PDA

View Full Version : Hottest chile pepper in the world

DJofSD
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-india-chili-20111013,0,7468866.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MostEmailed+%28L.A.+Times+-+Most+E-mailed+Stories%29

The ghost chile in northeast India emerged from relative obscurity after the Chile Pepper Institute, at New Mexico State University, grew dozens of plants, used liquid chromatography to assess the capsaicinoids, or heat, molecules and submitted its findings to Guinness World Records in 2006, which certified it as the world's hottest.

The ghost chile clocks in at 1.1 million on the Scoville heat unit scale, a measure of spiciness, compared with the jalapeno's mere 5,000.

In March, a new chile was rated by Guinness as the world's hottest, the Trinidad Scorpion "Butch T" out of Australia, at 1.4 million SHUs. That's about 40% hotter than ghost chiles. Though not yet produced commercially, it's already sparking trouble in chile-land, with suggestions of trickery and sleight of hand.

PhantomOnTour
10-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Homer Simpson went to the Springfield Fair and ate the real hottest pepper on Earth...The Merciless Pepper of Mizhuxluatalmxlplatacan.
It made him hallucinate...Google it.
One of the best Simpsons episodes ever :ThmbUp:

Let's Roll
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I enjoy eating hot peppers and using them in cooking. Habanero is the hottest I will use for home cooked meals. I made the mistake of trying to roast them on the open flame of the stovetop, I had to evacuate the house !!
I see no sense in eating a pepper 200 times hotter than anything I comfortably eat now, especially if I need goggles and gloves to handle them, I can't imagine what damage they do to your digestive system !

rastajenk
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Really. I got enough problems already without opting for something like that. :ThmbDown:

:)

ldiatone
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
sooo one day i take "daves Insanity sauce" and mix a few drops into a bowl of chili.... not too bad-spicy hot-but not to hot. use the same sauce on a wing and take a bite which catches my upper lip :eek:. i must of downed i downed several glasses of ice water till the heat subsided!.
when i make chili now i don't use as many hot peppers but use the regular spices but add more black pepper which gives it some heat.
and lets not forget the banana pepper stuffed, then baked w/ tomato sauce and provolone cheese :) :cool:
ps another neat heat is curry

Actor
10-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry that I can't provide a link but I have heard that some pepper or other is the basic component of some brand of paint stripper. Probably just an urban legend. :lol: