PDA

View Full Version : A wild animal nightmare in rural Ohio

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/oct/18/40/lions-tiger-and-bear-loose-muskingum-county-ar-792445/

Cops shooting exotic animals

DJofSD
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Oh my!

The article implies foul play but what I heard last night on C-2-C indicated otherwise.

How do they get loose?

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Owner committed Suicide after releasing all the animals.

only 3 left. A grizzly/Mountain Lion and a monkey.

Rumors that they shot 4 Adult Bengal Tigers and 3 Grizzly bears.........

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/18/Wild-animals-loose-in-Muskingum-County.html

graphic pic warning

elysiantraveller
10-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Owner committed Suicide after releasing all the animals.

only 3 left. A grizzly/Mountain Lion and a monkey.

Rumors that they shot 4 Adult Bengal Tigers and 3 Grizzly bears.........

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/18/Wild-animals-loose-in-Muskingum-County.html

graphic pic warning

Its a shame... endangered animals have to suffer because of their caretaker's actions.

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 11:34 AM
http://youtu.be/0ISHOJlX_Hs

ArlJim78
10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
one of the local radio newsreaders this morning when describing this story said that the caretaker killed himself then let the animals loose.

after the commercial break and several text messages from listeners, they brought the news reader back on the air for a good laugh.

slew101
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
This story is really unbelievable. If this wasn't an official zoo, how can one person be allowed to have so many animals like that on his property?

I mean really, what is going on?

Tom
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
No laws in Ohio.
They had an executive order, but it got cancelled.

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
He had all the permits required

FantasticDan
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
A sickening story. :( :mad: :(

boxcar
10-19-2011, 01:27 PM

We actually agree on something. I share your sentiments. It is sickening that beautiful, innocent animals are being killed because of the sick actions of their caretaker. Some caretaker!

Boxcar

Marshall Bennett
10-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Often bears meet the same fate due to ignorance by people getting to close. More times than not they take out the bear. Animals don't have enough sense to control their conduct when out of their element. People do.

boxcar
10-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Often bears meet the same fate due to ignorance by people getting to close. More times than not they take out the bear. Animals don't have enough sense to control their conduct when out of their element. People do.

Human history would surely refute that last statement! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
10-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Its really just sad all the way around. Sad for the caretaker, police department, community, and most of all the animals.

Robert Fischer
10-19-2011, 03:06 PM
i'm not 100% clear how a shoot-to-kill order even involves tranquilizers...

good thing Jack Hanna could clear things up!!!

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Absolute nightmare

Graphic pics

slew101
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Sad for the caretaker? That POS knew he was killing every animal on his property by doing what he did.

Looking at his record, he was abusing these animals for years, and nobody could, or wanted, to do anything about it.

[QUOTE=elysiantraveller]Sad for the caretaker

bigmack
10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
While not as bad, I think zoos are equally as inappropriate as these regal animals are NOT INTENDED to be caged for mans delectation.

elysiantraveller
10-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Sad for the caretaker? That POS knew he was killing every animal on his property by doing what he did.

Looking at his record, he was abusing these animals for years, and nobody could, or wanted, to do anything about it.

[QUOTE=elysiantraveller]Sad for the caretaker

I tend to think when people commit suicide its pretty sad... call me nuts.

boxcar
10-19-2011, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=slew101]Sad for the caretaker? That POS knew he was killing every animal on his property by doing what he did.

I tend to think when people commit suicide its pretty sad... call me nuts.

It is sad; however, the suicidal make that choice. What choice are the poor innocent animals having, except to try to survive in an environment entirely not of their making or liking?

Boxcar

elysiantraveller
10-19-2011, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=elysiantraveller]

It is sad; however, the suicidal make that choice. What choice are the poor innocent animals having, except to try to survive in an environment entirely not of their making or liking?

Boxcar

I said I feel bad sad for everyone, the caretaker, police department, community and most of all the animals. Slew had a problem with that statement.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2011, 04:14 AM
Absolute nightmare

Graphic pics

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/18/Wild-animals-loose-in-Muskingum-County.htmlThis is such a senseless, avoidable tragedy. Look at all those magnificent creatures lying there dead after meeting such a violent end.

THREE Bengal tigers? Are you kidding me? These things are on the endangered species list, and now three of them are dead for absolutely no reason other then this asshole had to go out in a blaze of glory, so to speak.

So ****ing sad. What a selfish sick prick this man was. I hope he rots in hell.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Sad that some of the animals were shot only to die much later. Authorites could have been more accurate with their assault on them.

Tom
10-20-2011, 07:57 AM
No, they couldn't. They could not afford to miss even one.
The public was at extreme risk. Sad, but it has to happen this way.

PaceAdvantage
10-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Correction...EIGHTEEN BENGAL TIGERS this guy had...ALL DEAD

There are only 1400-1500 alive in the entire world, and this scumbag had 18 of them...what a sick piece of shit this guy was to do this to these animals.

Makes me sick.

JustRalph
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Sad that some of the animals were shot only to die much later. Authorites could have been more accurate with their assault on them.

What the hell are you talking about ?

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm not happy with the animals getting shot. Just saying a clean kill would have been better than having them wonder off, suffer, and then die. Is there a problem with this analogy?

Sugar Ron
10-20-2011, 02:47 PM
No laws in Ohio.
They had an executive order, but it got cancelled.

By the new con governor

Shocking..................................

JustRalph
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not happy with the animals getting shot. Just saying a clean kill would have been better than having them wonder off, suffer, and then die. Is there a problem with this analogy?

There is no such thing as a clean kill of a 300 pound animal. Rarely is there a "clean kill" when a Deer hunter kills a Deer.

You can't take headshots. You take out the lungs. to ensure a kill.

Lots of stuff wrong with your analogy, but they all have to do with ballistics and the conditions during the event. Nothing to argue about in this forum.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Was simply being sympathetic towards the few that lingered. Wasn't trying to get technical with ballistics and an entire case study.
Sorry I posted anything.

elysiantraveller
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM

I agree but cops don't really carry anything big enough that you would want to use on a tiger.

JustRalph
10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x2151231#2151236

BlueShoe
10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I agree but cops don't really carry anything big enough that you would want to use on a tiger.
If they used the standard 5.56 military round they were woefully undergunned and the big animals would have taken many hits to bring down. Some Swat team snipers have .308s, a much better choice, but still too light for a tiger, lion, or grizzly, although adequate for the smaller animals. Link states that several animals were shot by police handguns. Large dangerous animals definitely not the best targets for the usual police 9mm handguns, or, for that matter, any handgun. Without knowing more, the animals shot may have taken multiple rounds before dying. In defense of LE, a suitable large caliber rifle like a .375 or .416 is not something that could have been quickly found in that part of Ohio.

Tom
10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
By the new con governor

Shocking..................................

You insights on this forum are outstanding.
Who did you think canceled it? The Sugar Plum Fairy?

Tom
10-20-2011, 09:58 PM
911 calls were putting animals in the middle of people - can you imagine if some kid walking to school ran into a lion or tiger? Or you go out to get in your car and come face to face with a bear?

I cannot see any reason to allow any kind of animal reserves like this to exist - no good comes from it.

Sugar Ron
10-20-2011, 11:16 PM
You insights on this forum are outstanding.
Who did you think canceled it? The Sugar Plum Fairy?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/19/humane-society-head-wants-ohio-exotic-animal-ban.html

Nice job, guv.................................

Robert Fischer
10-21-2011, 02:02 AM
I cannot see any reason to allow any kind of animal reserves like this to exist - no good comes from it.

agreed.

there are some efficient, safe, and effective preservations, but this site should never have been allowed to be established.

apparently there were other issues with the former owner who they say apparently commited suicide. He had high grade weapons? w.out papers/serial#s? wtf

JustRalph
10-21-2011, 05:32 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/19/humane-society-head-wants-ohio-exotic-animal-ban.html

Nice job, guv.................................

Looks like Kasich was right. Read the article. Btw, if you think continuing the exec order would have stopped this......you're nuts. The guy was in prison already. He just got out. His wife was the owner of record while he was in prison. Once again sugar, you mislead. It's in your nature........I understand

Sugar Ron
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Aw, the poor con guv, Ralph ... completely helpless to do a thing about a convicted abuser having DOZENS of dangerous wild animals.

Given cons love of regulations, I'm sure dealing with situations like this was right on top of the guv's to-do list ... LMAO

Yet another incompetent con who can't see the forest for the trees...

JustRalph
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Aw, the poor con guv, Ralph ... completely helpless to do a thing about a convicted abuser having DOZENS of dangerous wild animals.

Given cons love of regulations, I'm sure dealing with situations like this was right on top of the guv's to-do list ... LMAO

Yet another incompetent con who can't see the forest for the trees...

As usual, you didn't refute my point that the entire premise of the article and therefore your point, is wrong.

Btw, the local authorities would be responsible for making the charge even if your point was correct. The local authorities were aware of his past and they were also aware of the exec order that Strickland had authored. If anybody is responsible for not putting the two things together, it would be the county authorities. Not the "Con Gov"

BlueShoe
10-22-2011, 08:59 AM
As we might have expected, the leftie looney treehugger Bambiest crowd has gone bonkers over this awful event. The usual shrieks of "bloodthirsty brutal police massacring helpless animals", "they could have tranquillized the animals", and so on. All reports have stated that the LE ordered to shoot the animals were revolted by having to do so, none of them enjoyed it. A tranquillizer dart is inaccurate, must be fired from close range, and takes several minutes to take effect, and many animals hit by a dart become even more enraged and erratic. An animal that is a threat to humans, pets, or livestock must be eliminated, there really is no other choice. A terrified, enraged 400 pound lion, tiger, or bear in the dark is most surely a threat. It could have been even a bit worse. Was puzzled when reports stated that three leopards had been taken to zoos. For some reason, the psyco owner did not release them, they were still in their cages. Good thing, if there is one animal on this planet that you do not want to pursue, day or night, it is the leopard. Only one third the size of a lion or tiger, but absolutely lethal. Just an awful, sickening thing, but it must be remembered; people do come before animals, not the other way around.

JustRalph
10-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Blueshoe

LE rumors say that he didn't finish opening the cages before a lion or tiger got to him. And he shot himself while being attacked.........the Leopards were the last cage ..........

how they came to that conclusion I don't know......but that's the rumor in LE circles..........

JustRalph
10-23-2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/23/it-was-our-only-option.html

I can't imagine being the first Deputy to arrive............ read about it at the link

rastajenk
10-25-2011, 09:28 AM
The part in Ralph's link about keeping the animals off I-70 was pretty crazy. It was getting dark, and raining pretty good, I think. Imagine cruising along, peering through the wipers, completely unaware, when a tiger chases a deer across the road in front of you, maybe even takes it down in the median, or gets hit by a truck. Man, that would have been a WTF moment of historic proportions. :eek:

Tom
10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
A WTF moment for sure. IT was a perfect script for WKRP in Cincinnati, with Dr Johnny Fever coming across that scene on his way to work! He calls Les and Herb and the Big Guy.....the damn show just about writes itself.