PDA

View Full Version : IE 9

Marshall Bennett
10-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Have yet to install this, have older version and it's getting slow and sometimes down all together. I have a few questions. Are all the bugs out and does it seem remarkably better? Is it simple to install? If I don't like it will the older IE be lost where I'd be stuck with it? Will I be able to save all the programs from older version such as favorites and sites I've stored there.
Would appreciate any help? I've always been hesitant about making big changes to my computer. Hate going where i've never been.
Thanks.

Flysofree
10-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Have yet to install this, have older version and it's getting slow and sometimes down all together. I have a few questions. Are all the bugs out and does it seem remarkably better? Is it simple to install? If I don't like it will the older IE be lost where I'd be stuck with it? Will I be able to save all the programs from older version such as favorites and sites I've stored there.
Would appreciate any help? I've always been hesitant about making big changes to my computer. Hate going where i've never been.
Thanks.

I'm probably one of the last people here to give knowledgeable computer advice. But let me tell you this. I have a new computer 2 months old running Windows 7. On my home page Yahoo, there was an ad at the top to download the quote "new, safer IE9". Like a dummy, I followed directions and had multiple problems..called HP for help. They reccommended I use IE 8. The tech there said that Microsoft released no. 9 before it was ready.... I guess that was his opinion.. He was still running IE6 if you can believe that!

Robert Goren
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Expect some people to post about dumping IE altogether and going to Chrome or whatever. Ignore the whatevers unless you are a computer geek. I have down loaded Chrome and have not given up on it yet. It is quite a bit faster and lot smoother, but there is a learning curve with it. I am getting old and hate devoting time to learning things like this. But if you don't mind spending a half an hour or so learning the ins and outs go ahead.

Canarsie
10-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Download Google Chrome it's the best browser out there. You will be able to export your bookmarks and other stuff from IE.

Take a look at all the extensions you can use with Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore?category=ext

Marshall Bennett
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I may sit on what I have for now. I often use firefox which is quite superior to the old EI version I'm using, but have always enjoyed IE format.
Always get good information on this site when trouble strikes or need help. Thanks again.

Flysofree
10-20-2011, 08:26 AM
From my limited experience, picking which browser is no-where near the most important thing for speed. I think it has to do with other settings in your computer or maybe it has a name like processor, etc.

Flysofree
10-20-2011, 08:31 AM
I have a couple of horse racing programs which won't work on Windows 7. Is there someway to make them compatable. I have the disk for the programs.

I think there may be but I need it explaned very very simply. I don't know- speak the language well... :)

Flysofree
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
meant to have this in a new thread..

Canarsie
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Try reading this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/compatibility

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

headhawg
10-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I guess that was his opinion.. He was still running IE6 if you can believe that!IE6 still has security flaws that will never be patched. Like any other profession -- attorneys, mechanics, doctors -- 20% of them are good and 80% are average at best and they go down all the way to scary incompetent. This probably applies to some of the advice that is given out here as well. The fact that the HP tech is still using IE6 should tell you what percentage he belongs in.

As far as browser speed, it's not the most important thing -- security is. But why not have both? Try Chrome (which I did not like) or Firefox, my personal favorite.

Flysofree
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
IE6 still has security flaws that will never be patched. Like any other profession -- attorneys, mechanics, doctors -- 20% of them are good and 80% are average at best and they go down all the way to scary incompetent. This probably applies to some of the advice that is given out here as well. The fact that the HP tech is still using IE6 should tell you what percentage he belongs in.

As far as browser speed, it's not the most important thing -- security is. But why not have both? Try Chrome (which I did not like) or Firefox, my personal favorite.

But are all computers created equal as to speed? I agree safety is NUMBER ONE above all.
But my strong guess that at some point, Microsoft will have the "fastest" browser out there... I prefer IE 8 over the others. IE 9 was bad for me.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm not even sure which Windows version I'm using, where do you find that?
Bad to know you're dumb with computers only to find out you're even dumber. :D

wilderness
10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Search help for "System Information"

OR

Simply look on the back of your machine at the small Microsoft License sticker.

forced89
10-20-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm not even sure which Windows version I'm using, where do you find that? :D

I had no idea what version of IE I was using. I found out that if you go to "Tools" (someone told me you can also go to "Help"), then click on "About Internet Explorer" it will tell you. I did this, and found out I am using IE9, without any problems I might add.

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks, but still can't find it. Next time I pull tower out to clean I'll look on the back.

DJofSD
10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Mildly interesting read: http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/web-apps/2011/10/21/microsoft-browser-standards-drive-innovation-40094254/

Marshall Bennett
04-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Finally downloaded IE9 this morning. I don't know about others, but I find it no faster than my older version. Almost wish I'd left everything alone.

Native Texan III
04-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks, but still can't find it. Next time I pull tower out to clean I'll look on the back.

To find Windows version:

Click the Start button http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/main/4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg, type winver in the search box, and then press Enter
If the steps above don't work on your computer, you might be running a previous version of Windows. To check, click Start, click Run, type winver, and then press Enter.

If you are running Winows XP then IE9 does not work for that and you can stick with IE8 or use Chrome, Opera or whatever.

senortout
04-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Marshall, have you recently moved, or downgraded your internet access to a slower connection?....have you a wireless router? It may be being used by others in your home, perhaps, which would slow you down in the process. For example, someone in the other room playing games w/playstation 3 or another gaming system. I have the potential at my home for 8 or 9 things legally accessing my dsl connection at any given time. Of course, usually its just me on the desktop. When my son comes home he fires up a laptop, he sometimes walks in the door with his iphone hooked into our wireless listening to music, sometimes the wii is being played with, or the ps3, or the internet radio, or someone is using a torrent link(very bandwidth intensive) See if any of those apply to you!

Marshall Bennett
04-21-2012, 03:53 AM
This is the only machine connected. My server actually upgraded several months ago so my connection speed is faster now. Firefox seems to be almost twice as fast as the EI9 I downloaded. I'm not going to worry a heck of a lot about it since I use Firefox 98% of the time these days. Just seems strange to me that one system is so much better than the other. Thanks everyone.

senortout
04-21-2012, 04:05 AM
Ie.....tools.......internet options........clear history and cookies, which is quite a safe thing to do on a regular basis anyway. May speed er up several ticks!

Uncle Salty
04-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Use any other browser besides IE and you will be a much happier person.

Robert Goren
04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Use any other browser besides IE and you will be a much happier person.I tried Chrome for a while and I wasn't happier.

wilderness
04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I tried Chrome for a while and I wasn't happier.

Perhaps you failed to take the "happy pill" that comes in the box ;)

turninforhome10
04-21-2012, 04:03 PM
How does it work with XP and 512 mb ram? Afraid it might be slow on older machines? Using both Chrome and IE8. Find Chrome is better with Flash and downloading files such as pdf while IE8 works better with Twinspires.