PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Muslim Inmates Sue Over Meal Preparation

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 09:25 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio – A death row inmate says the Ohio prison system is denying him meals prepared according to Islamic law -- known as halal -- while at the same time providing kosher meals to Jewish prisoners, according to a federal lawsuit that alleges a civil rights violation.

Condemned inmate Abdul Awkal says the prison system's failure to provide the halal meals is a restraint on his religious freedoms.

Awkal, 52, is scheduled to die in June for killing his estranged wife, Latife Awkal, and brother-in-law Mahmoud Abdul-Aziz in 1992, in a room in Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court.

Joining Awkal in the lawsuit is Cornelius Causey, 35, serving 15 years to life for murder and aggravated robbery convictions out of Hamilton County.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/03/ohio-muslim-inmates-sue-over-meal-preparation/#ixzz1a6NzfDax

Robert Goren
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Give me a break. If they had followed Islamic law, they would not be in prison in the first place. I have real problem with inmates who suddenly get religious when they get behind bars.

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio's pork farmers and processors are vowing to fight the state's decision to remove pork from prison menus in response to a lawsuit by Muslim inmates.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ohio-removes-pork-prison-menus-nod-muslim-inmates

Tom
10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Give a pork chop and tell him that is all you get.

Greyfox
10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Give me a break. If they had followed Islamic law, they would not be in prison in the first place..

In the Middle East, I'm not sure that they'd be in jail at all.
Thousands of "honor killings" of women are carried out each year over there.
It may be for a simple thing like refusing to wear a "Hajib" over the head.
In some countries these killings are carried out by juvenile members of the family as they will not receive severe punishment.
See the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_killing

BlueShoe
10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
But how could this possibly be? :confused: I mean, after all, Islam is "The Religion of Peace". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HUSKER55
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
IT IS THOSE NASTY 5%'ers THAT GIVE MUSLIMS A BAD NAME!

TRUST ME. ;)

By faith or by the sword you will be converted. That is the muslims way, so I was told.

Greyfox
10-07-2011, 11:44 AM
IT IS THOSE NASTY 5%'ers THAT GIVE MUSLIMS A BAD NAME!

TRUST ME. ;)

By faith or by the sword you will be converted. That is the muslims way, so I was told.

Europe is very concerned that it will be taken over simply by Muslim birth rate.

TJDave
10-07-2011, 08:31 PM
The back story is insanely funny.

Muslims are commanded to eat Halal meats (slaughtered by a Muslim) unless as a consequence, death would result. :rolleyes:

HUSKER55
10-07-2011, 08:50 PM
do you think he is starting to question his faith and is trying to save his ass?

PhantomOnTour
10-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Seriously though, don't you think he has a point?
If they prepare meals for some prisoners according to their religious laws, why not others?

Tom
10-07-2011, 09:46 PM
He has a point, but nobody cares.
Sucks to be a double murderer and not get your way.

PhantomOnTour
10-07-2011, 10:01 PM
He has a point, but nobody cares.
Sucks to be a double murderer and not get your way.
I wonder if any Jewish murderers are served Kosher meals in prison.
Oh wait, nobody cares.

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I wonder if any Jewish murderers are served Kosher meals in prison.
Oh wait, nobody cares.

And why should we ??

highnote
10-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I will tell you what I care about... a poorly written sentence.

Where did this journalist learn to write? :

Awkal, 52, is scheduled to die in June for killing his estranged wife, Latife Awkal, and brother-in-law Mahmoud Abdul-Aziz in 1992, in a room in Cuyahoga County Domestic Relations Court.

Is he scheduled to die in a room in the courthouse?

Or did he kill his wife in a room in the courthouse?

:rolleyes: :faint: :ThmbDown: :D

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I will tell you what I care about... a poorly written sentence.

Where did this journalist learn to write? :

Is he scheduled to die in a room in the courthouse?

Or did he kill his wife in a room in the courthouse?

:rolleyes: :faint: :ThmbDown: :D

This is all you have? Are you kidding me ?

highnote
10-07-2011, 10:30 PM
This is all you have? Are you kidding me ?

Hey... It was a horribly written sentence. I take my grammar, spelling and sentence structure seriously. :D

Tom
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Reminds me of the time I was in Africa.
I got up early one morning and shot an elephant in my pajamas. :D

highnote
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
I got up early one morning and shot an elephant in my pajamas. :D

Wow. That's much better watching TV and eating chinese food in your underpants.

highnote
10-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Didn't mean to hijack the thread. It does seem that if you are convicted of murder you give up a lot of your rights.

That said...

Should a Catholic convicted of murder be denied communion? What if the Catholic convict wants wine? Must he/she be served wine with communion?

What if a person convicted of murder wanted to become Christian and be baptized? Should they be denied a baptism?

newtothegame
10-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Seriously though, don't you think he has a point?
If they prepare meals for some prisoners according to their religious laws, why not others?

Give em all "sliders" and let them eat those till the grim reaper comes calling.....
Jewish, Muslim, christians, whatever.....if you are in prison, I feel you gave up your rights. "don't like the time, don't do the crime".....

Robert Goren
10-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I got up early one morning and shot an elephant in my pajamas. :DWhat was the elephant doing your pajamas?:D

newtothegame
10-07-2011, 11:33 PM
What was the elephant doing your pajamas?:D

Lol ...good one sluethy....lol:lol:

Tom
10-07-2011, 11:45 PM

Looking good!:cool:

Robert Fischer
10-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Look the man double murdered someone, can he at least get a gyro ??

murph8
10-08-2011, 02:05 PM
if he wants the right meals he should not have commited a felony and stayed out of prison i say let him starve save the tax payers some money :cool:

murph8
10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
his point sucks and so do yours :rolleyes: