PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: WS-2d-gm is over, and not a "peep" from anyone....

LottaKash
10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
:D...I guess this World Series doesn't interest too many this year....Me neither, to be honest...

Still, I am rather surprised by it all....The nothing said of it...:D

best,

ElKabong
10-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Go to a baseball site....plenty of posting there.

I was at LS tonite, the place had more people yelling for the Rangers than the horses....Too bad you're bored. Equally bad that no one (here) cares if you're missing a GREAT series.

Back you go, kash, to watching Winnepeg and San Jose. Enjoy!

cj
10-21-2011, 12:40 AM
Fabulous game tonight. Just a horse racing board isn't the first place I think to talk baseball.

LottaKash
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Go to a baseball site....plenty of posting there.

I was at LS tonite, the place had more people yelling for the Rangers than the horses....Too bad you're bored. Equally bad that no one (here) cares if you're missing a GREAT series.

Back you go, kash, to watching Winnepeg and San Jose. Enjoy!

ElKabong, Perhaps I didn't present my point too well....

Firstly, I am not bored, I watch the games alright, but, I just can't get into these two teams all that much, is all....For me, if I am not betting or at least rooting for a team, the game just doesn't have as much meaning to me, as I am not that much of a purist it seems....As a younger man I would always have much rather played the game than watch it, is perhaps why....

Of course, when I am out and about, slugging down a few brews with friends, watching a big event, well, that is a whole nuther story...:jump:

The biggest thing tho, is that this year on this board, there just doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm as in other years at this same place...In fact there is none this year....I was quite surprised of it, is all....

Winnepeg and San Jose, what do they do...?...:D

best,

Robert Fischer
10-21-2011, 01:54 AM
it might be a huge factor , but if the WS didn't suck this year we'd probably have more than just Football n Gumball represented

Marshall Bennett
10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
As a longtime fan of baseball I find it quite refreshing when teams such as the Rays and Rangers come on the scene. I enjoyed the Astros/White Sox series even if the Stros did get swept.
Marketing is huge in Boston and New York. When they fail to get there it's understandable that there's a lot of people that find it boring when excitement brews anywhere else.

JustRalph
10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
it might be a huge factor , but if the WS didn't suck this year we'd probably have more than just Football n Gumball represented

I think that's the point of the thread. It doesn't suck

Great game. I stayed up to watch. It was fun watching Texas play small ball to squeeze out a run with only a few outs to go. I want to see Josh Hamilton get a ring. And I have to cheer for Nolan Ryan........

Canarsie
10-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Great game. I stayed up to watch. It was fun watching Texas play small ball to squeeze out a run with only a few outs to go. I want to see Josh Hamilton get a ring. And I have to cheer for Nolan Ryan........

The play that Andrus made was a top ten defensive play in the WS in my opinion. The game was scoreless and that made it have even more of an impact.

Still baseballs popularity is shrinking every year. I laughed when they said the Yankees had higher ratings ( they did) in 2009 there were 19 million viewers. Throw in that it was two major markets and the numbers aren't really impressive.

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/fox-guts-out-world-series-ratings-slide-135985

The fact that if you combine the other 3 networks Nieson number it's greater than the big show. It's a far bigger number.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/10/20/tv-ratings-wednesday-world-series-give-fox-win-but-most-shows-steady-modern-family-slips-tops-night-revenge-falls/107904/

I wonder what number the Arizona-UCLA football game did. Might be an interesting comparison.

Having said all of this negative stuff I still love watching baseball but that's their problem. Their biggest base is the 50+ viewer not exactly what advertisers covet.

melman
10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
JR---I know what you mean about Hamilton. He is playing hurt if this was not the WS he would be on the DL for sure. Think Washington will have him DH for the home games. However the guy I really would like to see get a ring is Michael Young. A true "pro's pro". He has been asked to do a lot of different things for Texas and has responed well. His AB to drive in the winning run in the 9th was a thing of beauty. You have to be tough minded just to play for Texas. Think they had over 25 home games start where the game time temp was over 100. A very humid over 100 at that. That can wear on even the toughest pro.

Robert Goren
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Baseball is dead to me. I used to be a big Yankee fan, but the drugs were finally the last straw. I would not even know that the series was going on if Shepard Smith hadn't gone St. Louis for game one.

melman
10-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Canarsie--I agree with you about the TV ratings and loss of viewers for MLB. The NFL pre game shows do bigger numbers. However that can be said about almost every sport. I still think MLB is alive and well however beacause the live attendance figures have held up well. Dispite the huge drop-off for the Dodgers MLB had a slight increase in live attendance. I'll be interested to see how the Miami Marlins--yes Miami LOL- draw next year. For the first time they will be able to play baseball in a real baseball park. :)

Canarsie
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Baseball is dead to me. I used to be a big Yankee fan, but the drugs were finally the last straw.

So why do you gamble on horse racing?

Canarsie
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Canarsie--I agree with you about the TV ratings and loss of viewers for MLB. The NFL pre game shows do bigger numbers. However that can be said about almost every sport. I still think MLB is alive and well however beacause the live attendance figures have held up well. Dispite the huge drop-off for the Dodgers MLB had a slight increase in live attendance. I'll be interested to see how the Miami Marlins--yes Miami LOL- draw next year. For the first time they will be able to play baseball in a real baseball park. :)

I used to live there it was a long time ago but can't see it being a big success. There are too many distractions in south Florida including gambling on the Indian reservations. Florida isn't a real good baseball state hope I'm wrong and they draw record attendance.

I think baseball has held up because there are more females at the game than ever before. I'm so old that I remember when they had Ladies Day before somebody ( I think) sued on gender discrimination. They should do even more to cater to that base if that's the case.

Spiderman
10-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Caught glimpses of both games. Classic baseball. One play is a standout - in second game, grounder to shortstop who flips to second baseman, who catches barehanded and, in one motion, fires to first for double play. Highlight of first game was that La Russa used 18 players for strategic win.

cj's dad
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Caught glimpses of both games. Classic baseball. One play is a standout - in second game, grounder to shortstop who flips to second baseman, who catches barehanded and, in one motion, fires to first for double play. Highlight of first game was that La Russa used 18 players for strategic win.

Agreed and then last night he used one too many-namely Arthur Rhodes. Hindsight is 20/20 I know, but he removes his closer, a guy who can peg 100 mph and could KO Hamilton which leads to an intentional walk and the possibility of a DP. Sometimes this lefty - righty thing gets old.

Spiderman
10-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Agreed and then last night he used one too many-namely Arthur Rhodes. Hindsight is 20/20 I know, but he removes his closer, a guy who can peg 100 mph and could KO Hamilton which leads to an intentional walk and the possibility of a DP. Sometimes this lefty - righty thing gets old.

Rhodes gets WS ring no matter who wins! He was traded from Texans and will get ring if they win. Better to play a guy who is motivated.

melman
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Cansarie--Your comment about females attending games is 100% correct at least here in Philly. And more important YOUNG women. They don't get the high priced seats at "the Bank" but love Ashburn Alley. Guess that's why Ashburn Alley has become a favorite among young men. :lol:

Zippy Chippy
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Ill watch any WS that the Red Sox are not in. Great games!! Although I still find myself watching college football (AZ vs UCLA) than the baseball game. Baseball is just too slow for me. I was flipping back and forth.

JustRalph
10-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Sometimes this lefty - righty thing gets old.

I was thinking the same thing watching it. My wife actually asked me why he only faced one batter. She recalled him from the game before and couldn't understand my explanation of the percentages and the lefty righty thing. She thought it was stupid..........

cj's dad
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing watching it. My wife actually asked me why he only faced one batter. She recalled him from the game before and couldn't understand my explanation of the percentages and the lefty righty thing. She thought it was stupid..........

As I told you at Saratoga, you got a winner. Then again she married... never mind. :rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
10-21-2011, 10:55 PM

I agree with you.

For those who give it a chance, or those with the baseball-bug it's a watchable series...

Reminds me of a nice allowance race or something...

Also when did Nolan Ryan become ROBOCOP?

NJ Stinks
10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I only caught the last 3 innings but what I saw was great stuff!

Texas had to be sky high after that kind of win but I can't say I can predict who is going to win the series. Seems like a pick'em from here. :cool:

ElKabong
10-22-2011, 02:12 AM
I've been telling everyone I know that Elvis is a legit MVP type player. His value is not only what you saw with his glove, but the stuff he does on the base paths is amazing.... And he has a hose that gets runners out from the hole...and he is a good hitter, getting better.....and his speed on the bases allows Hamilton fastballs to hit instead of junk (which is why Wash hits Young behind Josh, not Cruz or Beltre)....

The guy makes the team tick. With an avg SS the Rangers win 88 games max.

witchdoctor
10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been telling everyone I know that Elvis is a legit MVP type player. His value is not only what you saw with his glove, but the stuff he does on the base paths is amazing
The guy makes the team tick. With an avg SS the Rangers win 88 games max.

Thank God for Mark Texiera and the Atlanta Braves.

ElKabong
10-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Amen, Doc.

Elvis, Matty, Nefti, and Salty for Ron Mahay and Texiera....Best trade in the Rangers history. Three key ballplayers for a guy that didn't want to play here & a spare LH reliever.

Plus, Texiera drags 22 million + a year off the Yanks.....Elvis, Nefti, Matty make less than 1.4 million total between the three of them....That gives Daniels a lot of leash to find a top notch starter when CJ leaves

TJDave
10-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Game 3...A real defensive struggle. :rolleyes:

Pujols gets the hat-trick.

andtheyreoff
10-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Baseball is dead to me. I used to be a big Yankee fan, but the drugs were finally the last straw. I would not even know that the series was going on if Shepard Smith hadn't gone St. Louis for game one.

If it's "dead to you", then why bother to post in a thread about it?

I mean, in between this, your posts saying kids (i.e. the next generation of racing) shouldn't go to the track, and the overall negativity in most of your posts, I nominate you for the "PaceAdvantage Bitterness Award".

ElKabong
10-24-2011, 01:04 AM
Great game tonight. Holland was lights out.

I do think he had the ump's better side going for him tho. Maybe the ump tried to make up for his missed call (Nap's tag) in Sat's game? I doubt it, but Holland did get some nice calls behind the plate that irked the Cards.

Not taking anything away from The Dutch Oven, tho. He was awesome tonite on the mound.

NJ Stinks
10-28-2011, 12:45 AM
I'd hate to be a Rangers fan after that torture.

redshift1
10-28-2011, 12:48 AM
pitchers duel

slew101
10-28-2011, 12:51 AM
LaRussa better keep Holliday on the bench for Game 7. Guy is a loser. Drops a pop up, gets picked off third, asks out of the game with injury, then has his replacement drill a home run.

And can Nolan Ryan watch the game from the press box? I don't need to see him 500 times in 9 innings. Stop bringing attention to yourself. Looks like he should be at a presidential inauguration.

I'd hate to be a Rangers fan after that torture.

lsbets
10-28-2011, 12:55 AM
What a great game.

dav4463
10-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Anybody who decided not to watch the World Series this year missed one of the greatest games ever played...in any sport!

bigmack
10-28-2011, 02:38 AM
That was a doozie.

Nitro
10-28-2011, 03:40 AM
LaRussa better keep Holliday on the bench for Game 7. Guy is a loser. Drops a pop up, gets picked off third, asks out of the game with injury, then has his replacement drill a home run.

And can Nolan Ryan watch the game from the press box? I don't need to see him 500 times in 9 innings. Stop bringing attention to yourself. Looks like he should be at a presidential inauguration.Is that the best you’ve got after watching one of the most exciting baseball games EVER played? You’ve got to be kidding!

Please don’t worry about what LaRussa does. As far as Holliday goes maybe you missed the strike he threw to Molina from left field to get that out at home. (In a previous game). Besides you know dam well that flyball would have probably been a routine catch if the Shortstop hadn’t interfered with that play. Is Freeze a loser too for dropping a simple popup over 3rd base? I think not! You seem to forget that baseball is a team effort and ALL players have their moments: both Good and Bad !

And what does viewing Nolan Ryan’s reactions during the game have anything to do with the enjoying the game itself? You act as if he had a personal camera man. Besides I’m sure any real baseball fan might appreciate what Ryan did as a pitcher. Seeing him connected to a great team like the Rangers is a tribute to his winning attitude and inspiration.

I predicted a 7-game series and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 games. I think the Cardinals have a lot going for them going into game 7, and if I’m not mistaken will win the World Series.

Anybody who decided not to watch the World Series this year missed one of the greatest games ever played...in any sport! Absolutely !

Marshall Bennett
10-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Believe Feliz should have been left in to pitch 10th inning. He's their ace out of the pen. Doesn't matter if he was to face 2 left handed hitters. He's still their ace in the hole and was a costly mistake imo.

JustRalph
10-28-2011, 08:01 AM
sloppy play....... Texas doesn't deserve to win it after that piece of crap game.

I want Josh Hamilton to get a ring and have been cheering for him. But after that joke.....pitchers choked on both sides......... come on?

cj
10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
sloppy play....... Texas doesn't deserve to win it after that piece of crap game.

I want Josh Hamilton to get a ring and have been cheering for him. But after that joke.....pitchers choked on both sides......... come on?

It was sloppy, but St. Louis was just as bad. Still pretty exciting stuff.

Canarsie
10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Believe Feliz should have been left in to pitch 10th inning. He's their ace out of the pen. Doesn't matter if he was to face 2 left handed hitters. He's still their ace in the hole and was a costly mistake imo.

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't the closer DEMAND to be left in to face at least few batters. LaRusssa had nobody on the bench it was equivalent to only getting two outs. He puts in a pitcher who only got better when steroids got cleaned up in the game and certainly wasn't the best option.

The only other thing I could think of is Feliz was so nervous he was throwing up in the clubhouse and said he couldn't go. While far fetched this has happened before so anything is possible.

Canarsie
10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Is that the best you’ve got after watching one of the most exciting baseball games EVER played? You’ve got to be kidding!

Please don’t worry about what LaRussa does. As far as Holliday goes maybe you missed the strike he threw to Molina from left field to get that out at home. (In a previous game). Besides you know dam well that flyball would have probably been a routine catch if the Shortstop hadn’t interfered with that play. You seem to forget that baseball is a team effort and ALL players have their moments: both Good and Bad !

That was probably one of the greatest baseball games I have ever seen.

But the blame lies completely with Holliday on the fly ball. As you state its a team game and the RESPONSIBILITY lies with HIM to call off Furcal. That's elementary baseball which is practiced again and again in spring training.

Marshall Bennett
10-28-2011, 11:42 AM

It may been sloppy at times, but I found it to be quite an exciting game. As mentioned in another post, I feel had Feliz been left in to pitch in the 10th, the outcome would have been different.

BetHorses!
10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
How Washington allowed his pitcher to bat in the 5th w 2 outs and bases loaded is beyond me. One of the dumbest moves ever

Zippy Chippy
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
I had no idea whos gonna win this game tonight!! what a game last night (even though i had the rangers)

Valuist
10-28-2011, 12:56 PM
What a collapse. I hate St. Louis and would love to see the Rangers get their first WS. Have to think everyone assumes the Cardinals will cruise tonight. WOuld love to see the Rangers come back from the dead and win tonight.

Did find it interesting in the bottom of the 9th, the Fox cameras panned the St. Louis dugout. Down 2 runs, and down to their last out, the Cardinals were loose; a couple guys were laughing. Pretty rare to see that in a team down to their final out. Apparently they handled the pressure better than the Rangers.

cj
10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
So many bad plays, but one that is overlooked is the gaffe Andrus made not going to second to end the 8th. It didn't cost a run at the time, but it did allow a few more batters which led to Pujols and Berkman getting to the plate in the 9th.

LottaKash
10-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Best game I've seen in some time....Plenty of errors, revealing the human side of the sport....Plenty of pitcher changes....Plenty enough of HR's....Plenty of lead changes and catchups....The whole bag of tricks were contained in this one game....A

That game had all the elements of what I think a baseball game should be all about....I enjoyed the heck out of that one.....

In more recent times I had been souring a bit on the game....Probably because of the how many World Series' I had seen thruout my life, I guess....But this game renewed my interest enough, so that I was really so glad to have seen it....

St. Louis, maybe wins it all tonite, off the upswing in the momemtum in their form cycle ?....And perhaps Texas loses it on the bounce off that game, that they seemed to have had in the bag at one point in that game......They have to be at least a wee bit let down after all that adrenaline flowing and the trophy dreaming....

Sets up a nice stage for the last showdown of the year...

I hope your team wins...:jump:

best,

PhantomOnTour
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
After watching Ron Washington's reaction to Nolan Ryan dropping the opening pitch by Pres Bush a few games ago (he giggled and fidgeted like a school kid) i thought to myself, "No way he out manages LaRussa".

Cards have Uncle Mo on their side and i think they waste the Rangers in G7.

Canarsie
10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
No real rooting interest but it has been great drama.

The Elias Sports Bureau always comes up with all these stats we would have never known about they are the best.

Ranger haven't lost 2 games in a row since August something. That's a huge stat let's see if holds up.

Cardinals have the better pitcher going on three days rest.

May the best team win and it be an entertaining game.

slew101
10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
History has not been kind to teams that are on the brink of winning in Game 6 only to fumble it away. Cards in 85, Red Sox in 86, Giants in 2002 are the ones I can recall.

Reds in 75 would be one exception the other way.

Canarsie
10-28-2011, 07:02 PM
History has not been kind to teams that are on the brink of winning in Game 6 only to fumble it away. Cards in 85, Red Sox in 86, Giants in 2002 are the ones I can recall.

Reds in 75 would be one exception the other way.

Even though it counts 1985 is a tough one to use because not a sole is going to know what would have happened if Deckinger made the right call. That had to be devastating to the team knowing it wasn't their fault that happened. It was all downhill from there.

I just hope its not a blowout one way or another.

NJ Stinks
10-28-2011, 07:54 PM
I thought about the Phillies and Greg Luzinski still in left field against the Dodgers on that rainy night in the playoffs back in 1976 (?). The point being that Luzinski should have been replaced by a better outfielder since the Phils were leading and Greg's bat was no longer the biggest factor.

Anyway, Washington should have yanked Cruz before the bottom of the 9th inning. I say that because Washington mentioned in his postgame interview that Cruz was playing with a groin injury. If I heard Washington right in that interview, Cruz should been replaced by somebody healthier with the Rangers up 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Somebody else besides Nelson had a great chance of catching that ball that landed beyond Cruz's glove with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th.

Maybe nobody else was available. It's possible - I didn't check. It just seems like that ball was catchable.

ElKabong
10-29-2011, 01:30 AM
All I can say is Congratulations, Cardinals. That team has no quit in them whatsoever.

It hurts as a Ranger's fan, we were one out in game 6 twice from winning our first. STL just wouldn't be denied. What a scrappy bunch.

Flip side....we sure did miss Cliff Lee....him not being here was the difference imo. Sure would have been nice to get 2 starts from him in this series. Other than Holland in game 4 no pitcher really stood out for us, and we needed it

Canarsie
10-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Congratulations to the cardinals and all of their fans. Every time they faced adversity ir was repelled.

The Rangers have an excellent management team and just came up a hair short.
With their showing the last two years it's become an attractive landing spot. With no state income tax it's even more of an advantage.

Fox can use a new announcing team those two are brutal no wonder ratings are down. Buck out of the clear blue sky says something about a stat that hasn't happened since 1945 and McCarver chimes in with the teams almost instantly. Maybe 1/10 of 1% didn't know they were given that info there was no way they knew that. At least give credit to the source.

lamboguy
10-29-2011, 09:46 AM
all i ever heard for years is that the rangers can never make it to the post season because of the heat they play in the summer and how all the players loose massive amounts of body weight during the season. this team proved everyone wrong, this team had great conditioned athletes with tremendous attitudes. i was rooting for the rangers this year and was sad that they lost the game last night. but they did provide as much excitement in this world series that i have ever seen, it even surpassed the 1975 series that the reds beat the red sox in 7 games. i am sure this ranger team will be around again next year and many years to follow.

Ocala Mike
10-29-2011, 10:40 AM

You left out the Bartman Cubs in 2003.

Ocala Mike

maddog42
10-29-2011, 10:59 AM
All I can say is Congratulations, Cardinals. That team has no quit in them whatsoever.

It hurts as a Ranger's fan, we were one out in game 6 twice from winning our first. STL just wouldn't be denied. What a scrappy bunch.

Flip side....we sure did miss Cliff Lee....him not being here was the difference imo. Sure would have been nice to get 2 starts from him in this series. Other than Holland in game 4 no pitcher really stood out for us, and we needed it

I could not BELIEVE all the errors in game six. Elk was that crazy or what ?
While hardly a fan of either team, that series was what baseball needed. Everyone is talking about it.

JustRalph
10-29-2011, 12:13 PM
If the Rangers possessed a dyed in the wool legitimate "ACE" things would be different. After game 6 they were toast. Bad management during that game cost them dearly.

I am sure Nolan Ryan is thinking about his manager and pitching coach and what they could have done different.

Ocala Mike
10-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I am sure Nolan Ryan is thinking about his manager and pitching coach and what they could have done different.

They were one pitch away two different times; that's what Nolan Ryan is thinking about! Sometimes, it really is a game of inches and who gets the big hit or the big pitch in one or two key spots.

Ocala Mike

cj's dad
10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Man, if you're a Rangers fan, the last two nights had to be painful.

Great series to simply be a fan of the game.

cj
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM

I was a little torn. I watched a lot of those guys play in OKC, but I also was happy to see Nolan Ryan lose after he screwed the city over and moved the AAA team for mostly selfish reasons.

ElKabong
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
all i ever heard for years is that the rangers can never make it to the post season because of the heat they play in the summer and how all the players loose massive amounts of body weight during the season. this team proved everyone wrong, this team had great conditioned athletes with tremendous attitudes. i was rooting for the rangers this year and was sad that they lost the game last night. but they did provide as much excitement in this world series that i have ever seen, it even surpassed the 1975 series that the reds beat the red sox in 7 games. i am sure this ranger team will be around again next year and many years to follow.

this summer definitely took a toll on the team. Kindler has said in past yrs he's drained by late July

Remember, the warmups and BP are around 5pm....on the field it's 110 or better, and the sun here is unrelenting in the summer unlike Houston and other places near a coast where cloud cover can come at any time....day in day out that'll take a toll on anybody.

ElKabong
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Not painful at all, at least for the older fans. I never thought I'd ever see this franchise in a World Series, getting to 2 in a row is amazing. Whatever pain I felt disappeared quickly.

In a sense this reminds me of the 1960s Cowboys...Very solid organization "with a future" but couldn't get the ring for several years.

It'll be interesting to see how the area receives this....The Cowboys basically made this town a "bandwagon" town for winners. Up until the mid 70s this was a rabid Cowboy football town, but Tex Schramm sold its soul, so to speak...people like me didn't care anymore.

Hopefully the R's won't do that...what ends up happening is, you get a LOT of "new fans" that never cared before and those are the fans catered to. I'm not a huge fan of Nolan's (and I'm glad he moved the AAA team to Round Rock for the good of the organization- nothing against OKC) but I don't think he'll make that mistake.

This IS a baseball town / area, or at least was in my youth. Prior to the Rainwater-Rose Bush era, this was the worst run franchise in all of sports, hands down. Worse than the Clippers, the 90s Mavs, etc....It took a lot of effort by GWB to get people just to come back. Hopefully Nolan (GM John Daniels, especially) can keep the train on the track. Step one is to get a #1 starter, quickly

Patrick333
10-31-2011, 09:06 AM
I thought it was a great series. Hats off to both St. Louis and Texas. It was a great show.

ManU918
10-31-2011, 11:17 AM
La Russa retired.

melman
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Game 7 magic for MLB. While the NLCS and ALCS were doing 5's the big final game of the WS did an excellant 12.7 with a 21 share. Not bad at all. Best WS rated game since game 6 of Yanks/Phils which did a 13.4. The entire WS rating were up from las year. 9.3/16 compared to last years 8.4/14. Also highest rated WS game that did NOT involve the Yanks since 2005.

raybo
11-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Not painful at all, at least for the older fans. I never thought I'd ever see this franchise in a World Series, getting to 2 in a row is amazing. Whatever pain I felt disappeared quickly.

In a sense this reminds me of the 1960s Cowboys...Very solid organization "with a future" but couldn't get the ring for several years.

It'll be interesting to see how the area receives this....The Cowboys basically made this town a "bandwagon" town for winners. Up until the mid 70s this was a rabid Cowboy football town, but Tex Schramm sold its soul, so to speak...people like me didn't care anymore.

Hopefully the R's won't do that...what ends up happening is, you get a LOT of "new fans" that never cared before and those are the fans catered to. I'm not a huge fan of Nolan's (and I'm glad he moved the AAA team to Round Rock for the good of the organization- nothing against OKC) but I don't think he'll make that mistake.

This IS a baseball town / area, or at least was in my youth. Prior to the Rainwater-Rose Bush era, this was the worst run franchise in all of sports, hands down. Worse than the Clippers, the 90s Mavs, etc....It took a lot of effort by GWB to get people just to come back. Hopefully Nolan (GM John Daniels, especially) can keep the train on the track. Step one is to get a #1 starter, quickly

I agree,

Just getting to the WS is all I care about. Sure it would be great to win one but anything can happen in one series.

As for Nolan, I have nothing but the highest respect for what he has meant to the game and what he will mean to the Rangers in the future. Expecting a new manager next year, he hasn't impressed me as a manager. Sometimes staying with someone for confidence reasons is a bad move and he makes that move more than I care for.

I just hope there isn't a mass exodus of core players during the off season.

cj
11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I was crushed as an Orioles fan when they lost to the Pirates, and when the Caps lost to the Red Wings, and so on. I can understand it is good to get there, but happy with 2nd...never.

raybo
11-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I was crushed as an Orioles fan when they lost to the Pirates, and when the Caps lost to the Red Wings, and so on. I can understand it is good to get there, but happy with 2nd...never.

One step at a time. It's taken us so long to get a decent enough pitching staff together, just to get past our division and then the Yankee's domination of us, I will be patient.

Game 6 really hurt, but my days of getting "out of control" mad, are over. It took most of my life to be able to accept defeat, personally and as a fan. It's much easier on me, and my family, now that I don't expect to win them all. (Don't get me started on my trials and tragedies in sports, oh my God! I was baseball pro bound since birth!)

As the old saying goes, "It's not the destination, it's the journey that's important".

cj
11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
One step at a time. It's taken us so long to get a decent enough pitching staff together, just to get past our division and then the Yankee's domination of us, I will be patient.

Game 6 really hurt, but my days of getting "out of control" mad, are over. It took most of my life to be able to accept defeat, personally and as a fan. It's much easier on me, and my family, now that I don't expect to win them all. (Don't get me started on my trials and tragedies in sports, oh my God! I was baseball pro bound since birth!)

As the old saying goes, "It's not the destination, it's the journey that's important".

I agree, as I've aged I care less and less about sports. They are fun to watch, but they just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

raybo
11-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree, as I've aged I care less and less about sports. They are fun to watch, but they just aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Yup, back in the day I could recite stats for all the Yankees, now I can't even tell you which are the best teams, I just don't watch, or follow, pro sports anymore. The pro games have changed so much over the years, it's very hard for me to relate to them now.

I miss the days when most players played for the love of the game, not for the money. Heck, I would have played pro/semipro ball for room and board!