PDA

View Full Version : Boxer Chuck Wepner

cj's dad
10-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Wednesday evening at 8 on ESPN. Should be interesting.

Here's a clip of the 15th and final round vs. Muhammad Ali in 1975.

x7I-98nGXcc

Overlay
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I remember Wepner saying before the bout that he would win if he and Ali went at it in a dark alley. One sportswriter subsequently commented that, unfortunately, the fight was contested in a well-lit arena.

ManU918
10-24-2011, 09:24 AM
This guys best win came against Randy Neumann (Which isn't saying much)... Is this show going to be based on his fight with Ali or his career?

cj's dad
10-24-2011, 09:43 AM
This guys best win came against Randy Neumann (Which isn't saying much)... Is this show going to be based on his fight with Ali or his career?

iMO his best win was against Ernie Terrell.

I think it will be a mix of the Ali fight and how (according to Stallone) it was the inspiration for the movie Rocky.

It will also be interesting if the "knockdown" of Ali is discussed. Chuck apparently stepped on Ali's foot and at the same time hit him with a solid body shot. Ali I seem to recall caused the foot thing to cause him to be off balance.

I also remember meeting him in a bar on Broadway in Bayonne N.J. I don't know if he owned the place or just hung out there.The scar tissue on this guy's face was unreal.

Overlay
10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I also remember meeting him in a bar on Broadway in Bayonne N.J. I don't know if he owned the place or just hung out there.The scar tissue on this guy's face was unreal.
Aside from the scar tissue, is he in a better physical condition now than Ali?

Tom
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
The Bayonne Bleeder!

cj's dad
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Aside from the scar tissue, is he in a better physical condition now than Ali?

I met him in 1985 when I was doing radar calibration for several merchant ships docked at the Bayonne naval supply depot. Back then which was 26 years ago, he was in fine shape. I would have no idea of his present condition.
He will be 72 in February.

BTW, the film title is:

ESPN will air a documentary titled "The Real Rocky" in October, 2011.

Canarsie
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I knew one of Chuck's ex wives she was a real sweet gal.

One Chuck story certified true I was there.

I was at Shea Stadium when he went up against Andre the Giant my friend was a huge wrestling fan and asked me to go. Needless to say it wasn't worth the money even with Ali vs Inoki. On the way home we stopped at a White Castle I can't remember if it was Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst. I can't stand their burgers but my friend loves them guess you have to acquire a certain taste for them. Anyway it's only a few hours removed from the Shea Stadium match and who is in there? Chuck with two beautiful gals just being a regular guy. He wasn't married to the lady I knew at the time.

I know he was a liquor salesman for quite some time have no idea what he's doing today. Should be a good watch.