PDA

View Full Version : Lexington, KY Area Horse Farm Tours

OverlayHunter
10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Does anyone know which, if any, of the companies that offer tours of horse farms in the Lexington area are better to use? Or, I suppose I should also ask, are there any good ways to see the farms without taking a tour?

Bettowin
10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Be sure to go to Old Friends. You might give some of the big ones a call or look at their websites. I went during last year's BC week and had no trouble finding or arranging tours.

dinque
10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Be sure to go to Old Friends. You might give some of the big ones a call or look at their websites. I went during last year's BC week and had no trouble finding or arranging tours.

old friends does daily tours a few times each day...if you call for times i would suggest you drive there without the aid of a tour bus...the tour bus will not give you close to the amount of time you would like to spend there...it is a great experience

Broad Brush
10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know which, if any, of the companies that offer tours of horse farms in the Lexington area are better to use? Or, I suppose I should also ask, are there any good ways to see the farms without taking a tour?

Most of the farms do allow visits if you call ahead and reserve a day and time.
Some have only certain days they allow visiters. Best not to go during
breeding season as they are busy.

To me this is the best way to go. You get a groom who takes you around.
They love the horses and love to talk about them. My father and I once
lucked out and spent an entire afternoon at Three Chimney's with Slew
and Tom Waite his groom.

Be careful though, I have been bitten a few times over the years!!
(I would not trade them for anything though)

Ocala Mike
10-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Try this:

http://www.winstarfarm.com/tours.html

Also, be sure and visit the Kentucky Horse Park.

Ocala Mike

Fingal
10-20-2011, 11:46 AM
During BC week last year, one thing we did on Tuesday was also go to Keeneland for morning works. No one there other than the office people, it's peaceful to be able to walk around the barns, paddock & the track kitchen.

Besides Old Friends, we went out to the Ky Horse Park that day & while closed in terms of exhibits & shows, we walked in & after visiting John & Alysheba, we made our way back to The Barn Of Champions. Funny Cide is a very friendly fellow & Cigar after he finished eating walked into his Paddock & put on a little show for us when he dug a hole, rolled around & then ran to the fence to say hello. You don't get stuff like that in a canned tour.

Charli125
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
You get a groom who takes you around.
They love the horses and love to talk about them.

Make sure to tip your groom/guide. At least in my opinion. Broad Brush is right, while it's great to see the horses, the stories from the people that work with them every day are priceless.

PhantomOnTour
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Make sure to book a tour of Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky.
You will see stalls that housed legends, and will get a tour through their cemetery which will simply take your breath away. The only big Claiborne names that aren't in that yard are Danzig and Unbridled, but Secretariat and Mr. Prospector are there along with many other great horses.
Three Chimneys is nice as well.

Bettowin
10-20-2011, 05:19 PM
During BC week last year, one thing we did on Tuesday was also go to Keeneland for morning works. No one there other than the office people, it's peaceful to be able to walk around the barns, paddock & the track kitchen.

Besides Old Friends, we went out to the Ky Horse Park that day & while closed in terms of exhibits & shows, we walked in & after visiting John & Alysheba, we made our way back to The Barn Of Champions. Funny Cide is a very friendly fellow & Cigar after he finished eating walked into his Paddock & put on a little show for us when he dug a hole, rolled around & then ran to the fence to say hello. You don't get stuff like that in a canned tour.

Mary is that you? Sounds familiar:)

Broad Brush
10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Make sure to tip your groom/guide. At least in my opinion. Broad Brush is right, while it's great to see the horses, the stories from the people that work with them every day are priceless.

Excellent point Charli125!!

I forgot to mention to tip the grooms--they work hard for low pay.

thespaah
10-22-2011, 04:33 PM
OLD FRIENDS!!!!! It's top notch. Mr Michael Blowen, owner is usually on the property. He joined our tour for a while. He's a great guy.
Many stars of yesterday are on display.
Be sure to drop at least a twenty spot per person in the jar at the desk when you walk in.
http://oldfriendsequine.org/

OverlayHunter
10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas.

As luck would have it, we had to make a detour to Ashland to visit a relative who is not doing well and we had far less time than anticipated.

We did make it to Winstar which, though it was a short tour, was definitely worthwhile. Beautiful farm with some great horses and very friendly and informative staff.

We'll look forward to visiting the other suggestions in the spring.

Thanks again.