PDA

View Full Version : Peddling Emails

bigmack
10-22-2011, 08:56 PM
The one email I use for an account @ TwinSpires.com has been sold to NYRA and a few others for marketing porpoises. Is that commonplace in the industry?

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Come on...you're more savvy than to ask that kind of question.

For the record, I have never sold anyone's email to any third-party entity...yet... :lol:

bigmack
10-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Come on...you're more savvy than to ask that kind of question.
Rats. Busted.

I guess I was trying to ferret out the extent of this practice amongst vendors in the industry.

HuggingTheRail
10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
For the record, I have never sold anyone's email to any third-party entity...yet... :lol:

Would you get anything for ours? :confused: :D

PaceAdvantage
10-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Would you get anything for ours? :confused: :DYou'd be surprised...

cj
10-23-2011, 12:45 AM
Even for a smaller site like mine, much smaller, I've had offers. I would never sell personal stuff like that.

andymays
10-23-2011, 07:20 AM
http://lists.nextmark.com/market;jsessionid=42845F6BC73EEB69571FB0E91F7EA69C ?page=order/online/datacard&id=207275

Excerpt:

All About Gambling Mailing List

THESE INTERNET GAMING SUBSCRIBERS TAKE A CHANCE WEEKLY BY PLACING BETS ONLINE THROUGH GAMING WEB SITES. THEY HAVE MADE A DEPOSIT WITH A CREDIT CARD OR CHECK DRAFT TO CONTINUE PLACING BETS.
DESCRIPTION

THESE INTERNET GAMING SUBSCRIBERS TAKE A CHANCE WEEKLY BY PLACING BETS ONLINE THROUGH GAMING WEB SITES. THEY HAVE MADE A DEPOSIT WITH A CREDIT CARD OR CHECK DRAFT TO CONTINUE PLACING BETS. MANY OF THE INTERNET GAMING ACTIVITIES INCLUDE BLACKJACK, BINGO, POKER, WAR, ROULETTE, SLOTS, CRAPS, KENO, BACCARAT AND PLACING BETS ON THEIR FAVORITE SPORTING EVENT.

THE AVERAGE AGE OF THESE ACTIVE GAMBLERS IS 45 AND THEIR AVERAGE INCOME IS $50,000. MANY SPEND SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS ANNUALLY ON THE GAME OF CHANCE, ANTICIPATING THE BIG WIN.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom
10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Those who sell emails have no integrity.
Best to avoid doing business as much as possible with these low-lifes.

andymays
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
E-mail Marketing - Direct Marketing News

http://www.dmnews.com/email-marketing/section/223/

Dave Schwartz
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Even for a smaller site like mine, much smaller, I've had offers. I would never sell personal stuff like that

I see it precisely like CJ.

If I find something that I think is useful to our followers, I will send it along or even advertise it. But sell a list? Never.

Dave Schwartz

iceknight
10-24-2011, 01:43 AM
The one email I use for an account @ TwinSpires.com has been sold to NYRA and a few others for marketing porpoises (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porpoise) . Is that commonplace in the industry?

I am quite amused that marine mammals are being marketed by the horse racing industry now!!

In theory though, that "Terms and Conditions" which we all very quickly say ok to while signing up for different accounts or forums have a privacy policy which usually includes "sharing with partners". So, even if NYRA and Twinspires do one partnership (on TV rights or wagering takeout shares, etc anything) that makes them partners and they can and will share emails, unless we explicity ask them not to.

bigmack
10-24-2011, 01:52 AM
I am quite amused that marine mammals are being marketed by the horse racing industry now!!
See malapropism. See Slip.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tHVfHpnv17g/StnIdDkpFfI/AAAAAAAAGUI/zEisMz-d92M/s400/Leo%2520Gorcey.jpg

iceknight
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=bigmack]See malapropism. See Slip.

Of course! After all the races are done on Sun night and I still have some time to kill, anything can seem amusing. That is why that comment was just part of my response. :3x: :19:

Robert Fischer
10-24-2011, 10:58 PM
... unless we explicity ask them not to.

while we are discussing semantic faux pas, thought you may find a cheap thrill in the explicit persuasion

iceknight
11-13-2011, 09:19 AM
while we are discussing semantic faux pas, thought you may find a cheap thrill in the explicit persuasion

Hey!! Good eye! :)

takeout
11-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Those who sell emails have no integrity.
Best to avoid doing business as much as possible with these low-lifes.True that. And should you mess up like I did (ordered a book from the wrong place) you will also get phone calls from said scum.

Tom
11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I enjoy phone calls from this brand of scum
Really enjoy, them, if you get my drift. ;)

MONEY
11-13-2011, 11:26 AM
About a year ago my sister gave some money via the internet to one of those "Save the dogs" charities.

It was literally only a few hours before the phone calls & emails started coming from every charity that you could think of & many that you wouldn't know existed.

After about a week it got ridiculous, 10 to 20 calls & about 50 emails daily, and the snail mail started to arrive.

In order to stop the communications she had to change her email address & phone number. There is no way to stop the snail mail.

She learned her lesson & has vowed never to give anything to any charity ever again.