View Full Version : A Liberal Speaks on Iraq

Dave Schwartz
11-30-2003, 11:07 AM
I offer the following for your perusal:

Note: Thomas L. Friendman is the N.Y. Times Foreign Affairs Columnist
+++++++++

The Chant Not Heard
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

I stood on the sidewalk in London the other day and watched thousands of antiwar, anti-George Bush, anti-Tony Blair protesters pass by. They chanted every antiwar slogan you could imagine and many you couldn't print. It was entertaining - but also depressing, because it was so disconnected from the day's other news.

Just a few hours earlier, terrorists in Istanbul had blown up a
British-owned bank and the British consulate, killing or wounding scores of British and Turkish civilians. Yet nowhere could I find a single sign in London reading, "Osama, How Many Innocents Did You Kill Today?" or "Baathists - Hands Off the U.N. and the Red Cross in Iraq." Hey, I would have settled for "Bush and Blair Equal Bin Laden and Saddam" - something, anything, that acknowledged that the threats to global peace today weren't
just coming from the White House and Downing Street.

Sorry, but there is something morally obtuse about holding an antiwar rally on a day when your own people have been murdered - and not even mentioning it or those who perpetrated it. Watching this scene, I couldn't help but wonder whether George Bush had made the liberal left crazy. It can't see
anything else in the world today, other than the Bush-Blair original sin of launching the Iraq war, without U.N. approval or proof of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

Believe me, being a liberal on every issue other than this war, I have great sympathy for where the left is coming from. And if I didn't, my wife would remind me. It would be a lot easier for the left to engage in a little postwar reconsideration if it saw even an ounce of reflection, contrition or self-criticism coming from the conservatives, such as Dick Cheney and Don Rumsfeld, who drove this war, yet so bungled its aftermath and so misjudged
the complexity of postwar Iraq. Moreover, the Bush team is such a partisan, ideological, nonhealing administration that many liberals just want to punch its lights out - which is what the Howard Dean phenomenon is all about.

But here's why the left needs to get beyond its opposition to the war and start pitching in with its own ideas and moral support to try to make lemons into lemonade in Baghdad:

First, even though the Bush team came to this theme late in the day, this war is the most important liberal, revolutionary U.S. democracy-building project since the Marshall Plan. The primary focus of U.S. forces in Iraq today is erecting a decent, legitimate, tolerant, pluralistic representative government from the ground up. I don't know if we can pull this off. We got off to an unnecessarily bad start. But it is one of the noblest things this
country has ever attempted abroad and it is a moral and strategic imperative that we give it our best shot.

Unless we begin the long process of partnering with the Arab world to dig it out of the developmental hole it's in, this angry, frustrated region is going to spew out threats to world peace forever. The next six months in Iraq - which will determine the prospects for democracy-building there - are the most important six months in U.S. foreign policy in a long, long time.

And it is way too important to leave it to the Bush team alone.

On Iraq, there has to be more to the left than anti-Bushism. The senior Democrat who understands that best is the one not running for president - Senator Joe Biden. He understands that the liberal opposition to the Bush team should be from the right - to demand that we send more troops to Iraq, and more committed democracy builders, to do the job better and smarter than the Bush team has.

Second, we are seeing - from Bali to Istanbul - the birth of a virulent, nihilistic form of terrorism that seeks to kill any advocates of modernism and pluralism, be they Muslims, Christians or Jews. This terrorism started even before 9/11, and is growing in the darkest corners of the Muslim world. It is the most serious threat to open societies, because one more 9/11 and we'll really see an erosion of our civil liberties. Ultimately, only Arabs and Muslims can root out this threat, but they will do that only when they have ownership over their own lives and societies. Nurturing that is our real goal in Iraq.

"In general," says Robert Wright, author of "Nonzero," "too few who opposed the war understand the gravity of the terrorism problem, and too few who favored it understand the subtlety of the problem."

For my money, the right liberal approach to Iraq is to say: We can do it better. Which is why the sign I most hungered to see in London was, "Thanks, Mr. Bush. We'll take it from here."

Secretariat
12-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Interesting article. Although, I wouldn't call Friedman a liberal. A fair and balanced man who beleives strongly in an Iraqi democracy.

The anger which comes from the Brits and many Americans is due to the lies and deception initiating our countries involvement into this war. From the biggest isssue which was the false uranium claim in the State of the Union implying Hussein was on the verge of launching a nuclear war with his weapons of mass destruction. This was the main premise for Blair, and the people in England were betrayed by the claim, being told they could strike Britain in minutes. Britains were not told they were entering the Iraq conflict to build a democracy. In other words they were lied to. By the same token our country was lied to by the uranium claim, the weapons of mass destruction, and the link in Iraq to Bin Laden.

Liberals have died in wars just as conservatives. There's no hold on patriotism or dying for ones country. We all support our troops and wish them to all come home alive. That is not the issue. The issue is twofold. One, we have been lied to relating to our reasons for being in Iraq. That is well documented. The only remaining claim that we are in Iraq is to build a democracy.

I really beleive our behavior belies that fact for a number of reasons:

1. Our biggest Arab ally has been Saudi Arabia which (if you haven't checked lately was the country from which most of the 911 terrorists emerged, not Iraq), yet what kind of pressure was put on that nation. Basically, we allowed the family of Bin Laden to fly to safety on 911 without any serious questioning.

2. Saudi Arabia is a repressive regime (not a democracy), receiving extremely bad reviews from Amnesty International. Yet this is our biggest trading partner in the Arab world.

Why have we NOT pushed for democracy in Saudi Arabia? to liberate those oppressed people? Why did we help Saddam Hussein instead of encouraging a democracy during Bush I and Clinton? Why did we arm Bin Laden to fight the soviets in Afghanistan and then abandon the nation to the Taliban rather than initiating a democracy there?

Our nation succeeded in forming a democracy because our people wanted one and we fought for our own democracy. I am doubtful this will work without an Iraq army that wants a democracy. We are now "paying" the current Iraqi army. That bothers me in these deficit times. Imagine France in the Revolutionary War occupying the colonies, and paying our minutemen. Don't think so.

Our country preaches noble causes and humanitarian civil rights, but the world sees us now as hypocritical- they see as a nation who uses humanitarian rhetoric to hide our true intent - oil. Whether that is true or not, that is the perception. That is why the change from having the world's sympathy after 911 to being viewed as imperialists abroad.

I encourage people to read Michael Moore's book Where's My Country Dude? You may not like Moore, but he does his research and it makes you think.

Anyway, thanks for this article Dave. I view Friedman as a good and decent man. I just disagree with him on this issue especially his view toward the Brits.