PDA

View Full Version : PC hard drive shortage looms...

DJofSD
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
...due to floods. WDC and Seagate impacted.

Read: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Thai-floods-hard-drive-rb-1717482084.html?x=0&.v=1

wilderness
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Bought two new ones about a month ago.
Looks like my timing was good for once.

More than a decade ago the price of memory chips more than doubled because of a shortage for some chemical used to manufacture the chips. Prices doubled for a while and then never went back down, until the technology for memory chips changed.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Forget about shortages...I'm worried about quality control...

Seagate is only affected as much as their part suppliers are affected.

Western Digital, on the other hand, got slammed at their main production plant, did they not? That can't bode well for quality once they get that started up again....

Looks like it's Seagate for me from now on...not that I buy a lot of hard drives...

DJofSD
10-25-2011, 08:34 AM
I bought a couple of WD 2 TB drives yesterday. Selves are starting to look bare.

When I stopped by a business yesterday to get an estimate on a case/MoBo build, first thing the guy told me was hard drives were going to be a problem.

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Forget about shortages...I'm worried about quality control...

Seagate is only affected as much as their part suppliers are affected.

Western Digital, on the other hand, got slammed at their main production plant, did they not? That can't bode well for quality once they get that started up again....

Looks like it's Seagate for me from now on...not that I buy a lot of hard drives...

That's a great idea it used to happen way back when also. The reliability of certain manufacturers led many people to switch allegiances.

Guess I'll have to spring for one more external drive one can never have enough backups or multiple backups.

Now I have a question to ask. How many times has a hard drive failed on anyone here during the warranty? I only had it happen once and it was replaced immediately. To the best of my knowledge they took my credit card as a backup if it wasn't mailed back. Can't remember the company but it was part of the Big 3 back then.

Canarsie
10-31-2011, 04:23 PM
This just in.

Hard drive prices skyrocket

http://www.infoworld.com/t/computer-hardware/hard-drive-prices-skyrocket-177515?source=IFWNLE_nlt_daily_2011-10-31

DJofSD
11-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the update.

Perhaps I was taken in by the story. The project I have going for a number of my PCs at home requires HDDs. I needed to buy them anyways, so, at least I beat the price increases. It's not like I went into panic mode and started to hoard drives.

In the end, all of this will pass.