PDA

View Full Version : De Francis slots stake is a focus of debate

takeout
11-28-2003, 04:29 PM
http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-md.defrancis27nov27,0,1356866.story?coll=bal-local-headlines

cj
11-28-2003, 09:57 PM
These guys kill me! Slots at all Maryland racetracks!? Have any of these guys actually been to RoseCroft or Pimlico in the last century? Noone of sound mind with any money would go to these places. Laurel isn't so bad, Delmarva OK, but imagine hitting a big jackpot at Old Hilltop or worse yet Oxen Hill, after dark. I'd fear for my life leaving these places with money in my pocket. I'm no back woods hick who hasn't been around the block. I grew up in a not very nice place in Baltimore city, not some middle class suburb. Probably precisely why I would know better than to go there with a big knot.

I guess more on subject, DeFrancis screwed himself by getting greedy. Its been the sticking point since day one. He had the governor in his pocket, so he cut a sweetheart deal for himself. Only old Joe forgot that the guv can't do things all by himself. Politicians, love them or hate them, are not stupid by any means. They know slots mean more dollars for the state. No way they were ever going to let JD get the lion's share.

VetScratch
11-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Few recent articles about legal/legislative racing controversies lack a quote from attorney Alan Freeman:

Executive Director of the National Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Attorney for Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Attorney for New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association

Maybe the THA will make some progress after years of bungling by the HPBA in many states.

PaceAdvantage
11-29-2003, 12:06 AM
They're puttin slots at Yonkers, and that place is the pits....

Tom
11-29-2003, 10:46 AM
If you have never been to Pimlico, go stand in your toilet for a few minutes.
That about captures the ambiance, excpet your feet will be cleaner. :eek:

JimG
11-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Tom
If you have never been to Pimlico, go stand in your toilet for a few minutes.
That about captures the ambiance, excpet your feet will be cleaner. :eek:

I've been there...your exactly right!!....Gotta pick myself off the floor after that one Tom...funny stuff.

Incidentally, I'm taking up a collection to get you some bananas. I have fired off a letter to Chiquita, but have not heard back yet. Hang in there buddy!

Jim

VetScratch
11-30-2003, 08:43 AM
Six Degrees of Alan Foreman

Few recent articles about legal/legislative racing controversies lack a quote from attorney Alan Foreman:

Executive Director of the National Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Attorney for Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association
Attorney for New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association

Maybe the THA will make some progress after years of bungling by the HPBA in many states.

===========================
Sorry, I popped Freeman's name instead of Foreman out of Clipmate...

I am really glad that I didn't pop my research material about Freeman out of Clipmate! :o :o :o