PDA

View Full Version : Betfair In-Play betting

JJMartin
10-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know if "In-play" betting is allowed on US tracks on Betfair?

BIG49010
10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
They had it for a few months, but Canadian's had a huge advantage over the customers in Europe, so they stopped.

bob60566
10-19-2011, 06:08 PM
They had it for a few months, but Canadian's had a huge advantage over the customers in Europe, so they stopped.

Was that because of the winters we have in Canada

Mac:)

appistappis
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
that was because we has a two to three second advantage seeing the live feed and were "killing them."

horses4courses
10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
that was because we has a two to three second advantage seeing the live feed and were "killing them."

The playing field wasn't level?
Oh my..... :rolleyes:
Seems to me, anyone who got "killed" deserved their fate.

Betfair, obviously, could care less once they were getting their fees.
Naturally, they would issue a statement condemning those taking advantage of the situation.
Need to keep up the old PR front, especially when trying to make inroads into the US market.

A difference in relay feeds?
Wow....talk about an edge!
It's the sort of edge, though, that is fraudulent.
I wonder did Betfair see it as such?
Probably not.....

Canarsie
10-20-2011, 08:06 AM
This has me thinking.

What would stop a large syndicate or player from employing someone at the track who could really read a race while it was being run? Let's say you pay him $300-$500 per card the profit potential would be enormous for in-play betting.

All it takes is a cell phone even a small player and his partner (at the track) could do it.

classhandicapper
10-21-2011, 05:41 PM

I once had the ability to past post races in NY to an offshore that must have been closing the races off a slower satellite feed. I eventually told them and they automated it.

tbwinner
10-22-2011, 11:43 AM
This has me thinking.

What would stop a large syndicate or player from employing someone at the track who could really read a race while it was being run? Let's say you pay him $300-$500 per card the profit potential would be enormous for in-play betting.

All it takes is a cell phone even a small player and his partner (at the track) could do it.

I have never looked into it but are the pools for In-play betting that large where you could actually make a huge amount, or enough for the trouble, with the time delay?

gm10
10-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I have never looked into it but are the pools for In-play betting that large where you could actually make a huge amount, or enough for the trouble, with the time delay?

Sometimes ... yes. If you are standing at the finish line and it's a tight photo, or if the likely winner breaks down, or (over hurdles/fences) when the leader(s) fall(s) at the last obstacle. Or just like this ... the winner was matched at 1000/1 in running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_2lrNt11Hw.

Native Texan III
10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
This has me thinking.

The tracks in UK provide rooms, "live" tv feeds and laptop services, at a cost, to do just that.
One savvy set of customers (the 1%) rip off the great unwashed set of unsavvy customers (the 99%).
Betfair do the "honorable" thing and warm customers in the small print they may be watching something "live" at home that happened 3-6 seconds ago. They still take bets that cannot win though.

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 08:39 AM
I wonder if you can actually wager less than a minute after the race is completed before its official. A sharpie could see a blatant foul (before an objection or inquiry is posted) and take a chance that the horse that finished second gets put up. With a 33% success rate this method could generate a lot of cash if allowed.

Imagine if a 20/1 or higher horse finished second things could dry for a while and he or she would be way ahead.

Marlin
10-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I wonder if you can actually wager less than a minute after the race is completed before its official. A sharpie could see a blatant foul (before an objection or inquiry is posted) and take a chance that the horse that finished second gets put up. With a 33% success rate this method could generate a lot of cash if allowed.

Imagine if a 20/1 or higher horse finished second things could dry for a while and he or she would be way ahead.It would also be interesting to watch odds on a horse that comitted a possible foul "in play". Would they go up? And if so, how much?

JJMartin
10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
The tracks in UK provide rooms, "live" tv feeds and laptop services, at a cost, to do just that.
One savvy set of customers (the 1%) rip off the great unwashed set of unsavvy customers (the 99%).
Betfair do the "honorable" thing and warm customers in the small print they may be watching something "live" at home that happened 3-6 seconds ago. They still take bets that cannot win though.

They are probably betting on the leader at 1st call since those horses have a higher than average win rate and at better odds if there is a delay advantage.