PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on 3yo Eclipse Award

cj
11-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Washington Post - Beyer (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A17438-2003Nov27.html)

JustRalph
11-27-2003, 10:08 PM
I like this quote from the DRF's Watchmaker

Mike Watchmaker declared, "Funny Cide boosters are fools who simply don't know what they are viewing."

I knew what the hell I was looking at when I dropped fifty across on him in the Derby. I am going to try and find the Watchmaker article and read it. I agree with Beyer........and have stated so in previous posts.

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2003, 10:13 PM
Can you believe the arrogance of Mike Watchmaker? "Funny Cide boosters are fools who simply don't know what they are viewing." Jeez, this guy has put his foot in his mouth more times than I care to imagine....

Obviously, I'm with Beyer on this one...he makes a good case.

It's funny...when it was Easy Goer vs. Sunday Silence, all the DRF bigwigs at the time, and all the NY turf writers were being called "east coast biased" in their neverending support of Easy Goer.

Fast forward to the present, when we have all the east coast bigwigs saying a west coast horse should win the 3yo title. This time against, of all things, A NEW YORK BRED. How much more east coast can you get, yet they still won't back this horse....LOL

PaceAdvantage
11-27-2003, 10:14 PM
BTW, in that big "Picks Matrix" spread the DRF had on BC day, how many winners did Mike Watchmaker have on top?

Figman
11-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Watchmaker and Crist deserve each other...two self promotors aboard The Titanic.

By the way, wasn't Crist a part of the NYRA management hierarchy. He has been extremely closed-mouthed on the subject of that troubled organization.

Shacopate
11-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Hey Mike,

I viewed Funny Cide losing at least 2 lenghts in the Wood when he got clobbered by New York Hero on the first turn. I also viewed a comeback drive in the stretch, not unlike Silver Charm's performance in SA Derby.

Valuist
11-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Beyer seems to be windsocking on this one. I saw comments he made just a couple months ago and he said Empire Maker was the best male horse of his generation. Nothing has happened in the interim on the racetrack that should've changed his thinking. And while I respect Beyer's opinion, I still disagree with him.

stgeorge
11-29-2003, 12:40 AM
This article was linked on www.equidaily.com this week:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=192833&category=SPORTS&BCCode=&newsdate=11/25/2003

Writer for the Albany Times-Union says, "What possible purpose will it serve to give Empire Maker the award? He wasn't the superstar Frankel promised. He won three races. Funny Cide won only two, but two of the biggest."

Tom
11-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Does anyone really care who gets the award?
It was a bad crop of 3yos this year. Truth is, none of them deserve any recognition at all.
Unless it is "Most likely to be a claimer." lol

andicap
11-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Figman
Watchmaker and Crist deserve each other...two self promotors aboard The Titanic.

By the way, wasn't Crist a part of the NYRA management hierarchy. He has been extremely closed-mouthed on the subject of that troubled organization.

I'm not sure but I believe he left before the alleged illegal activity took place. And I don't think he was running the place.