PDA

View Full Version : Something I've Never Seen Before At Mountaineer. A $3.80 Super High Five.

Bruiser1
10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Here's a first for me....The last race Super High Five, won by the favorite @ 8/5, with a 48/1 shot second, a 2/1 shot third, a 4/1 shot fourth, and a 9/1 shot fifth, paid $3.80.

The reason? The Super High Five winning combination was 3 (the favorite), all, all, all, all.

I know I've never seen that before.

BombsAway Bob
10-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Here's a first for me....The last race Super High Five, won by the favorite @ 8/5, with a 48/1 shot second, a 2/1 shot third, a 4/1 shot fourth, and a 9/1 shot fifth, paid $3.80.

The reason?
The Super High Five winning combination was 3 (the favorite), all, all, all, all.

I know I've never seen that before.

$1 Super Hi Five pool: $1,664
-------$2 Pick-6 pool: $1,817 (3 Day-Carryover? $1,116)

cj
10-04-2011, 11:21 PM
The best thing these small handle tracks could do is have just one or two pools per race. If you want to bet the first, make it win or daily double, period. The second could be exacta and pick three, the third trifecta and pick four, and so on.

There are way too many pools at tracks that actually have decent handle. At tracks with no handle, at least try to consolidate it a little. I can hear the people crying already, "I want choices". Well, nobody is betting anything there anyway. Most that would complain aren't betting anyway, at least enough to matter.

toussaud
10-04-2011, 11:24 PM
$1 Super Hi Five pool: $1,664
-------$2 Pick-6 pool: $1,817 (3 Day-Carryover? $1,116)
okay

unless you have like an inside line on the race

how pitiful do you have to be to wager a super high 5 with a 1600 dollar pool. That defeats the entire purpose of the super high 5.

just take your money and throw it in the air and shoot at it. you will have more fun.

BombsAway Bob
10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
The best thing these small handle tracks could do is have just one or two pools per race. *If you want to bet the first, make it win or daily double, period. The second could be exacta and pick three, the third trifecta and pick four, and so on.

There are way too many pools at tracks that actually have decent handle. At tracks with no handle, at least try to consolidate it a little. I can hear the people crying already, "I want choices". Well, nobody is betting anything there anyway. Most that would complain aren't betting anyway, at least enough to matter.
Actually, Mountaineer HAD one of the best Betting Menus in *that respect
When they had 10 Races,it was DD(R1-2), P3(R3-5), P3(R6-8),& DD(R9-10).
Now, with 9 races & Two Pick-4s, the 5th race ENDS a P3 & P4,
while STARTING the late P4! All money tied up in early P3/4 is not
available to Churn in Late Pick-4,a Terrible situation handle-wise.
The 8th race completes Late P3/4, & starts Late DD,again tying up
betting Dollars in Late DD pool. Pick-6 Proven waste of $$,and the
"New" $1 Super-Hi-5 in closer is D.O.A.
Mountaineer has to be concerned about field size not to offer
$.50 Pick-4's & SH5, since they Do offer $.50 Supers already.
(Yet it's Still the Best Mon/Tue night T'Bred game in town)

Bruiser1
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Look at the other side of the coin. If you had played that High Five, and only selected the first two finishers correctly, you would have been the only winner.

castaway01
10-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Look at the other side of the coin. If you had played that High Five, and only selected the first two finishers correctly, you would have been the only winner.

True, but you're risking a lot in most cases with no chance of a decent return. If you're the only one in the world who has the winning ticket, you want to get 10K or more back, not $1500. These high-risk bets are pointless when there's not a decent reward for the risk. The track(s) really should try to consolidate them into fewer pools to get a decent amount wagered on them.

ByeByeBuck
10-05-2011, 09:51 AM

You're right, and now every railbird and their brother at Mountaineer is going to "automaticly" every night now get a High Five ticket for a buck with the chalk and the longest shot on the board with any three other horses, hoping to grab the whole pool, and now next time when the chalk-longest shot hits, the High Five will likely pay less than a $1 exacta because there are so many High Five tickets with this combination. Until they get tired of playng it like that and forget about it, and then around two years or so from now, the same thing happens again with a chalk-all-all-all-all.

therussmeister
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
The best thing these small handle tracks could do is have just one or two pools per race. If you want to bet the first, make it win or daily double, period. The second could be exacta and pick three, the third trifecta and pick four, and so on.

In this simulcast era, they would just lose customers to other tracks. I, who play almost exclusively exacta, trifecta, superfecta, would simply not even look at the first race, or any other race that didn't offer one of my favored wagers, I absolutely would not decide to play the double. Besides, the only pools that are truly too small to play are the pick 5 and pick 6.

cj
10-05-2011, 10:44 AM
In this simulcast era, they would just lose customers to other tracks. I, who play almost exclusively exacta, trifecta, superfecta, would simply not even look at the first race, or any other race that didn't offer one of my favored wagers, I absolutely would not decide to play the double. Besides, the only pools that are truly too small to play are the pick 5 and pick 6.

What customers would they be losing? Those customers aren't betting enough to matter. You would attract more people with bigger pools where you could actually make a real bet. The pools at Mountaineer are pretty small, and there are other tracks that are worse.

ArlJim78
10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
a pick5 or super high five or pick6 makes no sense to me at Mountaineer. the pools there don't support that level of wager.

takeout
10-05-2011, 01:47 PM
DRF doesn’t even have it in their chart. :eek:

http://www1.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndexAction.do?TRK=MNR&CTY=USA&DATE=20111004&RN=9

therussmeister
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
What customers would they be losing? Those customers aren't betting enough to matter. You would attract more people with bigger pools where you could actually make a real bet. The pools at Mountaineer are pretty small, and there are other tracks that are worse.

What customers would they be attracting? If enough people are like me, and would not move their bets to another pool, but rather to another track, how is that making bigger pools?

cj
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
What customers would they be attracting? If enough people are like me, and would not move their bets to another pool, but rather to another track, how is that making bigger pools?

Nobody will know until it is tried, but if you lose ten two dollar bettors and gain a 25 dollar bettor and a 50 dollar bettor, that would do well. I personally don't think that many people would stop betting, but again, we don't know.