PDA

View Full Version : Don Lapre found dead

dav4463
10-04-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20114700-10391698.html

A lot of people making nasty comments about this story, but I think it is sad. He was a crook, no doubt, but he didn't force people to buy his stuff. He had a lot of potential to turn things around.

bigmack
10-04-2011, 01:49 AM
With no shortage of exceptions, snake oil salesmen can oftentimes get their deserved due.

True sign of a huckster is they never mention the actual product/gig. This is the first I learn he was a Vita peddler. :D

People in general are suckers.

jamey1977
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
So many opportunity sellers. Those damn Cheat Sheets that they sell for 4 dollars come to mind. Winners, Dukes, Triangle and Bob's Card, is there still a Bob's Card, life is hard in anything. I liked Don's enthusiasm. I never bought any of his stuff. I knew it was a con. I remember when he was selling some HUD program, in 1991. I remember those 2 A.M commercials.. The Cheat Sheets were okay-I guess - Just opportunity sellers. They never promised any get rich quick bullcrap. But like everything, no one gets rich quick, unless you're a lottery winner, or a rich kid whose parents drop dead. But in the end, he was busted for running a ponzi scheme, taking 52 million dollars and not returning it, the gig he said is that it was for advertising. He kept the money. Don Lapre got rich quick and what was the saying live by the sword , die by the sword. Opportunity sellers are everywhere, I always see their crap. That wasn't his doing in though.

Robert Goren
10-04-2011, 11:08 AM
With no shortage of exceptions, snake oil salesmen can oftentimes get their deserved due.

True sign of a huckster is they never mention the actual product/gig. This is the first I learn he was a Vita peddler. :D

People in general are suckers. People in general are not suckers, but there are enough people that are to keep people like Lapre in business for a while.

skate
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
never heard of the guy, but i'll say a pray

098poi
10-04-2011, 04:29 PM
I bet if you saw one of his infomercials you'd recognize him. Unfortunate and mystifying. He had been in the business a long time and with his experience with TV marketing I don't know why he couldn't find a product that works, overprice it and shove it down people's throats.

In the movie "Giant" Liz Taylor says to James Dean when he is talking about all his plans to strike oil, (from memory) "Money isn't all there is" to which he replies, "Not when you got it". Who knows.

Tom
10-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Should I be concerned at all about my Ginsu knives?
What about the last 7 pieces of my Civil War Chess set? Will they still be sent every other month? Been itching to play a game for 10 years now.