ALCS:
Tigers over Texas 4-3

NLCS:
Phillies over Arizona 4-2

World Series
Phillies over Tigers 4-2

rastajenk
10-01-2011, 07:09 AM
This isn't a pick as much as it is a wish. I'd like to see the hot wild card teams duke it out in the Series, with the Cards prevailing.

But I still can't get past the notion that Wisconsin has been the center of the universe this year...Green Bay as Champs, a constant stream of intense political news focused there, the Badgers looking strong on the gridiron. So I'm calling it the Brewskis over the Murder City Tigers in six or seven.

ManU918
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Taking Rays (Price) at -120 and Tigers (Verlander) at -125 today.

OTM Al
10-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Taking Rays (Price) at -120 and Tigers (Verlander) at -125 today.

Don't think Verlander is as much a slam dunk as some make him out to be. While he didn't get decisions in them 4 of the 9 games the team lost with him pitching were against the AL East this year including both starts against the Yanks. Didn't look so hot in game 1, though maybe the rainout allowed him to catch his breath. Price also has looked not so great coming down the stretch, so that one depends more if the Rays decide to be able to hit tonight.

Wiley
10-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Nice weather here in the Detroit area now, high 60's and breezy and sunny so hopefully it holds for a nice night of baseball. Verlander has had some rough outings recently but hope he has his good stuff tonight for a big win for the Tigers.

One problem he used to have was over throwing early in games, he has learned to throttle it back and if you watch him late in games he will throw his hardest, fastballs up to 100 then. A huge home crowd should help.

melman
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Al I don't know how you can say Verlander "didn't look so hot in game 1". Granted he was somewhat wild and had to throw to many pitches. However the run the Yanks scored was without a basehit. Not a ball out of the infield. A strikeout to Jeter that the Tigers catcher could not contain a walk and two infield ground balls. Looking forward to tonight's game two very very good ones going up against each other.

OTM Al
10-03-2011, 06:37 PM
25 pitches, two walks and a passed ball thrown in. That ain't so hot for an inning.

cj
10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
25 pitches, two walks and a passed ball thrown in. That ain't so hot for an inning.

You can't really count a passed ball against the pitcher, or it would have been a wild pitch. 25 pitches isn't great though, I'll give you that.

melman
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Come on Al, not a ball hit out of the infield? Let's say the Yanks had gone 123. During that 123 Jeter hits a smash line drive to SS,.Granderson hits a rope to deep right center that the CF runs down making a very good play on. Cano rips a ball down the first base line and the first baseman throws in glove out in self defense. The ball is hit so hard that Cano can't run to first in time to avoid being out. Now THAT is not looking so good. :)

OTM Al
10-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Come on Al, not a ball hit out of the infield? Let's say the Yanks had gone 123. During that 123 Jeter hits a smash line drive to SS,.Granderson hits a rope to deep right center that the CF runs down making a very good play on. Cano rips a ball down the first base line and the first baseman throws in glove out in self defense. The ball is hit so hard that Cano can't run to first in time to avoid being out. Now THAT is not looking so good. :)

No, but it can also be done on 3 pitches, so very little wear and tear and go back and regroup. 25 pitches with 2 walks is what I'm talking about. Ball out of the infield means little. Think the Yanks gave up several runs not to long ago as a result of several walks and a couple hits that barely made it to the position players, so it can happen.

Looks like a couple have hit the ball hard tonight (3 hits and a hard hit dp) through 2. CC's walking the park but getting out of it.

melman
10-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Just to much lack of control for CC tonight. Does show how good he is however. Kept his team in the game without his best stuff. "Papa Grande" sure does make things interesting. :) Great games to watch in the AL tonight.

PaceAdvantage
10-04-2011, 03:36 AM
CC always seems to be a crap shoot when the temperature drops...

Now the Yankee season rests on the arm of A.J. Burnett...what a nightmare scenario this is turning out to be... :eek:

melman
10-04-2011, 07:42 AM
PA--I will say in CC's defense that ball and strike ump was worse than bad. He was just as bad for Verlander true but V was throwing at 100 mph. Why not just put the ball on a tee umps. Was also very bad the day before for Phils/Cards. Jerry Meals was the home ump for that one. Called Utley out on strikes on a pitch way outside. He was just as bad for Cards hitters. I think LaRussa will get a fine for his live comments. They were true however.

Marshall Bennett
10-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Rangers appear to be back on track. When their pitching's on their almost unbeatable.

Canarsie
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
CC always seems to be a crap shoot when the temperature drops...

Now the Yankee season rests on the arm of A.J. Burnett...what a nightmare scenario this is turning out to be... :eek:

Remember those who knock the Red Sox the "curse" is fully transferable.

In all seriousness the Detroit pitcher isn't no bargain and nothing is a certainty in sports. I think Giradi will have a short leash on him tonight won't let the game get out of hand.

Also A-Roid has hurt them BIG TIME he can't turn on a inside heater. Having the cleanup hitter being a non factor is huge especially for a pitchers psyche.

OTM Al
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
PA--I will say in CC's defense that ball and strike ump was worse than bad. He was just as bad for Verlander true but V was throwing at 100 mph. Why not just put the ball on a tee umps. Was also very bad the day before for Phils/Cards. Jerry Meals was the home ump for that one. Called Utley out on strikes on a pitch way outside. He was just as bad for Cards hitters. I think LaRussa will get a fine for his live comments. They were true however.

Glad someone else thought this too. I couldn't figure out what a strike was in that game. Not calling what was clearly a 3rd strike on Jackson in the 3rd inning really changed that inning. After he called the 3rd strike on A-Rod in the 6th that was well below the knee, I just shut it off as I figured it was over with Verlander getting that call as he can hit that spot all day. Guess it wasn't, but the result stood anyway.

I do still think if the Yankees win tonight, they will destroy whoever Detroit put up in game 5, but that is a big if. Burnett has the talent, but he doesn't have the head. I'm not surprised if he throws seven shut out innings or is gone in the second.

ManU918
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I think at the end of the day all of the road teams find a way to win, so my money is on the Rangers -100, Phillies -135, Yankees -100, and the Brewers -115.

Canarsie
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I think at the end of the day all of the road teams find a way to win, so my money is on the Rangers -100, Phillies -135, Yankees -100, and the Brewers -115.

Only 4 while your still the bookies best friend look what this guy did.

22-Team Parlay Pays Bettor 394-1

http://pregame.com/sports/stories/b/news/archive/2011/10/03/22_2d00_team-parlay-pays-bettor-394_2d00_1-179306.aspx

ManU918
10-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Only 4 while your still the bookies best friend look what this guy did.

22-Team Parlay Pays Bettor 394-1

http://pregame.com/sports/stories/b/news/archive/2011/10/03/22_2d00_team-parlay-pays-bettor-394_2d00_1-179306.aspx

Unfortunately for that guy his money is offshore. GL getting that cash.

Valuist
10-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Go Brewers

ManU918
10-04-2011, 04:14 PM
What a day for Beltre... Especially to get one off Moore who has been really tough.

cj's dad
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
AJ tried his best to self destruct in the 1st but Granderson saved his a--.

forced89
10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
If Cruz wakes up, Rangers are a slam dunk to win it all.

OTM Al
10-05-2011, 12:13 AM
AJ tried his best to self destruct in the 1st but Granderson saved his a--.

It looked great but that ball took off on him. He thought he had it easy, but then had to make a great play to get it. The catch he made later in the game was the best of the night. Cheap fly ball but perfectly placed. AJ got the job done. A-Rod getting his stroke back on top of it. Anything can happen but I think they rip Tigers pitching in game 5. All up to Nova.

Wiley
10-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Granderson made a great recovery and catch, looked to me like he came in or to the side then realized how hard it was hit and got on his horse back, line shots right at you are the toughest to judge. The layout was Swoboda like, he made those kinds of plays in Detroit for years and nobody plays the huge centerfield there better.

The other side of the coin, it looked to me like Jackson takes a bad line on the Jeter ball and doesn't make a play he has made this year. The big 8th for the Yankees made a lot of this irrelevant but to me these were big swings in the game.

Tigers need to figure out Nova and they need a huge effort from Fister or they are done.

Valuist
10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
If Cruz wakes up, Rangers are a slam dunk to win it all.

I don't see them beating Philly. I'll be surprised if they win two games against them.

Canarsie
10-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I don't see them beating Philly. I'll be surprised if they win two games against them.

Nobody saw the Cardinals winning game 2. The one thing I have learned in sports especially baseball is to expect the unexpected. In my wildest dreams I never thought the Marlins would win one world series let alone two. The second one was even more remarkable after they tore the team down.

I see the Phillies getting there but I'm no stinking genius either.

Spiderman
10-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Nobody saw the Cardinals winning game 2. The one thing I have learned in sports especially baseball is to expect the unexpected. In my wildest dreams I never thought the Marlins would win one world series let alone two. The second one was even more remarkable after they tore the team down.

Canarsie,

It worked. I mailed-in application and account card was delivered on Monday. Logged-in and now have live video. Thanks.

Canarsie
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Canarsie,

It worked. I mailed-in application and account card was delivered on Monday. Logged-in and now have live video. Thanks.

Not a problem their customer service was really good.

I'm going top do it right now online and not wait till I hit the streets of Brooklyn again.

Spiderman
10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Not a problem their customer service was really good.

I'm going top do it right now online and not wait till I hit the streets of Brooklyn again.

You will need to print a form and mail it in. It is not the first 'new customer' sign-on that you see on the page. If you have a problem finding it, I will direct you to it.

Using the video today - can't stay on for more than 1/2 hour, then it asks you to logon, again. Hey, that's OK compared to the 8 minute wait.

Canarsie
10-05-2011, 04:01 PM
You will need to print a form and mail it in. It is not the first 'new customer' sign-on that you see on the page. If you have a problem finding it, I will direct you to it.

Using the video today - can't stay on for more than 1/2 hour, then it asks you to logon, again. Hey, that's OK compared to the 8 minute wait.

I called and that's exactly what they told me thanks. Already scanned my license, filled it out, it's good to go.

I really like to see the paddock as long as that's available this guy is one happy trooper.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
You guys look lost.

ManU918
10-06-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't know why but something tells me the world is going to be on the Yankees tonight, so I'm going with the Tigers ML at +150.

Valuist
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Both of those Marlins teams were loaded, especially the 1997 edition. In 2003 I don't think anyone knew how good a player Cabrera was. As a Cub fan I hated what happened but they probably were better than we gave them credit for.

Canarsie
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Both of those Marlins teams were loaded, especially the 1997 edition. In 2003 I don't think anyone knew how good a player Cabrera was. As a Cub fan I hated what happened but they probably were better than we gave them credit for.

That was found at after the series not before. My point is they weren't given much of a chance to win at the time. We can look back at teams after a period of time and really admire what they accomplished.

Baseball is probably the best example good pitching can carry you a long way in short series. Then hockey with a goalie would rank second. In the NBA and NFL talent usually wins over most of the time.

What I was saying (not taking credit) happened yesterday as the Cardinals took game four. Expect the unexpected is par for the course.

If I told you the Yankees with Sabathia would lose game three and Burnett would go in game four what kind of chance would you give them?

I like discussions like this because I have won and lost money in these situations.

Plus Mike can"t say I'm lost anymore. :lol:

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I don't know why but something tells me the world is going to be on the Yankees tonight, so I'm going with the Tigers ML at +150.

Good call.

onefast99
10-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Good call.
I'm sure the ulcer medication sweating out that win costs a lot more than he made on that bet!

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 08:38 AM
I found it ironic that A-Rod made the last out.

A combined 2-18 (.111 BA). for the series.

OTM Al
10-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I found it ironic that A-Rod made the last out.

A combined 2-18 (.111 BA). for the series.

Many will lay the blame on him again because he is an easy target. His swing wasn't back yet from coming of the disabled list, though he just missed teeing off on one with the bases loaded. He also played a very solid third base, had several walks, and until last night, was 3 for 3 driving in a man from third with less than 2 outs. As far as offense went, Texiera and Swisher did far worse IMO than A-Rod and Jeter and Granderson weren't all that hot either.

The guy I would say was most disappointing in the series was CC. Gave up 6 runs in 8 innings pitched. They scored 4 off Verlander with him on the mound and still couldn't win and he gives up that big 3rd run last night. Think all the milage finally got to him this year.

Don't think it really matters in the end though. Nova getting hurt pretty much ensured they weren't going any further. Just hope he isn't too bad as he looks like he has the chance to have a nice career.

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Looks like another blah ALCS & WS with the Yankees out of the hunt.

If the Phillies are knocked off tonight, The WS would come down to a TX/Det.
vs. D'backs/Brewers/St.Louis match-up. The network execs have to be concerned.

OTM Al
10-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Looks like another blah ALCS & WS with the Yankees out of the hunt.

If the Phillies are knocked off tonight, The WS would come down to a TX/Det.
vs. D'backs/Brewers/St.Louis match-up. The network execs have to be concerned.

It might not be. Could be one of the most competitive ever, you never know, but if you end up with a Brewers vs Rangers WS, while great for those markets, isn't going to get any play outside those cities. I'll watch some, but can't say I'm all that interested anymore.. Maybe I will pull for the Brewers.

Canarsie
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Many will lay the blame on him again because he is an easy target. His swing wasn't back yet from coming of the disabled list, though he just missed teeing off on one with the bases loaded. He also played a very solid third base, had several walks, and until last night, was 3 for 3 driving in a man from third with less than 2 outs. As far as offense went, Texiera and Swisher did far worse IMO than A-Rod and Jeter and Granderson weren't all that hot either.

The guy I would say was most disappointing in the series was CC. Gave up 6 runs in 8 innings pitched. They scored 4 off Verlander with him on the mound and still couldn't win and he gives up that big 3rd run last night. Think all the milage finally got to him this year.

Don't think it really matters in the end though. Nova getting hurt pretty much ensured they weren't going any further. Just hope he isn't too bad as he looks like he has the chance to have a nice career.

While you know I'm a Sox fan CC should be given a pass. He laid it all out there, went deep into games to save the bullpen when it was bad, never complained, or even talked about his contract. He almost matched Verlander came a run short. Did you see how exhausted he was during intentional walks? He had a hard time throwing the ball outside the plate on some pitches. The guy was running on fumes if anyone is to blame (no one is IMO) Giradi would be for letting him get to 120 pitches way too many times when he could have yanked him. '

Now for the easy target. I think a pattern is developing between steroid users and injuries once they are off. Those who were users take a longer period of time to heal or have more injuries then the norm. They are stuck with him for 6 more years he's way past his prime my two cents. Before you think I'm biased if I was the Red Sox signing Ortiz would be the last thing in my mind for the same reasons. They are both cheaters the game is better off without them and any other user.

Look at this list and then see how much time a majority of this players were out of the lineup. Knobloch couldn't even throw to first base at the end of his career nobody had a clue then.

Yet Pulols comes back faster than anticipated. may be wrong but really don't think he was or is a user.

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/

Ok fire away I'm a big boy and can take it. :D

Wiley
10-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I would agree on both points here. ARod was great at third, nothing got by him the whole series and he had some real shots hit at him. Made a really tough running play think in the 7th for an out. Valverde was really on in the ninth so doubtful anyone was going to hit him in that situation.

My guess is CC's size wears him down. looks like a small house on the mound - he should go on Dancing With the Stars to try and lose some of that poundage, as he was wiped out last night and kind of surprised Giraldi used him.

It will be tough for the Tigers if Young cannot play, might be the case, and they will need to rely on tough pitching against the Rangers to win it, won 4 of 6 against them during the year.

ManU918
10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Good call.

Thank you sir. I love when I never trail in a baseball game. It's a lot less stressful.

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 10:12 AM
"My guess is CC's size wears him down"

I was just about to make the same point. The guy is seriously overweight.

There is simply no need to carry that much weight; none !

OTM Al
10-07-2011, 01:21 PM
While you know I'm a Sox fan CC should be given a pass. He laid it all out there, went deep into games to save the bullpen when it was bad, never complained, or even talked about his contract.

Not a question of blame or finger pointing here. He did all he could and more, but you usually aren't going to win if your #1 guy has that stat line. If he could have pitched just to his ERA, the Yanks win the series 3-1. Winning or losing a series is a team effort, not one person's fault. Just trying to point out that despite a lack of hits ARod contributed well, but like the rest of the team not quite well enough.

cj's dad
10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Halliday at home and Kennedy on the road.

FantasticDan
10-07-2011, 03:12 PM
"My guess is CC's size wears him down"

I was just about to make the same point. The guy is seriously overweight.

There is simply no need to carry that much weight; none !
Actually he came into camp lighter:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6154451

And it was noticeable just to look at him. Unfortunately, it was also noticeable that as the season went on, he had put the weight back on.

I also figured CC as a David Wells type - yeah he's heavy, but the guy is big and has a rubber arm. Wells could throw all day. But CC seems to get gassed easier than Wells did..

Canarsie
10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Not a question of blame or finger pointing here. He did all he could and more, but you usually aren't going to win if your #1 guy has that stat line. If he could have pitched just to his ERA, the Yanks win the series 3-1. Winning or losing a series is a team effort, not one person's fault. Just trying to point out that despite a lack of hits ARod contributed well, but like the rest of the team not quite well enough.

I wonder if Giradi ever considered moving him down we'll never know now.

Do you think Cashman would leave for the Cubs job? He's pretty upfront that he didn't want to sign Soriano or give the sweeter deal to Arod. That was really refreshing hearing any GM say something like that. He is stuck with a bunch of long term deals that could hamper him with Arod, Teixeira, CC ( he has the upper hand if he opts out), Soriano will surely exercise his option, and I guess what would be Canoe complaining about the two option deal he signed. He would be regarded as one of he greatest GM's of all time if the Cubs would win a WS.

I don't care what anyone says egos play a lot into it. Epstein quit in a power play back in 2005 either one of them would probably get a huge contract to run the team (Cubs) with final authority.

OTM Al
10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I wonder if Giradi ever considered moving him down we'll never know now.

Do you think Cashman would leave for the Cubs job? He's pretty upfront that he didn't want to sign Soriano or give the sweeter deal to Arod. That was really refreshing hearing any GM say something like that. He is stuck with a bunch of long term deals that could hamper him with Arod, Teixeira, CC ( he has the upper hand if he opts out), Soriano will surely exercise his option, and I guess what would be Canoe complaining about the two option deal he signed. He would be regarded as one of he greatest GM's of all time if the Cubs would win a WS.

I don't care what anyone says egos play a lot into it. Epstein quit in a power play back in 2005 either one of them would probably get a huge contract to run the team (Cubs) with final authority.

I grew up with that team, but man that sounds like a thankless job, maybe even worse that with the Yankees (though probably not as bad as Boston).
If you win there, you will be a hero, but that if has been running around for a long time. Wish they would have let Cuban buy that team. He would have given them a winner in a major market aching for one. Cubs in WS would blow ratings through the roof.

Actually CC has the so called upper hand and i think he should opt out as it is the smart move and I'm sure they expect him too. Of course the way he weakened down the strtech this year will probably just get more years rather than a raise, and I think he's worth it.

Don't see A-Rod deal or Texiera deal hampering. A-Rod is still a very good player, he just had a bad, injury plagued year and they do want that HR title back in NY, so they will make money off him regardless. Texiera will be ok and still has a lot of game left. I assumed Soriano was really just a 1 year deal anyway and I'm sure that is why his contract was structured that way. Get Chaimberlin back to form and they don't need him.

Worst contract they have right now is Posada. No spot for him anymore. At least he went out strong in the playoffs, which was nice to see. It's kind of circular how Girardi was the one brought in to help him become a major league catcher and now Girardi as him manager helped phase him out of the lineup.

Canarsie
10-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Actually CC has the so called upper hand and i think he should opt out as it is the smart move and I'm sure they expect him too. Of course the way he weakened down the strtech this year will probably just get more years rather than a raise, and I think he's worth it.

Don't see A-Rod deal or Texiera deal hampering. A-Rod is still a very good player, he just had a bad, injury plagued year and they do want that HR title back in NY, so they will make money off him regardless. Texiera will be ok and still has a lot of game left. I assumed Soriano was really just a 1 year deal anyway and I'm sure that is why his contract was structured that way. Get Chaimberlin back to form and they don't need him.

Two options years its his decision.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110113&content_id=16435550&vkey=news_nyy&c_id=nyy

When I said hamper the reality is their stuck with both of them even if they slump badly. Teixeira's glove is worth at least 15 points minimum in his batting average he is that good but after Arod (talk radio) he isn't feeling the love. He has a complete no trade clause also.

Seriously I wonder how many Yankee fans who knocked Torre wish he was at the helm now. Fans are very fickle.

I really wonder what is going to happen to the Yankees attendance wise when Jeter hangs it up. Lots of people say its the uniform you root for in this case I'm not so sure.

KingChas
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
The network execs have to be concerned.

Exactly,don't be surprised if the best out of 5 series becomes extinct in the opening round in the near future.

Longer series usually benefit the "better teams", and of course improve the botttom line.

rgustafson
10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Exactly,don't be surprised if the best out of 5 series becomes extinct in the opening round in the near future.

Longer series usually benefit the "better teams", and of course improve the botttom line.

You may be right, but personally I don't give a rat's ass about the network execs or the TV ratings. Hoping for a "Great Lakes" World Series between the Brewers and the Tigers.

cj's dad
10-08-2011, 09:10 AM
You may be right, but personally I don't give a rat's ass about the network execs or the TV ratings. Hoping for a "Great Lakes" World Series between the Brewers and the Tigers.

That would be great for those cities and their fans, but for most of the rest of the nation it will be a snoozefest.

wisconsin
10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
That would be great for those cities and their fans, but for most of the rest of the nation it will be a snoozefest.

You mean a snoozefest for Eastern seaboard fans. A true baseball fan watches no matter what. At least I do.

rastajenk
10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
So I'm calling it the Brewskis over the Murder City Tigers in six or seven.

"Looking good, Louis."

"Feeling good, Billy Ray." :ThmbUp:

:)

Canarsie
10-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Might as well throw in Fox's pocket since advertising rates are determined by last years ratings.

how cliche
10-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Those were great games yesterday. Giving away the store a bit, but I don't mind since I just won. Handicapping postseason baseball is a game of trends and it's fun when they pay. Here are some trends that have proven successful for me over the decades.

In a 5 game series, immediately following the result, I blindly back whoever won game 3 to win the series proper, even if down 2-1. This year it was ARI, STL, TX, and DET. I went 3 for 4 with 2 dogs.

Prior to a 7 game series beginning, I go to mlb.com and look for team stats that provide edges in the following 4 categories. If there's an edge for one team in 3 of 4 categories, I deem that team a likely series winner.

1) Which team, staff wide, induces more strikeouts from their opponents?
2) Which team has a higher fielding percentage?
3) Which team has a better closer?
4) Which team hits homers at a higher rate?

how cliche
10-08-2011, 02:26 PM
The AL series is a tossup with the 4 statistical categories being split. TX has a huge HR and strikeout advantage. DET has a huge fielding% and closer advantage. I will go with my gut and pick DET to win the series.

The NL series is not difficult. MIL should win. Huge advantages in HR's, strikeouts and closers. Fielding% is nearly identical.

If SF proved anything last year it's the hottest team can beat the best team(PHI at the time), even in a 7 game series. STL is the hottest team, but I'll stick with what's worked over the years and back MIL.

cj's dad
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Looks to me like the Rangers have a definitive pitching edge this afternoon with the Derek Holland vs. Max Scherzer matchup.

OTM Al
10-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Looks to me like the Rangers have a definitive pitching edge this afternoon with the Derek Holland vs. Max Scherzer matchup.

Scherzer really befuddled me watching him. His motion must be somehow deceptive (and he does throw hard) because both times against the Yankees, his stuff seemed up and hittable, especially when he was pulling his head through too hard, but they did nothing against him. Sombody must have hit him though as he was "only" 15-9 in a pretty crummy division. Probably still an edge to him, but I don't think it's as big as recent performance indicates.

Canarsie
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Scherzer really befuddled me watching him. His motion must be somehow deceptive (and he does throw hard) because both times against the Yankees, his stuff seemed up and hittable, especially when he was pulling his head through too hard, but they did nothing against him. Sombody must have hit him though as he was "only" 15-9 in a pretty crummy division. Probably still an edge to him, but I don't think it's as big as recent performance indicates.

The Yanks crushed him the first time they saw him this year. He then proceeded to befuddle them his next three appearances .

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28976/max-scherzer

Baseball is a very funny game it can drive you crazy about certain things happening. It is easily the one sport where there is no rhyme or reason for plenty of situations.

Here's what the White Sox's Danks said after a game.

"I was able to try to throw some putaway pitches, but they laid off them," Danks said. "There were a couple walks there, and that’s baseball. There’s no rhyme or reason some times.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-02/sports/chi-soxs-danks-miffed-by-rough-outing-at-detroit-20110902_1_sox-s-danks-rough-outing-john-danks

cj's dad
10-11-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/tim-mccarver-gems/

Robert Fischer
10-11-2011, 09:30 PM

some good ones

Canarsie
10-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Great site. :ThmbUp:

If you ask me Tito did a great job replacing a guy who should have retired many many years ago. There is nothing worse than an announcer who talks to his audience thinking he is way smarter then those viewing.

OTM Al
10-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Great site. :ThmbUp:

If you ask me Tito did a great job replacing a guy who should have retired many many years ago. There is nothing worse than an announcer who talks to his audience thinking he is way smarter then those viewing.

I thought he was pretty good too. Hope he lands up somewhere good as I think he's a pretty good manager. Thought he should be AL manager of the year last year for holding that team together. This year showed what was possible in that situation.

cj's dad
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
His last name rang a bell with me so I went here >

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/francti01.shtml

and found this:

Terry's dad Tito played for the O's back when I was a mere lad of 8-9.

Heck of a facial resemblance.

Zippy Chippy
10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Did anyone else just see texas intentionally walk cabrera tie game bottom 8. 1 out nobody in. Wtf

cj
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Did anyone else just see texas intentionally walk cabrera tie game bottom 8. 1 out nobody in. Wtf

Looks like the intentional pass to Beltre was the dumber move.

Canarsie
10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Since it didn't affect the outcome of the game I'll comment on 2 situations.

1. Walking Cabrera with no one on what just plain stupid in my opinion. Make it semi intentional he might take a nibble is a ball is close on the outside part of the plate. Its funny because on talk radio here yesterday a host said "Washington is the dumbest manager in both leagues but is highly respected and loved by his players" He went further saying his players know all about the goofy moves but would run through a brick wall for him. .

2. Beltre should have went to third when Nappoli singled without even looking. If Hamilton was thrown out at least there are far more many ways to score from third compared to second. Jitters could even contribute to a wild pitch.
Turns out it had no impact that's why I'm posting it, I'm not a redboarder.

I would also like to give kudos to the Tiger fans there was far less empty seats than I anticipated.

Is it a coincidence that Ryan who became president in 2008 and the upswing following his hiring. Since then the emergence of good pitchers in the Rangers roster and farm system have has certainly multiplied.

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/09/19/nolan-ryan-will-be-making-some-changes/

I know the writer wrote that there might be other on and off field changes would probably happen and didn't. Still it looks like his plan is pating off handsomely.

ManU918
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I'd love to see the ratings for these playoffs... Is anyone outside of the people betting and living in these cities even watching?

OTM Al
10-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Its funny because on talk radio here yesterday a host said "Washington is the dumbest manager in both leagues but is highly respected and loved by his players" He went further saying his players know all about the goofy moves but would run through a brick wall for him. .

I've had no doubt about this after watching him last year. This is a testament to how good his players really are. I had my doubts last year and this year, but it would be foolish to keep doubting. I still don't think they are going to have a long run, but they are having a good one. Hopefully thier manager's poor moves doesn't burn them at the wrong time.

Canarsie
10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
I've had no doubt about this after watching him last year. This is a testament to how good his players really are. I had my doubts last year and this year, but it would be foolish to keep doubting. I still don't think they are going to have a long run, but they are having a good one. Hopefully thier manager's poor moves doesn't burn them at the wrong time.

I think this is where we agree to disagree but its not on the managers talents. When you get players running through a wall for you even though your considered an idiot that says alot. Just look how my pathetic Sox behaved and there's more bad news today. of course even with all the turmoil going on they will always be my team. Its the uniform more than the players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/14949/how-to-keep-beckett-in-dugout-mckeon-lock-clubhouse

I think they will have a good run with Ryan at the helm. Not going to google it but I know he stated his opposition to pitch counts and letting starters go deeper. They lost Lee and haven't missed a beat YET. I find it amazing that he's almost always in the stands instead of an executive box. Players have to notice that also and maybe once or twice a free agent would say "I want to stay here". Doesn't hurt that there's no state income tax in Texas either.

KingChas
10-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd love to see the ratings for these playoffs... Is anyone outside of the people betting and living in these cities even watching?

Wake me up when spring training starts............ :sleeping:

I miss the Yanks and Phils...and even the Red Faced Sox............... :D

Who is that closer for the Tigers?
Looks like Mickey Lolich............. :jump:

cj's dad
10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Since Wednesday's games began and until now, there have been exactly 3 posts (70-71-72) that actually talk about any of the the 5 games played in that time frame.

As I said earlier most of America, with the exception of the 4 cities involved, does not care.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Since Wednesday's games began and until now, there have been exactly 3 posts (70-71-72) that actually talk about any of the the 5 games played in that time frame.

As I said earlier most of America, with the exception of the 4 cities involved, does not care.

Yesterday I heard something that made me think. A host said "I'm afraid baseball is becoming a regional sport". I tend to agree with him.

Thoughts?

ElKabong
10-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Canarsie, Cjd

re: regional sport (disagree)

i do most of my posting about baseball on the Newberg site (below). I suspect a lot of people here post on their hometown boards for sports as well.

Links like the one pasted below go very deep into baseball....Local MLB team, other MLB teams, and the Ranger Farm system. It's not necessarlity "regional" as much as it is people in pretty much every market wanting to discuss the entire organization of their team. I kinda doubt anyone here would reply to my question about how Leonys Martin did at Frisco last week....

That's why I post there, and I think a lot of seamheads across the nation feel the same way about their boards

You get comfy talking baseball w/ certain groups, football w/ certain groups, racing w/ certain groups, etc etc...

http://forum.newbergreport.com/NewbergForum/index.php

KingChas
10-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I think the problem is star power.

Some good players on their way up just not household names yet if you don't follow these teams.

Barring Pujols( might have reached the top step) and Verlander.
Carpenter-throws a gem now and then,definately not the Doc.

Feilder,hard to take him serious with his non offseason workout ethic.
Cruz and Young look good.

Now after reading about the Red Sox pitchers beer bashes,I do believe a lot of these out of shape baseball players look like they are playing beer games.

Like what has been said here, I cannot take these playoff games seriously in my region.

Maybe it will be a great World Series- let me know.

cj's dad
10-15-2011, 01:40 PM
FWIW-

I love baseball. I love the O's. I pray for the day they make it back to the elite level, if ever.

I have watched almost every inning of every game.

I just think that baseball does not have the same level of interest it once held in this country.

Today's youth and younger adults have been raised in the generation of instant gratification. I feel it is really difficult for them to stay tuned for 2-3+ hours if their team is not involved.

Canarsie
10-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Canarsie, Cjd

re: regional sport (disagree)

i do most of my posting about baseball on the Newberg site (below). I suspect a lot of people here post on their hometown boards for sports as well.

Links like the one pasted below go very deep into baseball....Local MLB team, other MLB teams, and the Ranger Farm system. It's not necessarlity "regional" as much as it is people in pretty much every market wanting to discuss the entire organization of their team. I kinda doubt anyone here would reply to my question about how Leonys Martin did at Frisco last week....

That's why I post there, and I think a lot of seamheads across the nation feel the same way about their boards

You get comfy talking baseball w/ certain groups, football w/ certain groups, racing w/ certain groups, etc etc...

http://forum.newbergreport.com/NewbergForum/index.php

I post stuff like this to be controversial even though I did hear it and agree. Sometimes I’ll post something just to get ones adrenalin going. There's nothing like a good discussion going as long as it’s not too heated where it gets to the point where it's contentious. The devil’s advocate and me are very good friends.

How many times are the Royals, Pirates, Marlins, A’s, and a bunch of others put on national TV? The truth is these owners are the farm systems for the bigger fish. At least for me I can understand why a fan won’t pay the crazy prices for a ticket unless they want to see a specific team or player.

Now let’s look at the ratings. The same host said that Fox wished the regular show (can’t recall) was on they would get better ratings. The NFL kills one Sunday night game for the World Series I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised it they decided to discontinue that practice. The facts are that college football gets better rating then a league championship series.

The Brewers are a great story but the odds are one and done. Yet baseball has labor peace while every other sport gets locked out. If you don't spend much money a profit will be guaranteed. The Marlins got more in revenue sharing than their entire payroll a few years back. I think (not sure) that the Yankees and Red Sox were extremely pissed they didn't spend any of it. They have a valid argument in my opinion because I would love to see a level playing field in baseball.

The most important issue is lack of kids playing baseball at a young age. I was just discussing this with my friend yesterday. When we were growing up it was easy to get 18 kids. In today’s world kids hardly talk to each other they text. Even in the LL World Series I’m not so sure it’s about baseball or instant stardom because they get on television now.

Seriously I’m thinking about writing a book of when I grew up. It would be around 20 true stories that 99% of this country wouldn’t believe. One might be about the track but it would be dogs and relates to the number 714. Another would be when I met Hendrix and so on. I had quite a crazy life as a kid nothing I’m really proud of now but you can’t change the past. Stuff like if you weren’t there I wouldn’t believe it. Do you think I could spin a true tale and make it a good read?

I’m really surprised only one person knew what my pic was and he was so young it was after they renamed it. I could almost guarantee well over 95% saw it in a movie. Yes there would be a mild story about that also.

Ok now guess the name of it. The hint is it was in Canarsie.

cj's dad
10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
012p1_lg.jpg (attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1)