PDA

View Full Version : Recovery?

Flysofree
10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Can this be used multiple times on a computer without causing a problem?

wilderness
10-14-2011, 01:46 PM
You just had this thread a few days ago (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88095)

Did you miss something or are you having a "seniors moment" ?

Flysofree
10-14-2011, 04:10 PM
You just had this thread a few days ago (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88095)

Did you miss something or are you having a "seniors moment" ?
LOL..This is an entirely different question, but thanks for yor help.

JustRalph
10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Can this be used multiple times on a computer without causing a problem?

sure............

it puts wear and tear on the hard drive and disk drive you run it from (if you are using a recovery cd) but nothing out of the ordinary...........

Flysofree
10-15-2011, 08:53 AM
What I'm trying to understand is this: The first week of owning this new computer, I had to call HP about a problem. The tech had me run the Recovery program. I haven't run it since that first week.

When I go to "My Computer", I see the following:

OS (C) 873GB Free of 920GB
HP Recovery (D): 1.37GB Free of 11.2GB

It looks like to me there is not much free space on the HP Recovery (D). So I was thinking what happens if I have to run Recovery again. Will there be even less Free space??

JustRalph
10-15-2011, 09:10 AM
What I'm trying to understand is this: The first week of owning this new computer, I had to call HP about a problem. The tech had me run the Recovery program. I haven't run it since that first week.

When I go to "My Computer", I see the following:

OS (C) 873GB Free of 920GB
HP Recovery (D): 1.37GB Free of 11.2GB

It looks like to me there is not much free space on the HP Recovery (D). So I was thinking what happens if I have to run Recovery again. Will there be even less Free space??

don't sweat it. The D: drive are the recovery files. As long as you don't save any files to that drive letter etc, you will be fine. It doesn't change just because you run the recovery. It's just a storage drive (it actually exists on the same hard drive as your C: drive) or partition. Just leave it alone. When you run a recovery, the recovery program uses those files from D: to restore your computer to factory condition.

Flysofree
10-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Thanks JR! :)

DJofSD
10-15-2011, 10:00 AM
To tailgate on JR's post: the HP Recovery drive, as was already stated, is used to return your PC to factory condition. That means the Windows operating system and all of the other software from MicroSoft and HP are reinstalled.

The end result is anything you might have installed on your own will be lost. It has been too long ago for me to remember if the C: drive is reformatted or not. Just to be on the safe side, I am going to say the C: drive is reformatted. This means any data you have will also be lost. The point is this: have a good back up before resorting to using the HP D:drive recovery option.

While the recovery facility is a very good way to recover your PC in the event of a bad software update or other error, it should be the tool of last resort. In other words, if, for example, a MicroSoft Update causes your favorite handicapping program to stop working, do not turn to the recovery option found on the D: drive as the way to get things working.

The recovery tool on the D: drive is a sledge hammer. Do not use it to crack just any nut.

JustRalph
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM
He probably gets a choice of a destructive recovery (formatted all lost) or a non destructive lesser option that restores the windows files and or any HP software that came with the machine. The latter can be useful......... but not often in my experience.

Flysofree
10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I've forgotten if there was anychoice when I ran it. But all the HP techs (when you send them an email question) want you to run The Recovery. Either they are lazy or don't know the answer to a question.

DJofSD
10-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Either they are lazy or don't know the answer to a question.
Both.

wilderness
10-15-2011, 02:19 PM
I've forgotten if there was anychoice when I ran it. But all the HP techs (when you send them an email question) want you to run The Recovery. Either they are lazy or don't know the answer to a question.

And like most computer techs, they naturally assume that every computer user understands the benefits of regular data backup, and does backup their data to an alternative storage.

WRONG!

forced89
10-15-2011, 02:57 PM
The recovery tool on the D: drive is a sledge hammer. Do not use it to crack just any nut.

About 3 months after I bought my Campaq Presario laptop I had something go terribly wrong. Since the things that are important to me such as my bookmarks, my email contacts, etc. are stored offsite at Yahoo and Google, I took a shot and returned my laptop to "out of the box" condition. It worked like a charm although it took me a little bit of time to reinstall my internet connection, my anti-virus and Sun word processing,etc. I would use it again in a heartbeat if necessary.