PDA

View Full Version : RIP Larry Saumell

nijinski
10-20-2011, 02:36 AM
I remember Larry mostly from the eighties i believe around the NJ ,Md and NY
circuit. He won the Pa Derby with Cefis , for Woody Stephens. He was working for the Jockey's Guild and was an agent as well . I didn't know he suffered from heart disease . Too young only 54 , he died peacefully in his sleep. RIP

Tom
10-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Finger Lakes alumni, too. RIP.

bitter
10-20-2011, 09:54 AM
i believe CT as well
sad to hear

cj's dad
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Saumell rode from 1973 through 1999, winning 2098 races. His mounts earned purses totaling nearly $25 million. Saumell, who rode primarily on the New Jersey, Maryland, Florida and Kentucky circuits, recorded over 250 stakes wins, the most important of which may have been his victory aboard Cefis for trainer Woody Stephens in the 1988 Pennsylvania Derby.

Link:
http://www.drf.com/news/larry-saumell-former-rider-and-jockeys-guild-rep-dies-54

Pine Tree Lane
10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Saumell rode from 1973 through 1999, winning 2098 races. His mounts earned purses totaling nearly $25 million. Saumell, who rode primarily on the New Jersey, Maryland, Florida and Kentucky circuits, recorded over 250 stakes wins, the most important of which may have been his victory aboard Cefis for trainer Woody Stephens in the 1988 Pennsylvania Derby.

Link:
http://www.drf.com/news/larry-saumell-former-rider-and-jockeys-guild-rep-dies-54

Lou Rondinello used him on Darby Dan/Galbreath horses whenever Cordero or Jorge Velasquez were unavailable.

cj's dad
10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I met him once at LP. Wasn't he the jock who was blind in one eye (left) ?

nijinski
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Not aware of that about Saumell . Pollard which most knew and definately Walter Blum .

nijinski
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Saumell was very concerned about the Jockeys well being and pushed hard
to get weight changes . I understand that was a huge frustration for him
while working with the Guild.

CryingForTheHorses
10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Many people here at Calder are stunned that he died.I have spoken with several agants and trainers who are in disbelieve.I never rode him on a horse but I remember him alot,Used to walk by and chat a bit,He also went to culinary school before he decided to go into the guild.I used to joke with him telling him to watch his fingers when he was cutting up food.He would laugh and go on his way.Yes he was also blind in one eye but cant remember which one.Will be missed by many RIP Larry :(

magwell
10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I knew Larry when he first came around. he was always a good guy, this is very sad news........:((

speldedo
10-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Didn't he get busted for using a buzzer?

BSforthelaz
10-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Nope, didn't ride Finger Lakes but he loved the area as he visited as a Jockeys' Guild manager

BSforthelaz
10-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Did not ride CT either, his circuit was NY, NJ, MD, Keeneland, Hialeah, Calder, Gulfstream. He was not blind in one eye although he had many operations on the left eye and he was never caught with a machine, he was accused by NYRA and successfully sued them for libel.

nijinski
10-25-2011, 06:15 AM
Did not ride CT either, his circuit was NY, NJ, MD, Keeneland, Hialeah, Calder, Gulfstream. He was not blind in one eye although he had many operations on the left eye and he was never caught with a machine, he was accused by NYRA and successfully sued them for libel.

Good for you for pointing this out regarding the charge . From what I read
that had to be a tough and costly situation for him. This was something that
was reported to be found on the track , never made sense to single him out.
He is at peace now , although so young.

Pine Tree Lane
10-25-2011, 09:05 AM
With Angel Cordero @ Belmont

http://finalturngallery.com/g2/main.php/d/156981-1/angelcorderolarrysaumellCR.jpg

BSforthelaz
10-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks for posting this photo, I forwarded it to his son who did not have any recent photos of his dad. I am sure he will be grateful.