PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel Is A Racist

cj's dad
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
He should be fired immediately for his comments regarding David Stern. Hank Williams was let go for similar.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7126679/bryant-gumbel-unfairly-labeled-nba-commissioner-david-stern

Robert Goren
10-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't Williams should have been fired nor should Gumbel. I do not agree with either. Although if you were to sit on the NBA labor negotiations, one thing would strike you right away. The table would have largely a bunch of white men on one side of the table and largely a bunch of black men on the other. That should give you pause.

riskman
10-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I do not know the reason for Gumbel's statement but IMO he is not a racist. Probably just fed up with Stern and the way he has been trying to reduce the value of the players during negotiations. Gumbel could have used a better description and am sure he wished he could take that statement back.

Valuist
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I do not know the reason for Gumbel's statement but IMO he is not a racist. Probably just fed up with Stern and the way he has been trying to reduce the value of the players during negotiations. Gumbel could have used a better description and am sure he wished he could take that statement back.

The last sentence is very logical. But getting back to the OP's post, if Gumbel was white and used a racial metaphor, he would get fired. No question about it. There is a clear double standard.

TJDave
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I find Gumbel's remarks spot on, and, IMO, the only fault of Stern's tenure is that he didn't extend the dress code to fans as well. How the average white person could have anything in common with the culture that pervades professional basketball is beyond my comprehension.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I find Gumbel's remarks spot on, and, IMO, the only fault of Stern's tenure is that he didn't extend the dress code to fans as well. How the average white person could have anything in common with the culture that pervades professional basketball is beyond my comprehension.Spot on? Read Shaun Powell's column linked at the top of this thread, then get back to us.

bigmack
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
GumBall has a tendency to say such things.

2006: When Winter Olympians were called the world's greatest atheletes (in their particular event) Gumball said: So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world's greatest athletes despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention.

GumBall made the following remarks about former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue and Players' Union president Gene Upshaw and directed these comments to new commissioner Roger Goodell:

“Before he cleans out his office have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash. By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted. Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch.

lTXI-ivWEdo

Gummy is of the belief that blacks are superior to whites in several areas.

Odd, he continually gravitates to white women for marriage & "dating." I read somewhere that's unpopular with his peers. :rolleyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Bryant_Gumbel_at_Met_Opera.jpg/220px-Bryant_Gumbel_at_Met_Opera.jpg

TJDave
10-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Read Shaun Powell's column linked at the top of this thread, then get back to us.

I read it. Stern may be benevolent, but an overseer nevertheless. Mind you, I'm not complaining. Someone needs to keep those tatted, gang bangers in line.

cj
10-20-2011, 10:09 PM
I read it. Stern may be benevolent, but an overseer nevertheless. Mind you, I'm not complaining. Someone needs to keep those tatted, gang bangers in line.

Last I checked I thought plantations used slaves. I don't think too many of those players in the NBA (which are hardly all black) would be considered slaves. There are some owners that are black as well. I would dare say many of the superstars make more money from the NBA per season than at least half the owners do.

cj's dad
10-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Quite the derogatory name. The overseer was the most feared man on the plantation as defined here by ask.com:

Slave Overseers

In 1860 it was calculated that about 88 per cent of America's slave-owners owned twenty slaves or less. However, large landowners would usually own well over 100 slaves and relied heavily on overseers to run their plantations (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASplantation.htm). These overseers were under considerable pressure from the plantation owners to maximize profits. They did this by bullying the slaves into increasing productivity. The punishments (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASpunishments.htm) used against slaves judged to be under-performing included the use of the cart-whip (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USASwhipping.htm). Not surprisingly the mortality-rate amongst the slaves was high. Studies have shown that over a four-year period, up to 30 per cent of the slave population in America died.

Zippy Chippy
10-21-2011, 04:04 PM
If you keep calling Gumbell a racist, Al Sharpton might have to come to his defense! The biggest racist of all.

Robert Fischer
10-21-2011, 10:22 PM
lol @ the title!

not really interested in reading the details, but that's too bad.

many would say he crafted his image while conscious of the propaganda on race throughout his career to benefit... Hmmm now I'm almost motivated to read this, because this could be another such play...