PDA

View Full Version : TVG canceled! (by me)

njcurveball
10-14-2011, 12:24 PM
As I continued to watch more and more layoffs and departures from a channel that went from likeable to tolerable to intolerable I finally decided to vote with my wallet.

New people like Michelle and Gino are great for the "wack pack" but in prime time, the lack of knowledge just is not tolerable. The patting on the back after a $6 winner and the continued inclusion of recognition for winning a race with an ALL selection just made the mute key more familiar.

It was a tough decision as I wanted to support racing and there is only one channel available in my area. But the show has become inferior to a high school TV broadcast.

The biggest offense may just be the fact that they do not show odds and minutes to post during commercials. Some may laugh and say you should get those off the Internet. And my response would be, if I get all my information off of the Internet, why do I need TVG?

Some recent highlights included the on-air talent talking about "their friends" who are trainers and why they should not be suspended. Hey, they are good people!

And a pick-3 lesson from Gino where if you have decided to use 4 horses in a race, you might as well just hit the all button. Especially if you do not have a $60 budget!

Perhaps he has no idea that the typical race bettor plays less than $60 on a race?

I am sure many like the selection oriented approach. For my 2 cents, I enjoyed Michelle much better when she was just saying how horses looked, rather than trying to juggle odds and pat herself on the back with a winning pick.

One more recent highlight was a harness race from Freehold where the selector chose 2 horses, one of them won and paid $14 or so and he was told by the other on air person he should have bet them.

Someone here let me know when the madness stops and they go back to giving information about racing and not trying to coax novice bettors to bet more money on selections they do not even bet themselves.

Jim

Tom
10-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I love the analogy to a high school game! Truth is, racing has a long way to go get that organized.

TVG has so little to do with racing it is not funny.

davew
10-14-2011, 03:44 PM
how many selectors do you feel bet their selections?

the newspapers, DRF, tip sheets - may or may bet someone else after scratches, weather, jockey changes .... alter the race

and then the toteboard may make another choice a better bet

as far as canceling - probably good idea if you do not get the value

affirmedny
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
They were showing only 3 tracks last night and almost 50 percent of the time races were shown on tape delay.

toussaud
10-14-2011, 03:52 PM
wow that's sad.

i tuned in for one day to watch del mar on a Friday and I thought iw as watching the Disney channel

the ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason that place is alive is their relationship with direct TV. If HRTV ever got on Direct TV it would be lights out within 2 years.

what gets me about TVG is that in general they don't have the best interest of the bettor in mind. they a re out to milk him out of as much money as possible as quickly as possible

PhantomOnTour
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
TVG always has odds and minutes to post showing, except when races are being run. They also scroll payoffs constantly.
TVG does keep these scrolls going during commercials, contrary to what the OP said.
It is HRTV that needs a lesson or two about scrolling odds, MTP and payoffs.
They are terrible in that department.

However, it's the only thing TVG does right...okay, their picture is better also. ;)

toussaud
10-14-2011, 06:37 PM
HRTV does do MTP. how can you miss that big ass panel at the bottom of the screen?

they don't show them for every track at the same time, they generally rotate the tracks with the closest race / race they are showing getting preference.

they do payoffs too. don't know where you are getting this info from.

in fact what HRTV does, is they will show the payoff on the "big screen" then when the next race at that track is about to be shown via post parade, they will show the prices /payouts again.

I don't know what hrtv could do outside of leaving the screen on when the commercialsf are on that they aren't doing.

PhantomOnTour
10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't say that HRTV doesn't show odds, MTP etc...what I said was that they could stand to do it better...ala TVG. They are very slow to rotate the payoffs.

ManU918
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
TVG would be fine if Simon, Matt, and Todd was on there from the time they went on air to the time they went off. I'm not going to get anal because I am just satisfied enough to have a horse racing channel and those three guys know and entertain me enough to get me through it. When Christine is on there I have to immediately turn off the channel.

GatetoWire
10-14-2011, 08:54 PM
You guys just need to lower your standards and none of this will bother you.

I have DirecTv and TVG in my only option for TV coverage.

Who cares about the bad info they give you. Just block it out.
Stupid comments. Block it out

They show the races (some live and some on delay) and that's all I expect.

The handicapping would improve if they had one person dedicated to each track. Instead the 5 hosts rotating in for an 1 hour to cover 4 tracks at once have zero chance to have a positive ROI.
I could care less. I have never ever played one of their selections and I never will.

We will see how long it takes for Tom Cassidy to lose his mind.
He is a fantastic capper and a great player when he focused on Monmouth only. I think he is destined to become 0 fer playing a new track every 5 min.

toetoe
10-14-2011, 11:10 PM
How about Todd Schrupp's singing ? Frank Lyons' impression of Cro-Hibernian Caveman ? Paul LoDuca's sprinkling of 'as well' into practically every sentence ? Is Mr. Baedeker unbearable ? Oh, no question. You better believe it. Unbearable indeed.

theguarantee
10-14-2011, 11:32 PM
the ONLY, and I mean ONLY reason that place is alive is their relationship with direct TV. If HRTV ever got on Direct TV it would be lights out within 2 years.

what gets me about TVG is that in general they don't have the best interest of the bettor in mind. they a re out to milk him out of as much money as possible as quickly as possible

I don't know. You're probably right in the fact that HRTV is better for the serious bettor, but in terms of "watchability" - to the average fan - I think they would prefer TVG.

toussaud
10-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I don't know. You're probably right in the fact that HRTV is better for the serious bettor, but in terms of "watchability" - to the average fan - I think they would prefer TVG.
but think about it for a second.

how can anyone who has the intention to actually sit down and watch horse racing, like TVG's production over HRTV's outside of the crappy video feed HRTV gets?

TVG's whole angle seems to be that people don't like horse racing, we have to keep them entertained.

If I am actually intent on watching a race track, i want to watch HRTV.

Tom
10-15-2011, 12:02 AM
TVG's whole angle seems to be that people don't like horse racing, we have to keep them entertained.

That set full of clowns is supposed to be entertaining????
I thought they were in some sort of therapy.
I watch them and think to myself, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

mannyberrios
10-15-2011, 12:45 AM
Agreed!

Rapid Grey
10-15-2011, 01:09 AM
How about Todd Schrupp's singing ? Frank Lyons' impression of Cro-Hibernian Caveman ? Paul LoDuca's sprinkling of 'as well' into practically every sentence ? Is Mr. Baedeker unbearable ? Oh, no question. You better believe it. Unbearable indeed.

lmao, good stuff. I think they let Frank just show up, no prep work, no rehersal, just read the top line of the pp and the bloodlines......"he's a Superglue colt out of a Hasben mare." :sleeping:

Carrothers is the one unbearable to me, the other day he shows up to host with Rich Perloff, one of the few who actually seem to care. Anyway you can tell right off Matt doesn't want to be there (probably because everybody else is at Keeneland) as he is insulting to Rich, talks over him constantly and bascially just being an a$$. If I was Perloff I would have told him to go have sex with himself.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Time to opine.

1. On the plus side TVG pays to be broadcast into your home. HRTV refuses to do the same stating it would be far too costly. For all the knocking including me thats a very important fact.
'
To another suggestion by the board, Daruty said paying for distribution on cable systems "is not sustainable for the long range."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/64724/hrtvs-limited-access-draws-board-action

2. Its really been awful lately I hardly even watch. That's my prerogative and I exercise it. When Perloff is on alone I keep it on, my computer has a TV card. Hines, Mirahmadi, amd Lyons are also watches but depend who they are paired with. Greg Wolf is the worst he was actually reading the wrong days form shows you how much they care about their customers.

3. HRTV is shooting themselves in the foot asking for almost $100 a year to watch their internet feed. If it was $25 I would sign up even though I can watch the video feeds from tracks through my ADW.

4. You watch a production like Taking Horses and wind up scratching your head thinking 'why can't they do this'?

5. I get that they are trying to lure the younger customer to their client base but its coming at the expense of people who don't want to see that crap now.

6. I still don't understand how a producer can think eating on a tv set is funny.

7. While this is trivial even the commercials are better on HRTV. They probably are able to charge more though I have no evidence to back that up.

8. If your not an "exclusive" track like NYRA they give you the shaft big time. I understand the business model but that's why people who wager at NYRA tracks shouldn't even watch them.

9. After the Breeders Cup their track menu is really poor HRTV blows them away.

10. Almost everybody all over the net agrees that Michelle Yu is AWFUL. I can't see anyone playing her tickets but probably a few do. One would imagine her salary is at the bottom of their scale. Watch the difference the Christina Olivares and her do interviews. Christina holds the mike firmly and looks at the person being interviewed straight in the eye. Yu looks at them, smiles, and almost always moves her head up and down acting like she's giving approval to whatever their saying. She could never get a job in television media save the one she has now.

Off my soapbox.

toussaud
10-15-2011, 09:34 AM
1. On the plus side TVG pays to be broadcast into your home. HRTV refuses to do the same stating it would be far too costly. For all the knocking including me thats a very important fact.
'
To another suggestion by the board, Daruty said paying for distribution on cable systems "is not sustainable for the long range."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...ws-board-actionI had HRTV in my last apartment via Comcast cable. So your statement is pretty what is the word I'm looking for, it's misleading. You make it sound like HrTV will never be on cable networks and that's not what they are talking about. There are alot of networks across the country that has HRTV.

3. HRTV is shooting themselves in the foot asking for almost $100 a year to watch their internet feed. If it was $25 I would sign up even though I can watch the video feeds from tracks through my ADW.

Okay, let's do the math. The sports package for your cable network is what, an additional 5 dollars a month. Okay. Most people who get teh sports package, buy the sports pakcage for one sport. I bought it for horse racing at my last apartment. that's $60 dollars a year to watch Horse racing.

But you said you would be willing to pay $25 dollars to watch it, even though your own cable network charges you 2x that? isn't that a tad bit unrealistic?

you will pay 8 dollars for one DRF, or 25 dollars for one thoroughgraph, but yet, 9 dollars a month to watch unlimited racing all month is too much to ask? that doesn't make any sense.

10. Almost everybody all over the net agrees that Michelle Yu is AWFUL. I can't see anyone playing her tickets but probably a few do. One would imagine her salary is at the bottom of their scale. Watch the difference the Christina Olivares and her do interviews. Christina holds the mike firmly and looks at the person being interviewed straight in the eye. Yu looks at them, smiles, and almost always moves her head up and down acting like she's giving approval to whatever their saying. She could never get a job in television media save the one she has now. I don't think she is AWFUL per say but I think she is a tad bit out of her element. She is a perfect host IMHO for the night time tracks where it's not as busy and she can answer emails in the down time talking to fans. She should not be at del mar and crap offering selections like she is a real analyst IMHO.

Tom
10-15-2011, 10:20 AM
There is a role for her on TVG - coffee, emails, telephones....anything that keeps her away from a microphone.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I had HRTV in my last apartment via Comcast cable. So your statement is pretty what is the word I'm looking for, it's misleading. You make it sound like HrTV will never be on cable networks and that's not what they are talking about. There are alot of networks across the country that has HRTV.

Okay, let's do the math. The sports package for your cable network is what, an additional 5 dollars a month. Okay. Most people who get teh sports package, buy the sports pakcage for one sport. I bought it for horse racing at my last apartment. that's $60 dollars a year to watch Horse racing.

But you said you would be willing to pay $25 dollars to watch it, even though your own cable network charges you 2x that? isn't that a tad bit unrealistic?

you will pay 8 dollars for one DRF, or 25 dollars for one thoroughgraph, but yet, 9 dollars a month to watch unlimited racing all month is too much to ask? that doesn't make any sense.

I don't think she is AWFUL per say but I think she is a tad bit out of her element. She is a perfect host IMHO for the night time tracks where it's not as busy and she can answer emails in the down time talking to fans. She should not be at del mar and crap offering selections like she is a real analyst IMHO.

How can it be misleading when I am using a person associated with HRTV quote? They get on certain cable systems because they don't have to pay. Verizon Fios carries HRTV here I'm not switching anytime soon.

Here's my sports package you tell me if I use it for one sport. If it was just TVG I would probably cancel.

http://www.optimum.com/digital-cable-tv/sports/sports-pak.jsp

Your comparing apple and oranges with the financial part. My cable company has nothing to do with it. They want to charge me $100 for a internet feed yet they refuse to pay for signal distribution that is ABSURD!!! Twenty five dollars is a discretionary purchase not $100. If you bought a headset for $25 and it broke the odds are you wouldn't ship it back for another one. You would be astonished at the percentage of people who buy a rebate item and mail it in. Does ESPN charge me for a web feed of their shows?

The racing isn't unlimited they don't show night tracks unless Santa Anita is running.

I'm sticking to my guns she is an awful host. Anyone who giggles and says "I picked a winner" should be dismissed immediately. Yu is so inept she didn't know that she was on the air when it was said.

usedtolovetvg
10-15-2011, 10:45 AM
the only thing that TVG/Betfair cares about is exchange wagering. they are just biding time until that deal goes through. in the meantime, stephen burn lets tony allevato and his band of weary men do whatever they want, which is largely gambling and generally make fools of themselves. when they let gary seibel go, they played their hand as to the importance of any semblance of professionalism. rumors are if they get the exchange wagering deal they will become a purely internet business. if they don't get it through, they'll just pack up and leave. either way, no more tvg.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 10:48 AM
the only thing that TVG/Betfair cares about is exchange wagering. they are just biding time until that deal goes through. in the meantime, stephen burn lets tony allevato and his band of weary men do whatever they want, which is largely gambling and generally make fools of themselves. when they let gary seibel go, they played their hand as to the importance of any semblance of professionalism. rumors are if they get the exchange wagering deal they will become a purely internet business. if they don't get it through, they'll just pack up and leave. either way, no more tvg.

I find everything you said believable but why would they go out and hire Tom Cassidy. Why wouldn't they just make their so called "talent" work longer hours?

usedtolovetvg
10-15-2011, 11:09 AM
they may have stretched their resources to the limit after the last round of layoffs. most are double shifting already and they have had to hire freelancers just to keep the shows on the air. all that is being done now is to keep the industry on board. if eb goes through they will look at it as marketing money well spent. they would probably need some top, well-respected cappers if the exchange goes through to front the new operation, hence, tc. i would think there could be more. with all the desertions of betfair's top execs over in hammersmith and down under, i wonder just how many corporate pals and supporters stephen burn has left. either way tvg's days, as we know it, may be numbered.

Marshall Bennett
10-15-2011, 12:40 PM
6. I still don't understand how a producer can think eating on a tv set is funny.
Sometimes they throw their food as well. As for Michelle Yu, you're right, she's horrible. Seldom serious about anything, giggles constantly, and her mind wonders. Her & Nancy Ury are TVG's female version of Laurel & Hardy.

toussaud
10-15-2011, 12:42 PM
nancy works for westpoint thoroughbreds now if i am not mistaken.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Sometimes they throw their food as well. As for Michelle Yu, you're right, she's horrible. Seldom serious about anything, giggles constantly, and her mind wonders. Her & Nancy Ury are TVG's female version of Laurel & Hardy.

I think Laurel and Hardy would take MAJOR offense to that comparison.

Tom
10-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Michelle U tonight:
"You never want to take money out of your account. You just want put more money into it. That is how we get things going."

That's called losing, bimbo!

castaway01
10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Michelle U tonight:
"You never want to take money out of your account. You just want put more money into it. That is how we get things going."

That's called losing, bimbo!

I think you're wanted on the Turfbar thread.

toussaud
10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
that is a pretty bimboesque statement. sorry it is. sometimes you gotta call a duck a duck

castaway01
10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
that is a pretty bimboesque statement. sorry it is. sometimes you gotta call a duck a duck

Well, yeah, she's there for her looks, but I thought we were sticking to one women-bashing thread. Just trying to be helpful.

toussaud
10-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I mean she is really good at her role as the paddock girl. she has that down pact.

It's everything else that just makes you shake her head. IN a way I blame TVG for taking her out of her element.

duncan04
10-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Ugh I usually enjoy watching the Quarters but tonight they have Michelle Yu hosting! :ThmbDown: Want to mute it but don't want to miss Les

toussaud
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
i like the quarters as well. actually IMHO their best show they put on.

duncan04
10-15-2011, 11:29 PM
i like the quarters as well. actually IMHO their best show they put on.

Yeah I agree. my guess is Dave Weaver is hosting the racing from Japan tonight?

porchy44
10-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I dont know how you can "cancel TVG". It is just included in the basic Dish Network package. I was wondering how else is it offered?

njcurveball
10-16-2011, 12:46 AM
I dont know how you can "cancel TVG". It is just included in the basic Dish Network package. I was wondering how else is it offered?

I canceled the Digital Preferred tier on Comcast. The only reason I got that channel was TVG.

Marshall Bennett
10-16-2011, 04:21 AM
Well, yeah, she's there for her looks
After we look at her, then what?

Canarsie
10-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, yeah, she's there for her looks, but I thought we were sticking to one women-bashing thread. Just trying to be helpful.

I'm not into bashing anyone unless he or she deserves it. Mike and I disagree on whether Chrisitna Olivares is going places and that's how it should be. There is nothing wrong about having a discussion of ones talents. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I happen to like Richard Grunder and I am in the extreme minority here. Its my opinion and I stand by it not going to change it to become popular.

I have one major rule before I get into a debate or discussion. Do I have facts to back it up? If I don't then (you can go back and read my posts) I will almost always state that.

In closing it doesn't matter if it's male or female bad television is bad television plain and simple. If I was channel surfing and heard Greg Wolf's voice the remote kept on moving to something that would be far more enjoyable. He's even worse than her if that's humanly possible.

Tom
10-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Re-fund your account.

Marshall Bennett
10-16-2011, 09:31 AM
If I was channel surfing and heard Greg Wolf's voice the remote kept on moving to something that would be far more enjoyable. He's even worse than her if that's humanly possible.
Greg's TVG's best host. He's good at keeping most of the analyst that sit with him awake. Where most lose it with Greg is when he attempts anything else. He's a horrible handicapper, he's not very funny, and he's not worth a damn filling in on Blinkers Off or 58 Flat. He's like a quarterback trying to play defensive tackle when he substitutes. Whatever he does imo, he can't be worse than Yu, unless of course once again, you're tuning in for "looks" only. :cool:

Canarsie
10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Greg's TVG's best host. He's good at keeping most of the analyst that sit with him awake. Where most lose it with Greg is when he attempts anything else. He's a horrible handicapper, he's not very funny, and he's not worth a damn filling in on Blinkers Off or 58 Flat. He's like a quarterback trying to play defensive tackle when he substitutes. Whatever he does imo, he can't be worse than Yu, unless of course once again, you're tuning in for "looks" only. :cool:

We agree to disagree even though you made a pretty good case for my original post. I forgot the worst part is that after a bomber comes in he would say something like this "we talked about this horse". DUH!!! You are supposed to talk about every horse.

Like I've stated before you are entitled to your opinion. Just because I don't like him there is no reason that you shouldn't dissent over my analysis of his so called "talents".

Lets skip the last sentence a thread was just closed over something along those lines. :eek:

castaway01
10-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Well, if you're getting your wagers from TVG, then all I can express is my sympathies. I would like to book your bets though, so feel free to contact me.

castaway01
10-16-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not into bashing anyone unless he or she deserves it. Mike and I disagree on whether Chrisitna Olivares is going places and that's how it should be. There is nothing wrong about having a discussion of ones talents. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I happen to like Richard Grunder and I am in the extreme minority here. Its my opinion and I stand by it not going to change it to become popular.

I have one major rule before I get into a debate or discussion. Do I have facts to back it up? If I don't then (you can go back and read my posts) I will almost always state that.

In closing it doesn't matter if it's male or female bad television is bad television plain and simple. If I was channel surfing and heard Greg Wolf's voice the remote kept on moving to something that would be far more enjoyable. He's even worse than her if that's humanly possible.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, about who is a good or bad commentator. I just think the recent threads are more "Oh no, they let the female talk! Oh noes!" In the past couple days from Tom, Turfbar, etc. it has been "they should be in the kitchen, making coffee, blah blah". Genius statements like that. For me, I would just as soon someone attractive say "The 7th at Charles Town is at 6 furlongs with a purse of $15,000", but obviously a bunch of people are getting picks from TVG and expect Michelle Yu to hand them out. Sure, it would be nice if TVG had someone the quality of Andy Serling to hand out analysis for every track but that's unrealistic and that's why I bristle when people expect miracles from a TV network showing races.

Tom
10-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Castaway, my comment was not that she was a female - I have no issue with females in any capacity. It was with a stupid comment. You, too,are entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it is. Sad you have resort to outright lying to make your point.

Had Todd said it and I called him a Jackass, would be be saying I was against MEN on TV?

BlueShoe
10-16-2011, 03:19 PM
I think Laurel and Hardy would take MAJOR offense to that comparison.
Christina, Michelle, and Nancy = Larry, Curly, and Moe a better fit? ;) :)

Canarsie
10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Christina, Michelle, and Nancy = Larry, Curly, and Moe a better fit? ;) :)

I like Christina (my opinion) but that trio is a much better description. I would hope Christiana is at least Moe the brains of the operation.

In all seriousness watch how she conducts an interview compared to anyone else on TVG. She has a journalism degree I don't think she was twiddling her thumbs at school.

Marshall Bennett
10-17-2011, 10:37 AM
HRTV has TVG beat solidly when it comes to females in the studio. TVG only wishes it had a Carolyn Connley or Joanne Jones at the desk. Christina is good with interviews, but even she has trouble hosting. The other two (Michelle & Nancy) are disgraceful and should be fired for acting like teenaged clowns, regardless of their "looks".

Fingal
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Unfortunately I'll have to stat watching TVG again on Nov 10 when Hollywood starts.

Fortunately they cease to exist the day after Christmas when Santa Anita & HRTV return.

Canarsie
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
HRTV has TVG beat solidly when it comes to females in the studio. TVG only wishes it had a Carolyn Connley or Joanne Jones at the desk. Christina is good with interviews, but even she has trouble hosting. The other two (Michelle & Nancy) are disgraceful and should be fired for acting like teenaged clowns, regardless of their "looks".

Maybe I'm just nutty but I never look watch because a female is on but will turn it off because of incompetence. When Donna Barton Brothers is on a horse doing an interview I never say to my "there's a smart female" I almost always say "she's a good listen I'm getting something out of this".

I think lots of people (Christina included) have some sort of trouble hosting a TVG show. The format isn't conducive to acting professional and not like a "shill". The only thing I can say in their defense is that their production costs have to be ten times that of HRTV. It's the "albatross hanging around their neck".

Now kill me but I have always said Ken Rudolph was the best host and that if TVG went down he would be the first one to land a job. Guess I'm sort of a prophet on that one. At least to me nobody moved a show better the only lunacy was him picking a bomber every race.

If I could have a beer with three TVG employees (females excluded) it would be Rich Perloff, Frank Mirahmadi, and Ken Rudolph. I grew up in a wild and crazy place in Brooklyn and believe it or not Ken would have fit right in.

dinque
10-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe I'm just nutty but I never look watch because a female is on but will turn it off because of incompetence. When Donna Barton Brothers is on a horse doing an interview I never say to my "there's a smart female" I almost always say "she's a good listen I'm getting something out of this".

I think lots of people (Christina included) have some sort of trouble hosting a TVG show. The format isn't conducive to acting professional and not like a "shill". The only thing I can say in their defense is that their production costs have to be ten times that of HRTV. It's the "albatross hanging around their neck".

Now kill me but I have always said Ken Rudolph was the best host and that if TVG went down he would be the first one to land a job. Guess I'm sort of a prophet on that one. At least to me nobody moved a show better the only lunacy was him picking a bomber every race.

If I could have a beer with three TVG employees (females excluded) it would be Rich Perloff, Frank Mirahmadi, and Ken Rudolph. I grew up in a wild and crazy place in Brooklyn and believe it or not Ken would have fit right in.

perloff, mirahmadi and vic stauffer and to a lessor degree matt carrothers are the only ones who can push me onto a play... i like ken but giacomo ruined him for about two years...hate greg and todd...greg because he never listens to the answers to his quetions and todd because he is a root against.....

toussaud
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Ken was never there to make you wager on anything. He's a TV show host, his job was to move the show along smoothy not give you wagers. No different than Lafit on HRTV

cj
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I wonder if Kelly Breen minds the guy on today referring to him as a woman. I don't comment much on these TVG threads, but shouldn't he at least know the sex of a pretty well known trainer on the national scene?

Canarsie
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
I wonder if Kelly Breen minds the guy on today referring to him as a woman. I don't comment much on these TVG threads, but shouldn't he at least know the sex of a pretty well known trainer on the national scene?

Ouch!!! If I said something like that it would be time to wear a bag over my head like the old saints fans did.

wisconsin
10-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Ouch!!! If I said something like that it would be time to wear a bag over my head like the old saints fans did.

'cept the guy in the pic is a Bear fan.......

Wickel
10-28-2011, 07:36 PM
For me, Rudulph and Carrothers were the absolute worst. Now it's only Mattie. I realize many of you took a liking to Rudulph, but he was never serious. I didn't pay attention to his handicapping, but at times he showed flashed of brilliance as a host, only to ruin it with what I like to call a "Jerry Lewis" episode. Hope he's doing well in Sacramento. I can pretty much handle the rest of the crew. Frank Mirahmadi, Simon Bray, Frank Lyons and Mike Joyce are the best handicappers and on-air talent. If he could improve his 'capping, I'd stick Weaver in there, too. Christina O knows her horse racing. She's a great roving reporter, but not so much as a host. The glare of the studio lights seem to affect her; she has a monotone delivery, sort of like a robot. Not so when she's out in the field. And finally, "The Quarters" with Joyce, Weaver and Onaka is the best show on the network--by far!!

mannyberrios
10-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Can't live without racing, so I guess I won't be canceling TVG or HRTV

fmolf
10-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Can't live without racing, so I guess I won't be canceling TVG or HRTV
i have both networks and find that tvg is a bit sophmoric.Maybe this is attracting new customers to the game,although i doubt it.Hrtv's hosts and analysts conduct themselves much more professionally.Jeff Siegel is a treat to listen to,as is Sean McCarthy from the trainer/owners perspective and Joanna Jones and Susan Conley are more handicapper oriented.....With that said kudos to Rich Perloff the only host that actually tries to exchange handicapping ideas with the slovenly clientelle that is us!I also like to listen to Frank mihramadi a knowledgeable horseplayer who is not conceited like most others on tvg(Matt,Frank L.,Todd,Greg,Simon,Nick H. Paul L. etc..etc...)I also love to listen to Tom Amoss and Ron Ellis. Dave Weaver and Matt Joyce for being able to laugh at themselves while still delivering quality information. With all that said most ofthe time the sound is off till the race has begun! :D

toussaud
10-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Susan Conley http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu90/vanessa68_2009/Macros%20and%20gifs/shakehead.gif