PDA

View Full Version : help -- pc crashed

andicap
10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
`my toshiba satellite turns on, passes the "toshiba" intro screen then goes blank -- nothing.

i did drop the laptop last night and it was working right after i dropped it but woke up this morning and it wasn't working.

ANY ideas what's wrong??

Canarsie
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery, then press and hold the power button down for a minimum of 30 seconds. Replace the battery and see if it powers up.

If not repeat the process but this time leave the battery out and only plug in the AC. If it still doesn't power on repeat the process again and this time replace the battery and plug the AC back in. If it still doesn't power up it's time to start checking the hardware. Remove the ram and try it with only one stick.

After that it's either the hard drive or motherboard.

Hope this helps.

andicap
10-19-2011, 08:52 AM
thanks will try

JustRalph
10-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Andy, sounds like it is powering on......trying to post ......

Try to get into the bios setup and see if the hard drive is still detected

Sounds like the drive is not spinning up.....Or the boot sector was damaged when dropped. You can try to boot from a windows cd etc....then troubleshoot the drive

Canarsie
10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Andy, sounds like it is powering on......trying to post ......

Try to get into the bios setup and see if the hard drive is still detected

Sounds like the drive is not spinning up.....Or the boot sector was damaged when dropped. You can try to boot from a windows cd etc....then troubleshoot the drive

Ralph is also spot on could be in the bios. If you don't know how to access it here's a list of keys for many manufacturers.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

andicap
10-30-2011, 01:56 PM
thanks all -- turned out it was the hard drive -- good thing i had most things backed up. ..still set me back $350. (laptop only a year old -- decided not to buy new one).
really stupid way to drop it. It was sitting on my coffee table and I tripped on the cord in the dark.
:mad: