-26-2011, 12:38 AM
LSU had some powerful teams in the early 60's. Their 1961-62 team may have had one of the best defenses of any team on record, when they held teams to less than an average of a touchdown a game during that span.

I started watching college football in 1963, started playing pee wee in '64 (3rd grade). My coaches were talking about the Chinese Bandits (LSU) for years. Those were great teams & defenses at LSU in the late 50s and early 60s.

Later on the Bert Jones' era was fun to watch, the few games we got to see of him.

Marshall Bennett
10-26-2011, 02:24 AM
Later on the Bert Jones' era was fun to watch, the few games we got to see of him.
Glad you mentioned Bert Jones. Was trying my best to think of that name a week or so ago when the thread about players that didn't live up to expectations was around. Though Jones had some success with the Colts, hopes were that he'd be much more.
You're right though, he was fun to watch at Lsu.

Canarsie
10-26-2011, 07:13 AM

But if you are even borderline NFL material you would have to consider them as a training ground to get to the next level. Being an outstanding player on a mediocre team probably makes you stand out even more. Plus while illegal a star of a team will get their palm greased heavily more often then not. It doesn't hurt that your in the top three even on a bad team.

Miami got to be so good fast because they were far ahead of the curve developing a passing game and getting their players drafted high. Little did I know that they were cheating on a large scale for who knows how long.

How many times do we hear without so and so a teams record would be much worse?

Canarsie
10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
The only team that will want a rematch in the title game is the loser on Nov 5th.
The rest of the country doesn't want to see a rematch, even if the game is very close.

Hey ElKabong...we are not ThugAssTigers...we are not LSU...
we are the "U" of Louisiana State
Where's our 30 For 30 show? :D

I'm going to disagree as not a huge college football fanatic just love the game.

You would be surprised how many people consider the SEC to be the minor league training ground for the NFL. Their body of work winning the BCS will never be matched at least in my lifetime. What's the odds of four different teams winning it from the same conference in five years. Then throw in Florida repeating it is quite remarkable.

For television ratings the best game by far would be Stamford against the SEC champ if they stay undefeated. Personally I would like to see how Luck performs on a national stage against a defense (either team) that can really beat the hell out of you.

cj
10-26-2011, 09:49 AM
OSU-Clemson is likely Fiesta or Orange Bowl matchup.

Not if OSU wins out, which looks 50/50 at worst right now.

rgustafson
10-30-2011, 08:27 PM
New BCS rankings seem right on to me. Not like the AP or the coaches poll where Stanford is ranked 3rd or 4th. Not after what I saw Saturday night, and Some fool has the nerve to give them a first place vote.:D

cj
10-30-2011, 08:31 PM
OSU finds a way to get turnovers. You don't win that many road games in a row by luck. I don't think can win it all either, but yes, they are better than Clemson and probably Stanford too. Boise? Who the hell knows?

Hmmmm, prophetic?

highnote
10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Here are my Top 25 for week 10 based on Elo ratings.

Each team starts the season with 1000 points and the ratings are adjusted up or down based on home field advantage and point differential.

Alabama 1074.8
LSU 1072.5
Stanford 1068.6
Oklahoma 1068
Oklahoma St. 1064.1
Oregon 1057.2
Boise St. 1055.7
Houston 1054.2
Southern Miss 1051.6
Wisconsin 1049.9
Michigan 1048.6
Clemson 1044.7
TCU 1044.6
Cincinnati 1044.3
Virginia Tech 1044.2
Nebraska 1044.1
Penn St. 1042.8
Arkansas 1041.8
Georgia Tech 1041.5
S. Carolina 1041.1
Georgia 1040.9
Florida St. 1039
Notre Dame 1034.9
West Virginia 1034.9
Arizona St. 1034.3

rgustafson
10-31-2011, 07:41 AM
My bad as to Stanford's BCS ranking. I must have been looking at someone's projection and not the actual updated rankings. Still don't think they are that good.

Canarsie
10-31-2011, 09:22 AM
I was really impressed with Luck's ability to audible at the line recognizing defenses. He looked like a little Peyton Manning sizing up what he sees and then checks off. Newton has been spectacular but when interviewed by Gruden he admitted he only knew only a limited amount of plays. That makes his rookie year super sensational silencing every skeptic including me. Did anyone on here predict instant success for him? If so you are GREAT at evaluating talent apply to the NFL immediately.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/jon-gruden-puts-cam-newton-on-the-spot/

Stanford is pretty impressive as it's a great school academically and they probably are at the bottom of the pool in getting talent in football. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I can't recall any of their players getting bad press or arrested.

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Okie St gets beaten last night...this is wide open, and LSU has a very tough game vs Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving.
Oregon may get another shot, Alabama may get another shot, Oklahoma may get a shot.....

cj
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Okie St gets beaten last night...this is wide open, and LSU has a very tough game vs Arkansas the day after Thanksgiving.
Oregon may get another shot, Alabama may get another shot, Oklahoma may get a shot.....

It was pretty clear the OSU tragedy affected their play. I look for them to bounce back and beat OU and maybe sneak back in the picture.

PhantomOnTour
11-19-2011, 12:46 PM
It was pretty clear the OSU tragedy affected their play. I look for them to bounce back and beat OU and maybe sneak back in the picture.
Agreed, very tough circumstances under which to try to win a football game.
The game vs OU should be a great one to watch.

Condolensces to the OSU family after the tragedy this week.

stuball
11-19-2011, 05:25 PM
I heard that the plane crash that killed OSU coaches was piloted by an 82 year old alumni....what's wrong with this picture..or is it just me...
I know I would think twice and then refuse to get on a plane with an 82 year old
pilot...........

Stuball :confused:

ManU918
11-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I heard that the plane crash that killed OSU coaches was piloted by an 82 year old alumni....what's wrong with this picture..or is it just me...
I know I would think twice and then refuse to get on a plane with an 82 year old
pilot...........

Stuball :confused:

I wouldn't even get in a car with an 82 year old behind the wheel let alone an airplane.

Cardus
11-19-2011, 06:40 PM

Clemson just got punched out.

PhantomOnTour
11-27-2011, 10:04 AM
After it's all said & done i think the BCS will get it right.
Most will agree that the two best teams in the country are LSU and Bama, and it's a LONG way back to the rest of the pack.
I don't think another team can stay within 20pts of these two. We are the only teams that can hang with each other.

LSU still has to play Georgia in the SEC Title game, but i think the Tigers will be too much for the Dawgs. I think LSU gets in even if they get upset by UGA.
The Tigers and the Tide are pure power...most teams check out in the 3rd quarter and mail it in...physically beaten.

I will readily admit that i was hoping Stanford or Okie St would remain unbeaten and avoid a Bama rematch (they are scary!) but, if you wanna be the man you gotta beat the man...twice, in this instance :)

RIP - Larry Munson, longtime Georgia Bulldog play by play guy and the ULTIMATE homer. Some of his calls and expressions are classics:

Run Lindsay run!
We crushed their faces...just crushed them!
Four lousy seconds to go...four lousy seconds! (during a UGA loss)

Munson was a great guy :ThmbUp: Can't say enough about him
Came up with the Georgia rallying cry, "Hunker down Dawgs!"

PhantomOnTour
12-03-2011, 10:39 PM
GEAUX TIGERS !!!

Tyrann Mathieu is.....un....beeee....leeeeevable!

Bring on whoever for the title game....Tigers will kick their ass.

I imagine folks in T-town are starting to squirm a bit over that Oklahoma St score :D

Robert Fischer
12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
ROLL TIDE

Dahoss2002
12-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Geaux Tigers!!

cj
12-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Just another stupid year in college football where we have to guess who should be in the big game. Obviously this doesn't include LSU who are clearly number 1. After that, I see nothing on Alabama's resume that sets them clearly above OSU or even Stanford.

One question, if Alabama were to win, why do they have any better claim to number 1 than LSU does?

elysiantraveller
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
I kinda agree this year... I don't think the NC game means anything this year... even if LSU lost it I would consider them the best team this year.

Robert Fischer
12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Just another stupid year in college football where we have to guess who should be in the big game. Obviously this doesn't include LSU who are clearly number 1. After that, I see nothing on Alabama's resume that sets them clearly above OSU or even Stanford.

One question, if Alabama were to win, why do they have any better claim to number 1 than LSU does?

if BAMA crushes the Tighers we may have a case for "margin of victory" as well as "avenging" the only loss :cool:

cj
12-04-2011, 12:43 AM
if BAMA crushes the Tighers we may have a case for "margin of victory" as well as "avenging" the only loss :cool:

Yeah, but they lost at home. You play for 'Bama?

Dahoss2002
12-04-2011, 01:33 AM

It is a unique situation this year because LSU will be the only team with 13 wins regardless of what happens in the title game. The 14th win will be damned nice though .........GEAUX TIGERS!!

ElKabong
12-04-2011, 01:39 AM
Yeah, but they lost at home. You play for 'Bama?

Yeah, he's #5. You may wanna ax him for an autograph at Toga next summer.

fwiw, I agree with you on bama's missed opportunity. To paraphrase what I read elsewhere "Alabama played lsu at home, had every opportunity to win, but they weren't good enough to close the deal. They had it all laid in front of them and blew it. Let someone else have the opportunity that Bama couldn't deal with".

ManU918
12-04-2011, 06:17 AM
Oklahoma State two wins vs the top 10 Bama zero... enough said. They should get in. Bama had their shot vs LSU at home and lost.

Robert Goren
12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
The national championship game should never ever be a rematch of two teams that played the regular season. We all ready know that LSU is a better team than the Tide. Time to move on to somebody else.

Canarsie
12-04-2011, 08:01 AM
The national championship game should never ever be a rematch of two teams that played the regular season. We all ready know that LSU is a better team than the Tide. Time to move on to somebody else.

I have no "dog" in this debate but someone on ABC/ESPN had the right formula in my opinion.

Top two teams must win their conference championship to be seeded #1 and #2 and get byes. The next four teams are at large and have to play against each other to make the semifinals.

It looked like this before all the games finished. I might have the last teams wrong

:1: LSU :2: OSU
:4: Stanford :3: Alabama
:6: Arkansas or Houston :5: Va. Tech

I liked the way it was layed out rewarding a team for winning their conference. Just a hunch but they could probably double ticket prices for the first set of games and sell out. Never mind the TV money.

We all ready know that LSU is a better team than the Tide. Time to move on to somebody else.

You play for LSU? :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist and I'm as guilty as you except I use "my" for the Red Sox and Saints.

Robert Goren
12-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I have no "dog" in this debate but someone on ABC/ESPN had the right formula in my opinion.

Top two teams must win their conference championship to be seeded #1 and #2 and get byes. The next four teams are at large and have to play against each other to make the semifinals.

It looked like this before all the games finished. I might have the last teams wrong

I liked the way it was layed out rewarding a team for winning their conference. Just a hunch but they could probably double ticket prices for the first set of games and sell out. Never mind the TV money.

Sorry I couldn't resist and I'm as guilty as you except I use "my" for the Red Sox and Saints.Where Did I say "my" LSU. I do not care one iota about LSU or any the likely teams that could be in the championship game. As they say here in Nebraska. " We root for 2 teams. The Huskers and whoever is playing the Sooners." (Although I must admit that I have began to root pretty hard for whoever is playing Texas in the last several years too.) The second team will probably change in a few years now that Nebraska has moved to the Big 10.

Canarsie
12-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Where Did I say "my" LSU. I do not care one iota about LSU or any the likely teams that could be in the championship game. As they say here in Nebraska. " We root for 2 teams. The Huskers and whoever is playing the Sooners." (Although I must admit that I have began to root pretty hard for whoever is playing Texas in the last several years too.) The second team will probably change in a few years now that Nebraska has moved to the Big 10.

We all ready know that LSU is a better team than the Tide. Time to move on to somebody else.

This was supposed to be in the original post but my brain is disfunctional this morning. I stated that I use "my" but you used "we" one should never speak for everyone else that leads to trouble.

rastajenk
12-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Where would they play these games, and when? Who would go to them? Home games vs. neutral sites? Would they automatically be ratings successes? I'm not so sure about that.

PhantomOnTour
12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Let's just crown LSU champions and let Okla St. and Bama fight it out for #2...after all, that's the only real debate left, right? :)

Canarsie
12-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Where would they play these games, and when? Who would go to them? Home games vs. neutral sites? Would they automatically be ratings successes? I'm not so sure about that.

I would assume a major bowl where else would they play.

As far as ratings it would triple the basketball final four bare minimum. Just think when winter is starting and people stay home there is no better formula. If you don't believe me ask the NFL.

ElKabong
12-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Sorry I couldn't resist and I'm as guilty as you except I use "my" for the Red Sox and Saints.

I know your comment was light hearted & aimed at Robert, but I make the same mistake as well. But only with UT....I never say "we" when I speak of the Rangers or any other ballclub....odd, thought I'd pitch that in (so I can't blame those who say "we" from time to time).....

Also, I like the 6 team formula as well....11 game seasons, no CCG's after the season ends, last reg season weekend is the last weekend of November......

(a) #3-6, and #4-5 play on the first weekend of Dec as a "play-in" game", home field advantage to the higher seed.....

The winners play 2-3 seeds, w/ the #2 and #3 having home field adv, on the 4th weekend of Dec (to allow kids time to study for Finals).....

NC game held at a bowl (preferably Rose), two weeks after the semi finals. This way it's between semesters, and the kids can devote 100% of their time to the semis and the NC games

Canarsie
12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I know your comment was light hearted & aimed at Robert, but I make the same mistake as well. But only with UT....I never say "we" when I speak of the Rangers or any other ballclub....odd, thought I'd pitch that in (so I can't blame those who say "we" from time to time).....

I'm glad someone realizes when I'm just trying to have a little fun. I like Robert and know he can take it. But when I agree with him that's also stated.

maddog42
12-04-2011, 10:56 AM

I don't think this is a bad way to do things, but right now the Bowls are holding things up. These things take time. Right now let the bowls be the semifinals (top 4) and then a +1 NC game. I know, I know not what I really want either. A few years ago the powers that be were considering something like this. This would be a huge improvement. This would eventually evolve into a NC tournament(top8, or top 16). Wouldn't the top 4 this year be a LOT better than than an SEC rematch? Occasionally the top 2 teams would be in the same conference, so I am against the "must win conference" rule. Alabama this year is a quality team and deserves a shot, and so does OSU.

Dahoss2002
12-04-2011, 01:31 PM
I think OSU is gonna jump Bama and they deserve to. The computers already liked them but they were #5 in coaches with Va Tech#3. Their big win over OU coupled with Va tech's crushing defeat is gonna change that coach vote as well as sway some AP voters.
As far as the "deserve" goes, Stanford got beat handily by team LSU beat handily and did not win conference. Bama loses close at home, doesn't win conference or SEC West. OSU blows out perrenial Big 12 champ OU to become Big 12 champs. That looks like a title game matchup to me.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!

cj
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM

I agree...isn't one of the defenses of the BCS that it makes every game in the regular season count? A rematch basically tells LSU that beating Alabama on their field is meaningless.

maddog42
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I think OSU is gonna jump Bama and they deserve to. The computers already liked them but they were #5 in coaches with Va Tech#3. Their big win over OU coupled with Va tech's crushing defeat is gonna change that coach vote as well as sway some AP voters.
As far as the "deserve" goes, Stanford got beat handily by team LSU beat handily and did not win conference. Bama loses close at home, doesn't win conference or SEC West. OSU blows out perrenial Big 12 champ OU to become Big 12 champs. That looks like a title game matchup to me.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!

SB nation is predicting that OSU will overtake Alabama in the BCS Poll. They also have some harsh words to say about CBS sports and their shameless promotion of Alabama:

"CBS's shameless and disingenuous cheerleading for Alabama ultimately will prove to have done more harm to the Tide than help. If the SEC's network home had done nothing, it's likely it wouldn't have caused enough voters to have such a revulsion to reject an LSU-Alabama rematch. Whereas Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson definitely made the difference in Florida's favor in 2006, the opposite might be true in this case."

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/4/2609593/bcs-rankings-standings-projections-oklahoma-state-alabama

The voting/computer ranking will be very close in the BCS. I was definitely getting sick of the CBS hype for Bama. Money talks.

elysiantraveller
12-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I agree...isn't one of the defenses of the BCS that it makes every game in the regular season count? A rematch basically tells LSU that beating Alabama on their field is meaningless.

The BCS is just a computer program designed to spit out the two best teams... The computer thinks that despite losing to LSU at home Alabama is still that much better than everyone else.

If you honestly asked yourself who are the best two teams in the country would you personally come up with LSU and Alabama?

I would...

cj
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
The BCS is just a computer program designed to spit out the two best teams... The computer thinks that despite losing to LSU at home Alabama is still that much better than everyone else.

If you honestly asked yourself who are the best two teams in the country would you personally come up with LSU and Alabama?

I would...
No, I wouldn't. Alabama had two tough games all year and they went 1-1, losing at home. Their schedule was weak. The computer doesn't account for things like the tragedy the morning of OSU's loss.

maddog42
12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

I would...

BCSGuru.com has tweeted that Bama needs a 53 point lead over OSU (in the Harris) to go to BCS title game. This is going to be the tightest BCS ever, and according to some the only time the computers have made a difference since the formula was changed a few years back with human polls making up 2/3 of the formula. Virginia Tech losing made this possible with many more third place votes going to the Cowboys.

elysiantraveller
12-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Both teams played three teams currently still in the coaches poll. OkSt went 3-0 and Bama went 2-1 losing to LSU...

Unless we want to continue considering beating Texas A&M a quality win...

maddog42
12-05-2011, 04:37 PM
BCSGuru.com has tweeted that Bama needs a 53 point lead over OSU (in the Harris) to go to BCS title game. This is going to be the tightest BCS ever, and according to some the only time the computers have made a difference since the formula was changed a few years back with human polls making up 2/3 of the formula. Virginia Tech losing made this possible with many more third place votes going to the Cowboys.

Bama was very lucky in the Harris. BCSguru.com said they needed to have 53 point advantage in the Harris, they got 67.

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Okay...time for me to shake off that NFL disaster yesterday...we've got BUSINESS tonight.
And yes, my team needs me to be emotionally firing on all cylinders in order for them to play at their best.

GEAUX TIGERS....VICTORY FOR L-S-U

PhantomOnTour
01-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Let's go LSU !!!
Finish off the best season in school history tonight

Pace Cap'n
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Finally it's halftime. What a crock. Six quarters now without a TD, and they're trying to tell us these are the two best teams in the country? How either one of them beat the Razorbacks is a mystery to me. If no one scores a touchdown, then Oklahoma State should be the champ. Actually, they probably should be anyway.

elysiantraveller
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Outside of the time they played each other LSU has scored under 30 points once this season and been over 40 a total of 9 times. Alabama has been under 30 twice and over 40 5 times.

People don't like all this defense which is a personal preference but these are the two best teams.

cj
01-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Outside of the time they played each other LSU has scored under 30 points once this season and been over 40 a total of 9 times. Alabama has been under 30 twice and over 40 5 times.

People don't like all this defense which is a personal preference but these are the two best teams.

To be fair, they played a lot of bad teams this year. Maybe they are the two best, maybe not, but such is the sad state of college football.

elysiantraveller
01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
To be fair, they played a lot of bad teams this year. Maybe they are the two best, maybe not, but such is the sad state of college football.

Who played a tougher schedule than LSU?

cj
01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Who played a tougher schedule than LSU?

I didn't say they didn't have tough games, but they had plenty of cupcakes on there where they ran up a lot of points. I'm not sure watching these offenses how anyone can be sure the two best teams are playing.

cj
01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
When does Six Nations Rugby start? That is way better than watching this.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 10:44 PM
What did Les Miles ever do to Ofeensive football, anyways? It's like he can't have one.

The Punk Ass QB of theirs looks weak. I guess the Bama defense isn't laying on the ground & can defend iteself....That's confusing Jefferson I guess.

So far Alabama is winning this soccer game. Bama can't hit open WRs for scores, LSU doesn't have an offense, let alone a QB that can't help hisownself from throwing underhanded interceptions.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Let's go LSU !!!
Finish off the best season in school history tonight

Apparently you didn't get the memo....Les Miles and LSU can't win a national title without losing 2 games.

Perfection? Not for LSU. Not for Les Miles either. Not in the DNA, hun.

15-0

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
When does Six Nations Rugby start? That is way better than watching this.

15-0...that's a six possesion game tonight, no?

If anything, both teams have proven they have inept offenses when it comes to cashing in. No different than in Oct....good D? Yes.....but no one is able to hit wide open WRs downfield w/ a chance at a td....McCarron has had his chances.

It's almost like Saban is looking across the field at badhat Les saying "I don't HAVE to score a td on your stupid ass to beat you".

That's the only entertaining part of this game, really. Well, that and watching Jefferson staring at his RB after throwing an underhanded pick as if he stole his prison pants

cj
01-09-2012, 10:58 PM
I had to check to see if they were wearing leather helmets.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:01 PM
4th and 2 or 3 near midfield, down by 15 with 12 minutes left...Whattya do, Les Miles?.............PUNT

Lestacles, no more......Nostacles tonight

NJ Stinks
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I'll tell you what. LSU's defense is nothing short of tremendous. They have been on the field all night long and still no TD's by Bama.

Those LSU guys on D deserve better.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
honeybadgah got no room to roam on punt returns this fine evening.....this little fact is contrary to his pregame prediction. I feel so cheated. I do like Jazz, you know....

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I'll tell you what. LSU's defense is nothing short of tremendous. They have been on the field all night long and still no TD's by Bama.

Those LSU guys on D deserve better.

Trivia question: How many TD's does a team have score tonight to beat LSU?

I'd give a hint,, but that would be cheating....

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Jefferson on 3rd and long, misses an easy td pass....this guy makes David Ash look like John f'n Elway

How appropriate.....the drive ends, on the LSU side of midfield.....

To quote Bernie Shaw from CNN : "This is turning into a ****ing disaster"

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Finally it's halftime. What a crock. Six quarters now without a TD, and they're trying to tell us these are the two best teams in the country? How either one of them beat the Razorbacks is a mystery to me. If no one scores a touchdown, then Oklahoma State should be the champ. Actually, they probably should be anyway.

Make that 7 and a half quarters...and the kitty's cave in to Trent Richardson :)

No wonder Landon Collins turned down LSU. Nice decision young man.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Down by 21 and on 4th down Lesstacles punts? Really?? You just simply give up?

This guy is a quitter. He was a choker at oSu, now he's a quitter.

cj
01-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Down by 21 and on 4th down Lesstacles punts? Really?? You just simply give up?

This guy is a quitter. He was a choker at oSu, now he's a quitter.

Honestly, I thought there was no way the game could be worse than the first meeting. I was, sadly, very wrong.

KingChas
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
The most pussified performance by a quarterback and the worst coaching I have ever seen in in a BSC.(Bull Shit Championship)

George Jefferson two yards and Miles to go!

We need playoffs screw college football.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:46 PM
The most pussified performance by a quarterback and the worst coaching I have ever seen in in a BSC.(Bull Shit Championship)

George Jefferson two yards and Miles to go!

We need playoffs screw college football.

Les fooled us again with his gutsy gameplanning. Punting on 4th down with 3 minutes to go and down by 21 points....obviously he was thinking "I'm putting this game on the back on this fine, damn strong defense I have".

No balls. Nonewhatsover.

ElKabong
01-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Honestly, I thought there was no way the game could be worse than the first meeting. I was, sadly, very wrong.

Jefferson averaged 3 yards per pass attempt.....and that doesn't take sacks into account. Pure passing stat.

3 yards.....3 yards....who does that?
SEC! SEC! SEC!

newtothegame
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
As an LSU fan, now is time for honesty!
Les Miles, for all of the "madhatter" plays he is praised for, the guy proved tonight to be a TOTAL idiot!
All year long, we hear how this is a TWO qb system. Now this is not to say Lee would of made a difference, but, it was painfully OBVIOUS that Jefferson was not going to give us a chance. So, why not put in Lee? Was it because you may not win coach? Hell, that was going to happen anyway if you were watching the same game as the rest of the country.
Tonight, your defense put up a very nice effort, only to have the other side of the ball totally lifeless.
It is performances like this that coaches get fired for. And, I know this post is right after one of the most dismal performances I can recall in LSU recent history, but it wouldnt bother me if that were tomorrows headlines.
Another coach here in Louisiana did the same thing, only on the pro level.
Haslett fell in love with Arron Brooks, with Delhomme on the bench, and created a disaster...ultimately costing him his job.
This is not to compare Lee to delhomme, just the circumstances.
Jus saying!

RXB
01-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Alabama is the best team in college football. Should've won the first matchup, seemed like every break went against them. Tonight they dominated. That's as good a college defence as I've ever seen based not only on tonight's performance but on the other Bama games I saw, too.

Nobody else all year got within 10 points of LSU.

elysiantraveller
01-09-2012, 11:57 PM
As an LSU fan, now is time for honesty!
Les Miles, for all of the "madhatter" plays he is praised for, the guy proved tonight to be a TOTAL idiot!
All year long, we hear how this is a TWO qb system. Now this is not to say Lee would of made a difference, but, it was painfully OBVIOUS that Jefferson was not going to give us a chance. So, why not put in Lee? Was it because you may not win coach? Hell, that was going to happen anyway if you were watching the same game as the rest of the country.
Tonight, your defense put up a very nice effort, only to have the other side of the ball totally lifeless.
It is performances like this that coaches get fired for. And, I know this post is right after one of the most dismal performances I can recall in LSU recent history, but it wouldnt bother me if that were tomorrows headlines.
Another coach here in Louisiana did the same thing, only on the pro level.
Haslett fell in love with Arron Brooks, with Delhomme on the bench, and created a disaster...ultimately costing him his job.
This is not to compare Lee to delhomme, just the circumstances.
Jus saying!

I agree. We've talked a lot about piss poor coaching this Bowl season but this was hands down the absolute worst I've seen...

newtothegame
01-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Alabama is the best team in college football. Should've won the first matchup, seemed like every break went against them. Tonight they dominated. That's as good a college defence as I've ever seen based not only on tonight's performance but on the other Bama games I saw, too.

Nobody else all year got within 10 points of LSU.

Alright n ow, lets not get carried away. Was Bama much better tonight? ABSOLUTELY. To use one of your words, they dominated LSU tonight. But, it didnt hurt that LSU has no real QB play and Jefferson looked as bad as any time this year tonight. Confused, almost scared back there.
Coaching...Miles was outcoached by a MILE tonight.
As to their first meeting, you can talk what ifs, and this and that...but LSU won IN TUSCALOOSA no less.
Bama is and deserves to be national champions.....
Was Bama's defense so great against the likes of Ga Southern when they put up over 300 yds RUSHING against the tide?
I know, your reply will be its ONE game......
My point is it's easy to say after the fact. LSU has a defense that I would rank right up there with anyone in the country. Tonight, they gave up a few plays which cost them. Offense did not help out the defense any.......
Fact is Miles is an idiot for not at least giving his team a chance by pulling Jefferson.
But again, hats off to Bama....great game, game plan, and their national championship.
Next year might be a bit different when we actually have a QB who can play the position!

KingChas
01-10-2012, 12:04 AM
To put it in perspective;
Okie State would have given Alabama a much better run.
They would probable have lost, Alabama is an awesome defensive football team.
But I would have bet my bottom dollar, they would have scored some TD's.

Which would have been been better than watching my 2nd NCAA soccer rematch of the year.

And been much more enjoyable.

newtothegame
01-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Okie State would have given Alabama a much better run.
They would probable have lost, Alabma is an awesome defensive football team.

Which would have been been better than watching my 2nd NCAA soccer rematch of the year.

And been much more enjoyable.
LOL funny!!! Cause if it were OK state, it would NOT of been bama. They would of had to play LSU. But, nice try.....

KingChas
01-10-2012, 12:12 AM
LOL funny!!! Cause if it were OK state, it would NOT of been bama. They would of had to play LSU. But, nice try.....

Correction;
Okie State would have given LSU or Alabama a much better run.
They would probable have lost, Alabama and LSU are awesome defensive football teams.

And been much more enjoyable

Sorry New,that' :eek: s the 1st time I ever drank more beers at halftime than points scored..... :D .............

newtothegame
01-10-2012, 12:13 AM
Correction;
Okie State would have given LSU or Alabama a much better run.
They would probable have lost, Alabama is an awesome defensive football team.

And been much more enjoyable

Sorry New,that' :eek: s the 1st time I ever drank more beers at halftime than points scored..... :D .............
LOL ....ok, wish I was in your boat lol.....

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
RE: LSU's qb situation next year...

Most likely they'll have a frosh QB starting by early October....with Les Miles that means a close to the vest offense in tight games

IOW, the same as tonight.

re:oSu.....It would have been nice to see what the Pokes could do vs either Bama or LSU regardless of venue....neither D saw an offense like that this year after mid Sept. Not even close.

I agree that defenses win titles, but neither team in tonite's game showed they had much of an offense to take on any kind of defense. LSU tonight proved having a great defense doesn't gurantee you a damn thing if you can't move the ball. They couldn't muster a first down for an entire half vs Ga, tonite they were both predictable and inept in their execution.. and poorly coached - not to mention undisciplined.

Robert Goren
01-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Les Miles should be name coach of the century for beating Bama the first time. Bama is clearly the best team in the country by quite a bit. Somehow Miles beat them them at Bama. I can't think of another coach who could have done that.

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Les Miles should be name coach of the century for beating Bama the first time. Bama is clearly the best team in the country by quite a bit. Somehow Miles beat them them at Bama. I can't think of another coach who could have done that.

Bama's FG kickers missed 4 field goals in that first game. That's the only reason LSU "won" that night. Bama outplayed em. Couldn't outkick em.

WWII Vets had a saying about the French. "They **** with their face and fight with their feet". That saying came to mind when I watched the game in October. It was decided by kickers not being able to do better than 2 of 6

elysiantraveller
01-10-2012, 12:37 AM
RE: LSU's qb situation next year...

Most likely they'll have a frosh QB starting by early October....with Les Miles that means a close to the vest offense in tight games

IOW, the same as tonight.

re:oSu.....It would have been nice to see what the Pokes could do vs either Bama or LSU regardless of venue....neither D saw an offense like that this year after mid Sept. Not even close.

I agree that defenses win titles, but neither team in tonite's game showed they had much of an offense to take on any kind of defense. LSU tonight proved having a great defense doesn't gurantee you a damn thing if you can't move the ball. They couldn't muster a first down for an entire half vs Ga, tonite they were both predictable and inept in their execution.. and poorly coached - not to mention undisciplined.

Watching Alabama or LSU beat Ok ST. 42-21 wouldn't have really been any better...

Dahoss2002
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Congrats to Bama, they deserve it! Great season for Tigers with exception of this game. 13-1. Can't wait till next year. Mettenberger should start if nothing happens. GEAUX TIGERS!!

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Watching Alabama or LSU beat Ok ST. 42-21 wouldn't have really been any better...

Yeah, kinda like USC 2005 being "the greatest college football team of all time" per espn polls a week before TEXAS beat them. "Opinion"

The championship should be open to challengers on the field. Not via voting on who gets to play. Some SEC area Harris Poll voters voted oSu far down the polls so the sec could get this non productive rematch. The system is broke. Either a play-in / +1, or a 4 team playoff would go a long way to make championships more acceptable. This year, wasn't

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Congrats to Bama, they deserve it! Great season for Tigers with exception of this game. 13-1. Can't wait till next year. Mettenberger should start if nothing happens. GEAUX TIGERS!!

something happened, and his name is gunner kiel.....

with Bama's recent recruiting and Bama's superior coaching over Miles, be prepared to play 2nd fiddle for quite some time. Bama has the top ranked recruiting class this year so far, has some difference makers coming in.

Nothing to be ashamed of, the Tide has it rolling. Only thing that can stop them at the moment is a bad FG kicker

Dahoss2002
01-10-2012, 01:32 AM

with Bama's recent recruiting and Bama's superior coaching over Miles, be prepared to play 2nd fiddle for quite some time. Bama has the top ranked recruiting class this year so far, has some difference makers coming in.

Nothing to be ashamed of, the Tide has it rolling. Only thing that can stop them at the moment is a bad FG kicker

Bama has a higher ranked recruiting class than LSU every year. The Miles vs Saban record is 3-3. I'm glad we got the Kiel kid but Mettenberger is gonna be hard to beat out. He reminds me of Bert Jones, the "Ruston Rifle". Also have a spread/option qb, Jerrard Randall and then Stephen Rivers. I'm really looking forward to Gunnar though. Hope he's as good as all the analysts think.
GEAUX TIGERS!!

newtothegame
01-10-2012, 01:33 AM

Elk, your hatred for the SEC really permiates your , or should I say any logic, in your post.
Should we make a separate category for FG kickers? I mean after all, they arent really part of the "team" are they? I bet Boise wishes they had a FG kicker too...or should we just nominate them number one the past TWO years???
:lol:

highnote
01-10-2012, 04:55 AM
It looks like there is a good chance of some kind of playoff next year.

I'd like to see a hybrid playoff/bowl scenario.

For example, all NCAA Div 1 teams play a 10 game regular season.

1.) 32 teams make the playoffs.

2.) Teams that don't make the playoffs get to play a bowl game and are therefore guaranteed an 11 game season.

3.) The losers of the first round of the playoffs get to play in a bowl game as a bonus. Therefore, first round playoff losers are guaranteed a 12 game season.

Each game of the later rounds would have a sponsor. The Tostito Elite 8 North East Division Bowl, for example.

The playoffs would then culminate with a national championship.

The two teams in the National Championship would have a 15 game season.

PhantomOnTour
01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Well, what a fine ending to the season I've had for my two favorite football teams :rolleyes:

It's been a tremendous few days :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sorry y'all had to watch that performance last night by LSU.

However, when you are lucky enough to have your favorite team at or near the top in their sport, these types of crushing defeats come with the territory.
Gotta deal with 'em and keep your chin up...i'm in the midst of that right now.
Fine season by LSU, just not quite fine enough.
Congrats to the Crimson Tide of Alabama

LottaKash
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Sorry y'all had to watch that performance last night by LSU.

Me too, I was looking forward to bang-up good game, but the Tigers were simply outfoxed, imo...

Still, congrats to LSU, they did make it over the 50 yd line.....:rolleyes:

best,

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Elk, your hatred for the SEC really permiates your , or should I say any logic, in your post.
Should we make a separate category for FG kickers? I mean after all, they arent really part of the "team" are they? I bet Boise wishes they had a FG kicker too...or should we just nominate them number one the past TWO years???
:lol:

i'm so glad you take all my posts as gospel there, NTG.

But to be perfectly clear -and serious- Les Miles coaching job last night was the worst I've ever seen in an MNC game save one Bobby Stoops vs USC. That's a fact. Stoops surpised me a bit...Bad Hat Leslie? Notsomuch. He's a freeking idiot.

Running the same play sets over and over...from the same formations...with the same results. That's Les Miles

And he's all yours.

"Logic" tells me Les Miles won't have a perfect season unless he's coaching 4A district 9 football in some small out of the way state that has problems fielding teams. That logic is fact until he does it.

Face it, you have a coach that can't win a MNC without doing so with two losses.

And he's all yours

Enjoy :jump:

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Me too, I was looking forward to bang-up good game, but the Tigers were simply outfoxed, imo...

Still, congrats to LSU, they did make it over the 50 yd line.....:rolleyes:

best,

You know, they crossed the midfield stripe just when I went to take a leak....I finish, wash my hands, come back in the room and lo and behold that Punk Ass QB was lying on his ass on his own side of the field again, this time without the ball...Bama done drove his ass past midfield and took the ball away from him

What an offensive juggernaut! ;)

LottaKash
01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
You know, they crossed the midfield stripe just when I went to take a leak....I finish, wash my hands, come back in the room and lo and behold that Punk Ass QB was lying on his ass on his own side of the field again, this time without the ball...Bama done drove his ass past midfield and took the ball away from him

What an offensive juggernaut! ;)

And that forward "shovel pass" directly to Bama....did you miss that one ?....or 3-minutes to go in the game, tigers are down 21 points, and they punt ?....:D

best,

ElKabong
01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Couldn't figure out if that was a Wilt Chamberlain free throw "pass", or a pro bowling tour "pass".

Not much to watch, Les Miles teams....it was either that or the When Disaster Strikes marathon over on the NGC channel or somesuch.....I figured Leslie's offense was going to be the bigger disaster so I chose the game to watch instead

ElKabong
01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
And that forward "shovel pass" directly to Bama....did you miss that one ?....

best,

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=8559066&p=1&sto=MS_114658556

Seeing is believing.....

LottaKash
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=8559066&p=1&sto=MS_114658556

Seeing is believing.....

Funny EL K....Maybe he thought he was throwing to oBAMA instead of BAMA...Well, that would be sort of supporting the prez, wouldn't it ?..

best,

ElKabong
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Just saw something that epitomizes the lack of class of many SEC fans.

Go to youtube, search for "corndogs and nuts...roll tide"

A drunk LSU fan (surprise surprise) is passed out in a mall eatery or somesuch, the crowd is largely alabama fans. Classy roll tide fans then become, well, (surprise surprise) the SEC fanbase norm.

One guy whips out his pencilprick, humps the passed out LSU guy on the back of the head, then from behind.

And the crowd laughs & cheers. No one tries to stop the nonsense.

Deliverance lives...Who needs stereotypes when the real thing lives on. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the SEC, aggy. Congrats, you've found a group that's even lower on the chain than you could have imagined

There are good people from that part of the country, I guess all the classless morons and deviants gravitate towards SEC fandom

highnote
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
This behavior is not limited to just SEC fans. This seems to be a human condition.

The recent hot trend is urinating on a rival and posting it on youtube. At least he wasn't videotaped doing that!

Although, the fact that he was videotaped and it was uploaded to youtube is kind of keeping with the trend.

Just saw something that epitomizes the lack of class of many SEC fans.

Go to youtube, search for "corndogs and nuts...roll tide"

A drunk LSU fan (surprise surprise) is passed out in a mall eatery or somesuch, the crowd is largely alabama fans. Classy roll tide fans then become, well, (surprise surprise) the SEC fanbase norm.

One guy whips out his pencilprick, humps the passed out LSU guy on the back of the head, then from behind.

And the crowd laughs & cheers. No one tries to stop the nonsense.

Deliverance lives...Who needs stereotypes when the real thing lives on. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the SEC, aggy. Congrats, you've found a group that's even lower on the chain than you could have imagined

There are good people from that part of the country, I guess all the classless morons and deviants gravitate towards SEC fandom

ElKabong
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Can't say I've ever seen what I saw on that youtube link--- which btw has been taken down. Deadspin reprted the kid wearing LSU colors wasn't breathing, reportedly dead

Likely a rumor, but still...that kid was lifeless, gets Deliveranced from behind while unconscience. I hope the bama tard spends time behind bars

Kill trees on a rivals campus, perform homo acts in public without anyone stopping the nonsense....Stay classy, bama & SEC

ElKabong
01-18-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm glad we got the Kiel kid but Mettenberger is gonna be hard to beat out. He reminds me of Bert Jones, the "Ruston Rifle". Also have a spread/option qb, Jerrard Randall and then Stephen Rivers. I'm really looking forward to Gunnar though. Hope he's as good as all the analysts think.
GEAUX TIGERS!!

Looks like Kiel backed out on Lester and his bad hat today, he enrolled at Notre Dame this morning. Must have seen that "wide open" offensive style they run in baton rouge & thought better of his decision, eh?

Justa thought...If Mettenberger or whatever his name is was so good, why was he on the bench all year long? The QB on the field last week sure was awful.

But Mettzenbrugenn ought to fit right in as QB for the kitties. He left Georgia after pleading guilty to (not one, but TWO !)sexual battery charges. Tradition: Where would SEC football be without it?

Dahoss2002
01-18-2012, 03:49 AM
Looks like Kiel backed out on Lester and his bad hat today, he enrolled at Notre Dame this morning. Must have seen that "wide open" offensive style they run in baton rouge & thought better of his decision, eh?

Justa thought...If Mettenberger or whatever his name is was so good, why was he on the bench all year long? The QB on the field last week sure was awful.

But Mettzenbrugenn ought to fit right in as QB for the kitties. He left Georgia after pleading guilty to (not one, but TWO !)sexual battery charges. Tradition: Where would SEC football be without it?
Hope everything works out for Gunner. Early in 2011, it was Bama and Oklahoma. Then the verbal to Indiana, then LSU. At least he stayed close to his home with Notre Dame.
I do have reservations about Mett. Part of his sentence in Georgia included never stepping foot in that County again. What is it with the "Berger" guys? :confused:
We also have a spread qb and Phillip Rivers little brother Stephen who was listed at 6'7" 195 as a freshman. Is that skinny? LOL :lol: