PDA

View Full Version : Android tablet

plainolebill
10-14-2011, 12:40 AM
I saw this: La Pan Tablet (http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318566924&sr=8-1). I don't think I need it but also think it would be a lot of fun for the money. Anyone have an opinion about the features? The reviews are good and it will run Kindle, has GPS, android 2.2.

redshift1
10-14-2011, 04:00 AM
I saw this: La Pan Tablet (http://www.amazon.com/Pan-TC-970-9-7-Inch-Multi-Touch/dp/B004PGMFG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318566924&sr=8-1). I don't think I need it but also think it would be a lot of fun for the money. Anyone have an opinion about the features? The reviews are good and it will run Kindle, has GPS, android 2.2.

25 Ounces for the pan, 9.7 inch screen. $260.00

14 ounces for the Kindle Fire 7 inch screen. $199.00

Personally I would go with the upcoming Kindle Fire. For me weight is the issue 1.6 lbs is cumbersome unless Its propped up.

It may work out fine but my guess you're rolling the dice with an off brand device. I'm using a Motorola tablet with Android It works reasonably well but
the weight is a drawback.

JustRalph
10-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Kindle fire orders now getting estimated delivery dates in January

I find it hard to believe, but that's what I heard on the radio

Canarsie
10-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Kindle fire orders now getting estimated delivery dates in January

I find it hard to believe, but that's what I heard on the radio

Regretfully it might be even longer this company has a bad reputation for patent lawsuits.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20118548-38/amazons-kindle-fire-tablet-hit-by-patent-lawsuit/

redshift1
10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Regretfully it might be even longer this company has a bad reputation for patent lawsuits.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20118548-38/amazons-kindle-fire-tablet-hit-by-patent-lawsuit/

Article more about patent trolls, Acacia famous for obtaining patents while not actually developing the technology in question. Lawyers letting others do the work then trying to squeeze up to the technology trough. Guess who ultimately pays for the litigation ...

plainolebill
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I might buy the tablet anyhow. The larger screen would be much better for me, my eyes at age 69, aren't as sharp as they used to be.

redshift1
10-15-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking I might buy the tablet anyhow. The larger screen would be much better for me, my eyes at age 69, aren't as sharp as they used to be.

That's a good reason for the larger screen, by the way if it dosen't work out Amazon has a buy back program for used electronics which they pay in Amazon
gift cards.

You might try Audible.com (if you haven't already) they have a Android App and offer a free months trial for audiobooks for all mobile devices.

fast4522
10-26-2011, 09:40 PM
ASUS Transformer (2) Prime is the one I am looking forward to seeing in the stores at Christmas time.

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-transformer-2-prime-is-the-tablet-the-world-has-been-waiting-for-video-28283/

Track Collector
10-30-2011, 05:40 PM
ASUS Transformer (2) Prime is the one I am looking forward to seeing in the stores at Christmas time.

http://www.androidauthority.com/asus-transformer-2-prime-is-the-tablet-the-world-has-been-waiting-for-video-28283/

A question from a complete novice on this subject.

I carry my Lenovo T500 laptop with me almost everywhere I go.

Things I currently do with my laptop:
(a) Run my handicapping software. One family of programs is run under a DOS window, while the other one is JCapper.
(b) Download various horseracing data files.
(c) Receive e-mail and maintain calendar schedule (in MS Outlook).
(d) Perform various spreadsheet analysis (in MS Excel).
(e) Place wagers with ADW via the Internet
(f) General web surfing (to read sports articles, etc.)

Will a device such as this allow me to do ALL of the above?

Thanks for any help!

JustRalph
10-30-2011, 07:17 PM
A question from a complete novice on this subject.

I carry my Lenovo T500 laptop with me almost everywhere I go.

(a) Run my handicapping software. One family of programs is run under a DOS window, while the other one is JCapper.

Thanks for any help!

Only if it's running windows..........

njcurveball
10-30-2011, 09:48 PM

a.) Depends on the software. Some work with Android, but they need to have an Android version. Similar to running Apple programs. you need an Apple version.
b.) Java should work on Android, you could download, but if a.) does not work, no help.
c.) MS outlook is not supported on Android.
d.) MS Excel is not supported on Android.
e.) If the website does not have any special bells or whistles you should be able to wager. Most just need Flash or Java.
f.) Most definitely.

Remember, Android is Google, Ipad is Apple, and both of those companies have no interest in working with Microsoft.

Jim

Canarsie
10-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Remember, Android is Google, Ipad is Apple, and both of those companies have no interest in working with Microsoft.

Jim

Or with each other.

fast4522
11-05-2011, 10:15 AM
When the Apple Ipad came out I wanted one, then backed off when I found out the programs were dummed down versions. I ended up getting a 8 gig Ipod that I can grab Bris race files from hot spots without the need of toting the laptop around. Then then tablets with displays 1280 by 800 (16x9) hit the market and my interest peaked again but minus a spreadsheet that had tab/sheet linking and macros my jets cooled again. My thoughts are now quad core tablets are on the way and my logic to hold off was correct at the time. Today there is aDOSBOX and full size usb ports in the works. Mind you that I am not a Bluetooth savvy guy yet, but the thought is if one went to Saratoga next year if one guy with full blown programs was sitting at the table with a laptop he could share with others at the table with Bluetooth. Also the quad core tablets will spark better interest in the development of more powerful spreadsheets soon. The ASUS Transformer with gorilla glass & full SD slot plus full usb has me in mood again in time for Christmas.

fast4522
12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
With a USB switch you can share a memory stick between a laptop and a tablet.
If you have good PDF output of the software that you are using, getting it into the tablet can be fast with a USB switch. My first attempt to be useful with a USB switch will be at Mohegan Sun sports book with a tablet and a laptop porting PDF's to the memory stick at the switch.