PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Robinson Statue To Be Unveiled In Baltimore

cj's dad
10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
The greatest fielding 3rd baseman ever. This Saturday at 1:00 PM

Link:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/10/19/brooks-robinson-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-baltimore/

cj
10-20-2011, 10:13 PM
The greatest fielding 3rd baseman ever. This Saturday at 1:00 PM

Link:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/10/19/brooks-robinson-statue-to-be-unveiled-in-baltimore/

He deserves it!

TJDave
10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
It's no wonder nothing got by him.

DigitalDownsJoe
10-20-2011, 10:53 PM
I had the pleasure of growing up in Baltimore watching him play as a young boy. I remember waiting in line for 2.5 hours to get his autograph at a Hess station one time. He was supposed to to leave at 2 pm, but stayed a good 45 mins longer till everyone who was in line got their autograph. He and Cal Ripken both are total class acts that did such wonderful things for that city. He made plays that made you just go wow!! Even to this day, his play in the field was unrivaled. He had not only a great glove, but an amazingly strong arm. I would have loved to have seen him pitch! He wasn't a terrible hitter either, he seemed to come through in the clutch for them when we needed a hit. I think its great they are doing this for him :)

LottaKash
10-21-2011, 12:19 AM
In Baseball annals:....

Third base is "synonymous" with "Brooks Robinson"....:cool:

best,

Marshall Bennett
10-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Loved watching Brooks play 3rd base. Perhaps the best at his position to ever play.

cj's dad
10-24-2011, 12:28 PM
v2WfCI4V59Y

and the statue:

MrbRrcAxv_k

Canarsie
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
It's a shame most of the youth today really doesn't know how great a player he was. Time certainly does fly by.

TJDave
10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
It's a shame most of the youth today really doesn't know how great a player he was.

It's my opinion that today's youth don't deserve to know. They're clueless about most everything else, so why confuse them?

canleakid
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
not a fan of the Orioles,but loved to see
"The Human Vacuum Cleaner" the best I have ever seen at 3rd.

cj's dad
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
This year the O's had the neatest giveaway. They gave out replicas of the statues around the stadium of Frank Robinson, Eddie Murray, Earl Weaver,
Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, and Brooks Robinson. Brooks was originally scheduled to receive his prior to a game earlier in the season, but due to poor health, his appearance was rescheduled for this past Saturday.

Here is a youtube video of his speech:

XKYO7waUB5Q

Dave Schwartz
10-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Looking back on baseball history, it would seem that the O's have a track record of fine gentlemen as players. Men like Robinson, Ripken, and Palmer to name a few. Good role models, all (AFAIK).

There are others as well but these three just leap out of my memory.

:ThmbUp:

cj's dad
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Over the years dave it's been a pretty classy team. The exceptions That come to mind are Albert Belle (traded from the CWS), Earl Williams (from the Braves) and Glenn davis (from Houston).

Telling that none came up through the O's minor league system.

ElKabong
10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Best 3rd baseman of his time, for certain (I would vote for another for all time best).

Well deserved Brooks! Growing up in TX, people I knew in Arkansas were very proud of him

ElKabong
10-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Over the years dave it's been a pretty classy team. The exceptions That come to mind are Albert Belle (traded from the CWS), Earl Williams (from the Braves) and Glenn davis (from Houston).

Telling that none came up through the O's minor league system.

Was it Paul Richards that came up with the saying 'Oriole Way'? The first HS football game I saw as a kid was at Paul Richards Stadium in Waxahachie, TX where he grew up

I heard him on local radio mention The Oriole Way so many times. Someone told me he coined the phrase, not sure if that's true

cj's dad
10-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Was it Paul Richards that came up with the saying 'Oriole Way'? The first HS football game I saw as a kid was at Paul Richards Stadium in Waxahachie, TX where he grew up

I heard him on local radio mention The Oriole Way so many times. Someone told me he coined the phrase, not sure if that's true

It was either he or GM Harry Dalton; but I think it was PR.