PDA

View Full Version : Patriot Act?

highnote
11-29-2003, 04:12 AM
Several months ago you might remember that the Dept of Defense started a betting site called the Policy Analysis Market (PAM). It was a site that would take bets on propositions like "how long could Saddam maintain power?"

It was misunderstood by politicians. Many said that it would encourage bombing or other terrorist acts so that someone could win a bet.

Sen. Daschle from one of the Dakotas and Feinburg or Feinstein (spelling?) of California, both Democrats, were critical of the DOD for creating PAM.

I wrote to them expressing my opinion that I thought PAM was a great idea and that I thought they did not understand PAM and how useful it could be in the war on terrorism and that I thought they were ill-informed. I was probably a little too harsh in my criticism.

In any case, about a week later, I sent a check for $40 to BRISBET to keep my account active. A week went by and my check had not made it to BRISBET. About a week later my check and the envelop it was in was returned to me in a plastic bad badly damaged with an apology note from the post office.

Ironic? Yes. Coincidental? Maybe. Am I wrong to think that maybe my mail was tampered with?

This has always bothered me a little. However, if it was tampered with by some gov't agency I have to laugh that it was only a $40 check. What were they expecting -- $40,000?

I sent a new check and it arrived safely. But I have to wonder.

BillW
11-29-2003, 04:30 AM
John,

An old (maybe not so old?) quote/saying paraphrased ...
Never suspect conspiracy when incompetency will adequately explain circumstances.

After all it was the post office :D

Bill

highnote
11-29-2003, 04:37 AM
BillW,
Good point. I forgot that I was dealing with the post office. I've got the world's greatest postman delivering to my house -- but once it leaves his hands....

Also, I'm a registered Democrat, so I'm probably prone to believing in conspiracies ever since JFK's assassination and Hilary's claim of the "vast right-wing conspiracy". :)

Rexdale You
11-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi,Swet,

Did you get the results of "Pam" .What were the

Probabilities covered. i.e an hour,a day , a week etc.

Myself i would have picked a week with the right odds.

And i would bet on the post office to screw up also.

Later,,,,Rex You:cool: :cool: :cool:

highnote
11-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Rex,
I didn't get to their website in time. It was closed down when I went there.

You can still make similar bets in England. I think BETDAQ.com has some political bets.

John