PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained mysteries...

thaskalos
10-11-2011, 03:12 AM
It has become apparent to most of us that an earthly education and philosophy are not enough to explain everything we experience in life. Some of the things we encounter defy rational explanation.

In the words of the immortal Shakespeare..."There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy".

There are two of these "unexplained mysteries" that I would like to mention here...and I hope that you would contribute some of yours as well...

One I only found out about yesterday...while the other has been troubling me for many years.

Former Weezer bass player Mikey Welsh was found dead in a Chicago hotel room last Saturday, October the 8th...at the age of 40.

What made this a very unusual occurrence was the tweeter message that Welsh posted for his fans on September the 26th.

He wrote..."dreamt i died in chicago next weekend (heart attack in my sleep). need to write my will today.

The other occurrence involved my wife...and it happened about 15 years ago.

My wife, along with two of her girlfriends, went to see a fortune teller...to find out what the future held for them.

When she came back home, she told me that the fortune teller gave detailed accounts about health and family affairs to both her two friends, but, when the conversation turned to my wife...the fortune teller refused to utter a word.

She said NOTHING to my wife...about any aspect of her life...

I thought nothing of this until 2-3 years later...when my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer...which eventually claimed her life at the age of 37.

Overlay
10-11-2011, 03:51 AM
My condolences to you.

I believe that some people today may be given power to correctly predict future events, but I don't believe that that power comes from any divine (good) source. Scripture warned Israel against resorting to any form of divination to determine the future. Of course, prophets came to Israel repeatedly with predictions about future events, but that was by divine authorization/command (in the case of the Biblical prophets), and Israel was advised to test prophecies by seeing whether the predictions came true or not, with death being the prescribed penalty for false prophecy.

I can think of at least one Biblical instance (1 Samuel 28: 3-25) where a prediction came true -- when King Saul went to a medium to see what he should do, since God was not answering him by any of the "authorized" means for determining the divine will, and the medium called up a spirit identified as that of Samuel (the last of the Judges, who had died sometime before), who correctly indicated that Saul and his sons would be killed in battle the following day -- but many commentators regard the being that the medium called up to have been a demon, and not Samuel. However, I suppose (as Father Merrin said in The Exorcist, and as I alluded to above) that demons will lie to confuse, but they can also mix lies with the truth to attack.

sammy the sage
10-11-2011, 06:35 AM
see Edgar Cayce...

Elliott Sidewater
10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Thask, that is such a sad story; it was tough to read it. Of course the story of Shoe dreaming about misjudging the finish with Gallant Man and then doing it is legend. Something like this once happened to me with the first horse I ever owned, in the fall of 1982 I believe - I dreamt that the horse won a race at Keystone from the 11 post at odds of 7 to 1 and it happened about 2 months later. He paid $16.60 to win and I had everything, a win bet, exacta and trifecta. It was like a telegram had been sent directly to me from heaven, and I believed it to be a sign that I was meant to be involved in horse racing. Nothing like that ever happened again. I almost missed the race because my girlfriend got sick that afternoon but thankfully this story had a happy and quite unbelievable ending. On the occasional bad days where I think about giving it up, I remember that dream and that outcome and it brings me back. I had a dream........................

Overlay
10-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Thask, that is such a sad story; it was tough to read it. Of course the story of Shoe dreaming about misjudging the finish with Gallant Man and then doing it is legend. Something like this once happened to me with the first horse I ever owned, in the fall of 1982 I believe - I dreamt that the horse won a race at Keystone from the 11 post at odds of 7 to 1 and it happened about 2 months later. He paid $16.60 to win and I had everything, a win bet, exacta and trifecta. It was like a telegram had been sent directly to me from heaven, and I believed it to be a sign that I was meant to be involved in horse racing. Nothing like that ever happened again. I almost missed the race because my girlfriend got sick that afternoon but thankfully this story had a happy and quite unbelievable ending. On the occasional bad days where I think about giving it up, I remember that dream and that outcome and it brings me back. I had a dream........................

Congratulations! Not to make light of your anecdote, but it reminded me of a long shaggy-dog story that Franklin Roosevelt either actually told or had put in his mouth by the one-man show FDR (of which Robert Vaughn made a broadcast version). It related to how some people blamed FDR for everything bad that happened after he took office. A man had a dream, along with several other confirmatory coincidences/"signs", that five was his number for the day, so he bet the number 5 horse in race 5, and the horse came in fifth. And as the horses crossed the finish, the man threw his ticket down and hollered, "That damned Roosevelt!"

boxcar
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
My condolences to you.

I believe that some people today may be given power to correctly predict future events, but I don't believe that that power comes from any divine (good) source. Scripture warned Israel against resorting to any form of divination to determine the future. Of course, prophets came to Israel repeatedly with predictions about future events, but that was by divine authorization/command (in the case of the Biblical prophets), and Israel was advised to test prophecies by seeing whether the predictions came true or not, with death being the prescribed penalty for false prophecy.

I can think of at least one Biblical instance (1 Samuel 28: 3-25) where a prediction came true -- when King Saul went to a medium to see what he should do, since God was not answering him by any of the "authorized" means for determining the divine will, and the medium called up a spirit identified as that of Samuel (the last of the Judges, who had died sometime before), who correctly indicated that Saul and his sons would be killed in battle the following day -- but many commentators regard the being that the medium called up to have been a demon, and not Samuel. However, I suppose (as Father Merrin said in The Exorcist, and as I alluded to above) that demons will lie to confuse, but they can also mix lies with the truth to attack.

Good post, Overlay. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

GameTheory
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Thask, that is such a sad story; it was tough to read it. Of course the story of Shoe dreaming about misjudging the finish with Gallant Man and then doing it is legend. Something like this once happened to me with the first horse I ever owned, in the fall of 1982 I believe - I dreamt that the horse won a race at Keystone from the 11 post at odds of 7 to 1 and it happened about 2 months later. He paid $16.60 to win and I had everything, a win bet, exacta and trifecta. It was like a telegram had been sent directly to me from heaven, and I believed it to be a sign that I was meant to be involved in horse racing. Nothing like that ever happened again. I almost missed the race because my girlfriend got sick that afternoon but thankfully this story had a happy and quite unbelievable ending. On the occasional bad days where I think about giving it up, I remember that dream and that outcome and it brings me back. I had a dream........................A guy at the track told me a similar story about a dream he had about a winning horse, and I said something like, "Yeah, I wish that would happen to me" and he was horrified and said, "NO! I didn't bet it!" He felt that it was not a message from heaven, but a temptation from hell or some demon and he wouldn't touch it.

bigmack
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
'Bout a month ago I ran some errands. Went to Fry's, bank & Ralph's. When I came out there was a banana peel under my car right at the drivers door. THERE WAS ONE AT ALL THREE DISPARATE PARKING PLACES. :eek:

Now when I park, I look for a peel before I go in.

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/4658-ever_slipped_banana_peel.jpg

Greyfox
10-12-2011, 01:05 AM
A man had a dream.
In the dream, he was told to take the #5 bus to the track, get off 5 blocks early, go to the fifth teller, and 5 minutes before race time for Race 5, bet $500 on #5 to win.
He did. The horse ran fifth.

Tom
10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
I once had a dream that the last race was won a long shot. I coldn't get the name of the winner, but I kept seeing "baloney, ham, salami" over and over again. I went to the track and in the last race,a three horse entry was Baloney, Ham, and Salami! The ML was 20-1.
I bet everything I had on it.

Lost the bet.
The winner was named Cold Cuts.

cj's dad
10-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Years ago I coudn't find my wedding ring which although my wife was no longer alive, I wore on special occasions. One night, in a dream, she told me to look behind the floor length draperies in the bedroom. I woke up, turned on the lamp, pulled the drapes aside and there it was. I have no idea how it got there and would never have looked there. May have found it when I cleaned, but that could have been months away. :eek: