PDA

View Full Version : The Training Game

turfbar
10-16-2011, 09:05 AM
To whom this may concern, SHELBY

These are quotes taken from a book written by Karen M. Johnson in a chapter devoted to Allen Jerkins

"For instance,he claims that there is a connection between the full moon and
the behavior of fillies.

" Teamate, she would go jumping," Jerkins said . The night watchman would call and say , "This filly is going crazy. What do you want me to do with her?. I would come out and put her in the outdoor pen and fool around with her. She would do that every once in a while. I always said if they get thier female cycle, the same time it is a full moon, and maybe the same time they [breeze]---all
together---- sometimes they can't handle it. I could be wrong about that, but I think it has something to do with it."

I wanted to respond to the TVG/women in the workplace thread but it was closed, I hope the message gets there.

Turfbar

p.s. The book is called "The Training Game" by Karen M. Johnson
written in 2008

lamboguy
10-16-2011, 10:35 AM
for sure when they get lit up those filly's can do some crazy things and their minds are on everything else other than training or racing.

pondman
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
The moon is important to hens and egg production. Why should it be any different for horses?

Light is important to a horses cycle whether from the moon, artificial lighting, or the sun.

Robert Goren
10-16-2011, 05:42 PM
All lot of things are supposedly connected to a full moon. The only thing I have seen that happens during a full moon is a lot half baked theories about things that are supposed to happen then make an appearance.

ldiatone
10-16-2011, 05:47 PM
also its stated bass fishing is at its best around the full moon. ask doug hannon the "bass professor"

Canarsie
10-17-2011, 08:40 AM
also its stated bass fishing is at its best around the full moon. ask doug hannon the "bass professor"

Being a fisherman the person is spot on. The biggest bass are usually caught during the full moon phase during November.

Having said that I have fished many jetties during my life and without a doubt sometimes it gets a little scary during a full moon. Some people really act weird on the rocks. I have moved numerous times rather than take a chance. It wouldn't be a pleasant experience being shoved in around fifty degree water with waders on in the middle of the night. Lets throw in the danger of being attacked by a gaff.

What am I saying. All forms of life act strange during a full moon. Some stranger than others.

ldiatone
10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
now the full moon stirs activity in insects and micro-thingies in the water and air which causes the larger predators to stir etc.

Greyfox
10-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Most policemen and emergency room nurses will swear that the full moon brings out increased demands.
For whatever reason, none of several studies have ever been able to demonstrate any significant changes than usual.