PDA

View Full Version : Congaree Champion Sprinter?

PaceAdvantage
11-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Baffert seems to think so....I was a little shocked when I read this....my first reaction was "talk about a stretch!" Here's the line from the Bloodhorse article on Congaree's Cigar Mile victory:

"I think he should be champion sprinter. He beat Aldebaran in the Carter and I think he can go six furlongs with the best of them."

Article Link (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=19407)

lsbets
11-30-2003, 08:10 AM
First, I think from 7f to 9f Congaree is probably the best out there, but if Baffert thinks he is the champion sprinter and can go 6 with the best of them, then why was he in the BC Classic instead of the sprint? I know, the purse, the answer is obvious and a no brainer, but I think that to be the champion sprinter, you actually have to sprint.

turffan
11-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Depends what you call a sprint I guess. I guess I'd call it anything up to a one- turn mile. While we'll never know if Congaree could beat the best at 6 furlongs I think we can conclude that Cajun Beat isn't going to beat him at 7 furlongs and up. I can probably find some Charles Town super stars who could beat Cajun Beat at 4 1/2 furlongs. So how short is short?

Interesting situation but I agree that if Baffert wanted that he should have run in the BC Sprint. Saying that Congaree could run with the best of them at 6 furlongs is, to a lesser degree, like Frankel saying Empire Maker would have won every race he never showed up for (of course he would have had to have carried less than 120 lbs).

Valuist
12-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I think Baffert is right. I was saying long before the Breeder's Cup that he could win the Sprint, IF he chose to run in it. And while we heard what a great race Medaglia D'Oro ran in the Classic, Congaree wasn't far behind him. He kind of reminds me of Precisionist, who ran down a good field of sprinters as a turnback in 1985. Same thing w/Gulch. At 6 furlongs I'll take a classy horse like Congaree over a speedball like Cajun Beat or Shake You Down. And as good as Aldebaran is, he is NOT as good as Congaree.

blind squirrel
12-01-2003, 12:26 PM
i always thought CONGAREE should have run in the sprint.
he reminds me a lot of CHEROKEE RUN....come on BOB,you
can't be serious about he SPRINT ECLIPSE.

ceejay
12-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Any thoughts about Congaree as champion older male (although it is hard to deny mineshaft)? To me Congaree is just not a sprinter.

Tom
12-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Read Joe Cardellos article inthe DRF about Congaree-does this guy's last 12 months scream out horse of the year?
I think over the course of the whole year, nobody has done what he has done. Consistently on top for longer than anthing else.

plainolebill
12-03-2003, 10:11 PM
What the heck, Forego won champion sprinter off just one 7f race!
I don't know if Congaree is champion sprinter but he sure has had one heck of a year for a horse that looked washed up about 14 months ago.

Observer
12-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Tom & Plainolebill .. I totally agree!! Congaree has had a fine year .. from beginning to end .. a truly rare horse with a wonderful blend of speed and staying power for a wide range of distances .. but I don't see the voters as giving him even a half thought for Horse of the Year .. or even Champion Older Male .. and can't see Sprint title either.