PDA

View Full Version : Blind Luck for Sale

redshift1
10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Keeneland sale in November, Broodmare/Racehorse how much ?

5-7 million ? I have no idea.

toussaud
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
seriously?

redshift1
10-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Stardom Bound 5.7 mil

nijinski
10-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Not the first time the Dorf et al sold a fine mare when she lost step.
surprise , surprise .

They got over Three Million for Hystericalady.

toussaud
10-11-2011, 09:26 PM
so she's done?

nijinski
10-11-2011, 09:38 PM
so she's done?

Not enough details yet , more to come I guess when they get an offer .
Let's all chip in and buy her.

OntheRail
10-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Not enough details yet , more to come I guess when they get an offer .
Let's all chip in and buy her.
I agree... then breed her to Big Brown. And have a shot at the 3K in 17.

nijinski
10-12-2011, 01:17 AM
I agree... then breed her to Big Brown. And have a shot at the 3K in 17.

I'm thinking she may not reach what they got for Hystericalady , who was by Distorted Humor . But BL did beat Grace so who knows.

toussaud
10-12-2011, 01:33 AM
by pollard's vision, she hasn't done anything too spectacular like beat males or anything (not saying being the champion 3YO isn't spectacular but you get what i am saying, she isn't Rachel or Z), and she cost 10k as a yearling, from a pretty avg female family, and she isn't the best looking horse in the world.

I'd say between 1 and 1.5 million.

nijinski
10-12-2011, 02:38 AM
by pollard's vision, she hasn't done anything too spectacular like beat males or anything (not saying being the champion 3YO isn't spectacular but you get what i am saying, she isn't Rachel or Z), and she cost 10k as a yearling, from a pretty avg female family, and she isn't the best looking horse in the world.

That could be and hopefully the Sheiks will have interest in her.

depalma113
10-12-2011, 06:50 AM

No way she goes that low. I would guess her reserve is around $3 million.

Linny
10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
She doesn't have pedigree and breeders want pedigree in a broodie prospect. Very few mares outbreed their own pedigree, no matter how well they ran. She's small and plain and I'd say $1m tops.

They don't want to keep her so why put a terribly high reserve on her. Right now she's still a very valuable asset. Why allow her to lose value? Sell at the top, right?

strapper
10-12-2011, 12:49 PM
She was a wonderful mare with her 6 Grade I's I believe, but pedigree-wise, not the height of fashion, so I would temper the bid at <$5 million. I guess they are offering her as an either/or race or breeding prospect?

GARY Z
10-12-2011, 12:56 PM
in effect, these owners have placed this superstar in a claimer, looking to
cash out with no assurance Blind Luck is sound and no way of predicting
she can be a broodmare prospect.

21 starts, 12 wins 7 places 2 shows for total earnings of 3,279,520.

Why not retire her for all the $$$ she placed in your #@$% pockets and let her enjoy the the rest of her life, possibly as YOUR broodmare

hopefully what comes around goes around :mad:

Hanover1
10-12-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm with Linny on this one. My top bid-1.4m

onefast99
10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
in effect, these owners have placed this superstar in a claimer, looking to
cash out with no assurance Blind Luck is sound and no way of predicting
she can be a broodmare prospect.

21 starts, 12 wins 7 places 2 shows for total earnings of 3,279,520.

Why not retire her for all the $$$ she placed in your #@$% pockets and let her enjoy the the rest of her life, possibly as YOUR broodmare

hopefully what comes around goes around :mad:
How do you know they aren't just testing the waters and unless they can cash in a huge ticket they will keep her as a broodmare.

redshift1
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
As many permutations as a 2k claiming race.

matthewsiv
10-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Toussauds about right $1,000,000 to $1,400,000.

Pedigree not good enough to attract more.

How many runners become good broodmares?

Less than more in my opinion.

Linny
10-12-2011, 04:15 PM
Obviously she was an exceptional racehorse, but most horses that outrun their pedigree don't breed on. They sire or produce horses in line with their breeding, not their talent.

Buyers at auction know the risks of buying whether for racing or breeding. The fact is that the odds are that she's able to be a broodmare (meaning she can get in foal and carry to term) but that doesn't mean she'll be a good one. That however stands true for any filly purchased as a broodmare prospect.

GARYZ, the owners of Blind Luck are not breeders. They want to RACE, not breed. Like many others, they sell their horses at the end of their careers or when their (potentially depreciating) asset is worth as much as possible. Not everyone who races horses wants the risks, time commitment (in terms of waiting) or heartbreaks involved in breeding. They sell horses like BL so they can buy more racehorses.

People, it's not like the mare is going to some Amish auction! It's the Nov. Bloodstock Sale and we are talking about prices in the 7 figure range!
Why the wrath, all over cyberspace over this filly bein sold? Were Ashado's owners pilloried or Stardom Bound's? What about the winner of the Prix Marcel Boussac, Elusive Kate? She's consigned too. This is how racing owners connect with breeders who want to buy breeding stock. I went back and looked at 2009 - a year selected at random - and noted that the following mares were sold, not in foal, several of them were fresh from the track. Golden Doc A, Callwood Dancer, Jardin, Evita Argentina. None was the level of BL, but Ashado was when she brought a record bid.

NY BRED
10-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Gentlemen;

At the end of the day, if these owners felt BL was sound she'd be racing,
as they want to run/race.

Therefore, the last penny they can squeeze from this
money tree is selling BL as a Broodmare.
If she doesn't command a "reasonable" price, what then, and therefore
why go through this process?

I'm sure you are familiar with the Exceller story, and while not
trying to be dramatic, If a horse placed 3,000,000 (net) in my
pocket, I'd simply keep her as a broodmare or retire her and
pay her for bringing me joy and $$.

Linny
10-13-2011, 04:45 PM
The intent with this filly was ALWAYS to sell her at the end of her race career. The owners are NOT breeders! They sold Hystericallady who was a far better broodie prospect, based on conformation and pedigree. They don't want to get into the breeding business.

Should every owner of a retiring racehorse be required to retain it for life? What are these guys suppoesed to do, put her in the yard and kiss her nose each morning? She's a valuable but depreciating asset, they are business partnership that would no doubt like to go out and buy more racehorses. They bought her for $11k. They made (collectively) $3m. I'd guess that anything they get is gravy and won't be turned down. OTOH, if they do place a high reserve and she bombs next year they have lost more value and will have an extra year invested (how much do you think it costs to insure her???) and will get a far lower price next fall. In addition, some breeder will have lost a productive year out of a potentially (though not in my opinion,) broodmare.

The mare is going to an auction populated by the leading breeders on Earth. I doubt that she'll be picked up by some Amish guy looking for a cart horse. Yes, Exceller and Ferdinand ended up in bad places but how does that relate to these folks selling BL? Thousands of horses sell at auctions every year and most go on and have happy lives. You know about Exceller and Ferdinand because they were exceptions to the rule. No one writes stories about horses that live happily every after.
Are the other owners of G1 mares being retired and sold next month also committing some heinous act of abandonment or just this partnership?

igiveupregistering
10-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Toussauds about right $1,000,000 to $1,400,000.

Pedigree not good enough to attract more.

How many runners become good broodmares?

Less than more in my opinion.

My guess on BL's sale price... 750k-1M. No more. Maybe less.

nijinski
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Linny I enjoy your posts as you seem to have a good knowledge of the industry in general. I also understand some of the concerned responses though.
An example of a very nice mare who went across the ocean and has pretty much vanished over time was Davona Dale. A friend and I went on a search for her a few years back because the Jockey Club did not list a date of death.
You can try it yourself and you just can't find out where she ended up in her final days or a burial place. Likely due to lack of breeding success.
The Press , DRF , Haskins , Veitch were all contacted , that's along with Ashford , Coolmore USA and Ireland A very disappointing search with two differing years that she may have died . It happens . There are not many owners like Firestones around to keep their barren mare in their backyard.

Some fans and rescues are pretty involved in watching policies at the tracks for all runners no matter the value. But still anything is possible , we just all hope for the best for Blind Luck in the end. All we know was that she was a late entry into the sale after a bad race.

forced89
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
My guess on BL's sale price... 750k-1M. No more. Maybe less.

I agree. $750K - $1M, maybe less. I just can't believe she is racing sound, thus will sell 100% on her broodmare potential.

Linny
10-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm not unconcerned for horses' welfare but first, I doubt that BL will be of interest to overseas breeders because of her pure dirt pedigree and running style. Even in the US breeders are very close to the vest about mares. Unless they are very famous, you rarely read a death notice for any TB. In fact, most "end users" are small time owners or non racing folks who don't ever even think to record the death when it does occur. Because there is no record of death doesn't mean that the horse came to a horrible end. (My boy was put down this year and his passing was never recorded because his papers were destroyed and tatoo unreadable. Trust me, he has been mourned.)

I also think that they current mood of almost excess concern is not good for the industry. I know trainers who have been slandered online after selling sound horses to be re-homed. People who don't know the difference between re-homing for a new career and "rescue" make racing industry professionals' lives miserable sometimes.

Sadly just as most racehorses are not profitable, most bloodstock isn't either. If, at some point BL is in a bad place, I personally pledge to help her. That said, it's not fair to pillory people who are racing owners, like thousands of others, not breeders because they are planning on doing what hundreds of others do.

I will admit that I have seen some mares at auction that caused me concern. I have pitched in to bid on a couple of old mares who were barren for several years and suddenly on the market in their 20's. If I had the facilities or the money, I'd take old or failed broodies because I just like mares. A few years ago I had the honor of reschooling a 17yo Cozzene mare who had not managed to drop a winner from 10 foals and who was given away. She had not been ridden in 13 years and learned to jump! That said, at the moment, I just don't see BL as "at risk" because she, like many mares will be sold this November. There are 3919 hips at the sale and without looking, I'd guess that almost 1/2 are mares. I have not read the book, but there may be some "eyebrow raisers" in there, but Blind Luck won't be one of them.

nijinski
10-13-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm sure alot of owners do the right thing Linny and true some were probably
wrongfully slandered . That's a problem that needs to be dealt with , but at
the same time there has to be some responsibility with ownership , that's
an ongoing debate always.
I brought up Davona Dale since she was a three year old champion and a Hall
Of Fame inductee who was part of the Calumet"s history with no known records of her later days. Unfortunately she ended up in a very large operation. But hopefully someone kept her , no one really knows. That was my only point.

FenceBored
10-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Blind Luck's dam sold for $1.85 million to an overseas breeder at the 2010 Keeneland November sale.

Why should I believe that the multiple G1 winning, >$3m earning, 3 year old Filly Eclipse Champion daughter will bring so much less than the "winner at 3" ~$27k earning mother?

Robert Fischer
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Blind Luck's dam sold for $1.85 million to an overseas breeder at the 2010 Keeneland November sale.

Why should I believe that the multiple G1 winning, >$3m earning, 3 year old Filly Eclipse Champion daughter will bring so much less than the "winner at 3" ~$27k earning mother?

i don't know about "so much less" (than 1.85)

but it's easy to look at the breeding and make a case that her dam is worth more than her. You are getting the female family.

she was also sold In Foal to Pollard's Vision (full sibling to Blind Luck)

and is now in foal to Deep Impact

papillon
10-14-2011, 12:44 PM
i admit that i'm pretty worried about the fate of the iron filly, who turned out to be just flesh and blood after all.

if i won the lottery this weekend, i buy her myself and give her a nice retirement at old friends...consignment to the breeding shed/mill isn't such a picnic either...

to those making the argument that only few horse come to bad ends, none should come to bad ends--just as no dog or cat should come to a bad end, or people, or cows and pigs for that matter.

i have a great respect for people like temple grandin who argue (and work to ensure) that even animals who are bred for slaughter deserve to have humane ends and be treated humanely while they are alive. as she says, "nature is cruel, but we don't have to be."

an easy way to help ensure a safe retirement for horses who have little or no value after racing, would be to require a small percentage of all horse sales and race entry fees and race betting to be dedicated to a retirement fund for the ones most at risk for ending up like ferdinand. it's our moral obligation to look after those who provide us with so much pleasure, once they lose their economic value. and even if we can't save all of them, we should not try to minimize our responsibility to try to.

OntheRail
10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Wow out of the money once and it's over... :faint:

You know it's funny... well not really but we see so many "Well Bread" horses show little on the track. So many have said Blind Luck is not that shed worthy. I think otherwise... she has the kind of breeding that can lead to magic on the track thru her dams side. As far as her winning ways that is a trait that can be inherited... it's attitude and if they don't yank the foal and stick it with a nursemaid it can be imprinted to the next generation. When it come time for her 1st time starters I'll not run a black mark thru them based on BL being the dam. ;)

toussaud
10-14-2011, 03:40 PM
As many permutations as a 2k claiming race.
one of my fav posts of all time on this site was when someone "wrote" a claiming race at charles town for cigar.. this reminds me of that post

toussaud
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
2.5 million

nijinski
11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
2.5 million

Good for her , they are digging deep this year.

toussaud
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
some unreal prices so far this year

toussaud
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
she's retired

nijinski
11-07-2011, 05:52 PM
she's retired
Bought by one of the former owners in the partnership Mark DeDomenico .
Will be interested to see if he keeps her or sells her when she's in foal.

FenceBored
11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Now available on the Pace Advantage buffet, all you care to eat:

http://www.the5thcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Faux-Crow-Pie.jpg