PDA

View Full Version : Houston Cougars?

Marshall Bennett
10-17-2011, 07:20 AM
They're currently 6-0 ranked 21st in AP. They really haven't beat anyone noteworthy, UCLA in their first game otherwise, nothing. Their remaining schedule is equally weak, Marshall, Rice, UAB, Tulane, SMU, and Tulsa.
What does BCS do with them should they finish 11-0? They do have one of the nation's better quarterbacks and are averaging 47 pts. a game. Obviously they'll go untested by any ranked opponents. If ever a situation would benefit from a playoff system, this would be it.
Any thoughts?

ManU918
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
They're currently 6-0 ranked 21st in AP. They really haven't beat anyone noteworthy, UCLA in their first game otherwise, nothing. Their remaining schedule is equally weak, Marshall, Rice, UAB, Tulane, SMU, and Tulsa.
What does BCS do with them should they finish 11-0? They do have one of the nation's better quarterbacks and are averaging 47 pts. a game. Obviously they'll go untested by any ranked opponents. If ever a situation would benefit from a playoff system, this would be it.
Any thoughts?

I like this Houston team and have been following Case Keenum since his freshman season, but unfortunately for them they have no shot at a BCS bowl. The lack of SOS and the fact that Boise State doesn't play any other competitive team this year hurts them. Because Boise don't play any other tough team this season they could very well be getting jumped by the likes of Wisconsin, Clemson, Stanford, etc. No way an undefeated team from the WAC and an undefeated team from Conference USA make it to a BCS bowl... Ultimately Houston is looking at a trip to the Liberty Bowl as the Conference USA champion vs an SEC team.

ManU918
11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Beautiful upset yesterday by TCU if your a Cougar fan. I was pulling hard for TCU because I would much rather see Houston in a BCS game then Boise. This makes the season ending Houston vs Tulsa game very interesting. Hopefully Houston is in the top 10 when the BCS rankings come out tonight. Even with an undefeated season their SOS could still keep them out of a BCS game but I really hope if they run the table they get a shot.

cj
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Tulsa's only losses have come to OU, OSU, and Boise. They will give Houston all they want. I think I may actually go. It should be worth the price of a ticket.

ManU918
11-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Tulsa's only losses have come to OU, OSU, and Boise. They will give Houston all they want. I think I may actually go. It should be worth the price of a ticket.

Tulsa is a very good team. Gameday will be at Houston next week for the SMU game.

ManU918
11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Houston got the shaft. If anything the Cougars should be 10 and Boise should be 11. I don't know how Boise, a 14.5 point favorite loses at home and is still in the top 10. That's ridiculous.

cj
11-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Houston got the shaft. If anything the Cougars should be 10 and Boise should be 11. I don't know how Boise, a 14.5 point favorite loses at home and is still in the top 10. That's ridiculous.

I agree, that is why the BCS sucks. However, a win over Tulsa should move them up.

ManU918
11-20-2011, 08:06 AM
With Oregon, Clemson, and Oklahoma with two L's, if Houston can take care of business in Tulsa next week they should be pretty much guaranteed a BCS bid. I'll be curious to see what the line is. Tulsa is as hot as any team in the country right now. If the Golden Hurricane end up being a home dog that could be trouble for the Cougars.

cj
11-20-2011, 12:28 PM
With Oregon, Clemson, and Oklahoma with two L's, if Houston can take care of business in Tulsa next week they should be pretty much guaranteed a BCS bid. I'll be curious to see what the line is. Tulsa is as hot as any team in the country right now. If the Golden Hurricane end up being a home dog that could be trouble for the Cougars.

They should be, but they still have to pass Boise. Those other teams don't matter much.

cj
11-21-2011, 12:30 AM
They should be, but they still have to pass Boise. Those other teams don't matter much.

I was wrong about that. Because the Big East stinks, they are guaranteed to get in if they win the conference and are in the top 16. Boise won't be a conference champ and Houston will. I still think Tulsa will take them out though.

maddog42
11-21-2011, 01:57 AM
I was wrong about that. Because the Big East stinks, they are guaranteed to get in if they win the conference and are in the top 16. Boise won't be a conference champ and Houston will. I still think Tulsa will take them out though.

Tulsa is a damn good football team. Injuries cost them the Boise game probably.

Marshall Bennett
11-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Believe Cougars will take care of business. :)

cj
11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Believe Cougars will take care of business. :)

They did so in spades.

Marshall Bennett
11-25-2011, 07:29 PM
Curious as to whether they're close to a record for total points scored in a season for a division 1 team?

ManU918
11-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Houston a 14 point favorite vs Southern Miss.

rastajenk
11-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Curious as to whether they're close to a record for total points scored in a season for a division 1 team?I haven't looked anything up, but they might not even set a team record for points. The Klingler years were highly productive, and Andre Ware won a Heisman, didn't he, for putting up big figs.

But yeah, this year's bunch is pretty good. :ThmbUp:

canleakid
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
HOUSTON #6 IN THE BCS :ThmbUp: , bosie st #7 :jump: 'bout time