PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Park 11/30/03

kingfin66
11-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Not a great card since I'm not much of a turf player.

Race 5

Reaching deep into the longshot bag on this one. The 8 is the ML favorite and, IMHO, a throwout. After being placed in much higher class races, this one is now where it belongs - in a cheap claimer. I still don't think it is good enough to win.

There are a few horses, 4-6-7, coming off lengthy layoffs. These horses have ok ability, but have shown that they need a race after similar layoffs.

I should mention that there is not a lot of speed in this 7f dirt event, thus, I am looking for the horse that can control the pace. My primary candidate in this regard is #3, Mythical Flyer. It's numbers aren't much to write home about, but he has some back class, is in decent form, and looks to have gotten over his problems of late last year and early this year.

The 5 horse, Proud Alvin, comes out of the same race as Mythical Flyer, and actually beat that one by a 1/2 length. He should also be near the pace in this race devoid of speed.

Other contenders are the likely betting favorite, 9-Butte City, and 1-Secret Spot. Secret Spot also comes out the same race as 3 and 5 and beat both of those two, finishing third in his 1st of a layoff. The 9 is in good form but is coming off a hard fought victory and now steps up in class. I like the 1 and 9 as exacta horses.

The play, not for the feint of heart, is:

$20 W #3
$20 W #5
$1 T 3-5/1-3-9/1-3-9 ($8)
$1 T 1/3-9/2-3-9 ($4)
$5 X 3-5/1-3-9 ($25)
$2 XB 1-3-5 ($12)
$2 XB 3-5-9 ($12)

$101 Total

kingfin66
11-30-2003, 09:50 PM
I had the right idea about the 3 and 5, but was totally wrong about the 8.