PDA

View Full Version : ESPN and Hank Williams comments

cj's dad
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
ESPN Yanks ‘Monday Night Football’ Open Over Hank Jr‘s ’Hitler’ Comment

It was a nonsensical comment. Will the punishment be permanent ?

Link:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/update-espn-yanks-monday-night-football-open-over-hank-jrs-hitler-comment/

Marshall Bennett
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Joy Behar compared Bush to Hitler outright on the View a few years back, but that's okay.

TJDave
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
[b][size=3]
Will the punishment be permanent ?

Hope so. Entertainers need to realize that political comments regardless from the right or left are guaranteed to piss off half of America. They need to just shut up and do their job.

FantasticDan
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Joy Behar compared Bush to Hitler outright on the View a few years back, but that's okay.Not true. She made the following statement when discussing who Time chooses to put on their person of the year cover:

"You have to put like a Hitler type [on the cover], like, you put Donald Rumsfeld there or something."

That comment brought jeers, and co-host Rosie O'Donnell, visibly shocked, sucked in air through clenched teeth before Behar turned to the audience and pleaded: "What I mean is, put somebody [on the cover] who gets a reaction."

Not defending it, just saying it was Rumsfeld, not Bush.

elysiantraveller
10-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Joy Behar compared Bush to Hitler outright on the View a few years back, but that's okay.

Its a very different scenario, still wrong, but very different.

Valuist
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
He never said either Obama or Boehner were Hitler-like. Apparently some feel that saying the word "Hitler", regardless of intent, is slanderous. Do some people need a little thicker skin? Yeah I think so.

mostpost
10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
He never said either Obama or Boehner were Hitler-like. Apparently some feel that saying the word "Hitler", regardless of intent, is slanderous. Do some people need a little thicker skin? Yeah I think so.
I kind of agree with you. I think he was more comparing the differences between Obama and Boehner to the differences that would exist between Hitler and Netanyahu.

Conceding that, I would still have to say it was a stupid comment. Obama and Boehner have serious policy differences, but Obama does not want to kill all orange people. Hitler did want to kill all Jewish people.

As for Hank Williams Jr., listening to the interview, I come to the conclusion that he is not terribly bright. I also think he is not terribly talented. His father was a country legend. Jr. is an adequate singer who would not have had nearly as successful a career if his name was Bill Smith Jr.

Valuist
10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I kind of agree with you. I think he was more comparing the differences between Obama and Boehner to the differences that would exist between Hitler and Netanyahu.

Conceding that, I would still have to say it was a stupid comment. Obama and Boehner have serious policy differences, but Obama does not want to kill all orange people. Hitler did want to kill all Jewish people.

As for Hank Williams Jr., listening to the interview, I come to the conclusion that he is not terribly bright. I also think he is not terribly talented. His father was a country legend. Jr. is an adequate singer who would not have had nearly as successful a career if his name was Bill Smith Jr.

I would agree he could've made a better analogy and he probably isn't Mensa material. Having said that, those that made the decision to pull the spot are clearly missing his point. I saw a poll where almost 85% of those polled felt ESPN overreacted.

Robert Goren
10-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I felt ESPN overreacted. Hopefully they will reconsider and he will back next week. He is part of the MNF experence. That being said, he had a great gig for a performer whose time came and went 30 years ago and he blew it.

TJDave
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
he had a great gig for a performer whose time came and went 30 years ago and he blew it.

Yep. Keep your mouth shut and get a check. How stupid is that?

JustRalph
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I felt ESPN overreacted. Hopefully they will reconsider and he will back next week. He is part of the MNF experence. That being said, he had a great gig for a performer whose time came and went 30 years ago and he blew it.

Yeah, for somebody who's time came and went 30 years ago....... it must be dumb luck to chart a number 3 hit song when your time has come and gone

In April 2009, Williams released a new single, “Red, White & Pink-Slip Blues,” which charted to number 3 on the country charts. The song was the lead-off single to Williams’s album 127 Rose Avenue. The album debuted and peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.

I come to the conclusion that he is not terribly bright. I also think he is not terribly talented. His father was a country legend. Jr. is an adequate singer who would not have had nearly as successful a career if his name was Bill Smith Jr.

Yep, being adequate can get you some serious awards........ and being not too terribly bright can win you a few other awards. Not to mention entertainer of the year many many times. Overcoming that fall from the mountain should have been enough for any one man to look at as a success. But going out and plowing out your own career and shaking off the ghost of your father was probably pretty easy, being that he was not so bright

Awards
Year Award Awards
2007 CMT Giants CMT
2007 Tennessean of the Year Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame
2006 Johnny Cash Visionary Award CMT Music Awards
2003 #20 in CMT's 40 Greatest Men of Country Music CMT
1994 Composed Theme Emmy
1993 Composed Theme Emmy
1992 Composed Theme Emmy
1991 Composed Theme Emmy
1990 Video Of The Year TNN/Music City News
1990 Vocal Collaboration Of The Year TNN/Music City News
1989 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1989 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1989 Vocal Event Of The Year Country Music Association
1989 Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals Grammy
1988 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1988 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1988 Album Of The Year Country Music Association
1988 Entertainer Of The Year Country Music Association
1987 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1987 Entertainer Of The Year Country Music Association
1987 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1986 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1985 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1984 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music

Goren, you and Mosty gotta have brown eyes................

Robert Goren
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Goren, you and Mosty gotta have brown eyes................ Actually I do.

Marshall Bennett
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Not true. She made the following statement when discussing who Time chooses to put on their person of the year cover:

"You have to put like a Hitler type [on the cover], like, you put Donald Rumsfeld there or something."

That comment brought jeers, and co-host Rosie O'Donnell, visibly shocked, sucked in air through clenched teeth before Behar turned to the audience and pleaded: "What I mean is, put somebody [on the cover] who gets a reaction."

Not defending it, just saying it was Rumsfeld, not Bush.
I was refering to another episode when Behar made the statement "Bush is no better than Adolph Hitler". I'm quite sure the bitch made the comparison on more than one occasion.

FantasticDan
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I was refering to another episode when Behar made the statement "Bush is no better than Adolph Hitler". I'm quite sure the bitch made the comparison on more than one occasion.I can find no record of any such statement. Can you?

bigmack
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
I can find no record of any such statement. Can you?
How sad. You're down to defending Behar.

Closer to home in 2005 Joy Behar compared President Bush’s alleged lack of disaster relief in the Gulf to the Klan. “Even the Klan agrees. Even the Klan likes that Bush is not helping. The head of the Klan said on the radio, this morning, that Bush wasn’t helping Black people.”

Behar, Rumsfeld, Hitler.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xu2qi_liberal-joy-behar-calls-rumsfeld-hi_news

Marshall Bennett
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I can find no record of any such statement. Can you?
I'm not sure where such records are stored. I sure as hell won't try and review every past episode in search of it. The moron is famous for making such ignorant statements, so believe who you want.

woodtoo
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah, for somebody who's time came and went 30 years ago....... it must be dumb luck to chart a number 3 hit song when your time has come and gone

In April 2009, Williams released a new single, “Red, White & Pink-Slip Blues,” which charted to number 3 on the country charts. The song was the lead-off single to Williams’s album 127 Rose Avenue. The album debuted and peaked at number 7 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.

Yep, being adequate can get you some serious awards........ and being not too terribly bright can win you a few other awards. Not to mention entertainer of the year many many times. Overcoming that fall from the mountain should have been enough for any one man to look at as a success. But going out and plowing out your own career and shaking off the ghost of your father was probably pretty easy, being that he was not so bright

Awards
Year Award Awards
2007 CMT Giants CMT
2007 Tennessean of the Year Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame
2006 Johnny Cash Visionary Award CMT Music Awards
2003 #20 in CMT's 40 Greatest Men of Country Music CMT
1994 Composed Theme Emmy
1993 Composed Theme Emmy
1992 Composed Theme Emmy
1991 Composed Theme Emmy
1990 Video Of The Year TNN/Music City News
1990 Vocal Collaboration Of The Year TNN/Music City News
1989 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1989 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1989 Vocal Event Of The Year Country Music Association
1989 Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals Grammy
1988 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1988 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1988 Album Of The Year Country Music Association
1988 Entertainer Of The Year Country Music Association
1987 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1987 Entertainer Of The Year Country Music Association
1987 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1986 Entertainer Of The Year Academy of Country Music
1985 Music Video Of The Year Country Music Association
1984 Video Of The Year Academy of Country Music

Goren, you and Mosty gotta have brown eyes................

Hank Jr. he's great,love his music.Joan B not great,can't stand her show.
All my rowdy friends were over last night and man did we party.:cool:

Tom
10-04-2011, 10:31 PM
This whole thing is what Dan would call :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

He did call anyone a name, but ABC, as we all know, lives in Obama's pocket.

This was only offensive to weak minds.

ElKabong
10-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Dear Attack Watch,

I would like to turn in an ennertayner named Hank Williams Jr for saying bad things about you. This guy must be dealt with, thus I'm turning him in. Please be sure to make your punishment swift and severe.

yours truly,
Snitch A Doodle

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/attack-watch-new-obama-campaign-site-to-fight-smears-becomes-laughing-stock-of-the-internet/2011/09/14/gIQAspHDSK_blog.html

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2011, 05:14 AM
-XYKRokgX00

cj's dad
10-06-2011, 12:43 PM
ESPN and HW Jr. part ways.