PDA

View Full Version : UN: What is it Good For?

bigmack
09-30-2011, 12:19 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/USDecriesSalariesStaffinginNewUNBudget-Bloomberg.png

The U.S. pays 22 percent of the UN’s regular operating budget and is assessed 27 percent of the peacekeeping budget. U.S. payments totaled $3.35 billion in 2010, of which $2.67 billion was dedicated to the 16 peacekeeping operations worldwide, from South Sudan to Haiti.

Torsella also complained about receiving the UN budget proposal in a “piecemeal fashion” with “too little financial analysis.” He cited, as an example, not knowing how much the UN spends on health-care benefits for its employees.

Calling personnel the “largest and most important driver of long-term costs,” Torsella said those expenses increased to $2.4 billion in the 2010-11 budget from $1.4 billion a decade earlier.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-29/u-s-decries-excessive-salaries-in-new-un-budget.html

Tom
09-30-2011, 07:36 AM
We need to stop funding it and get the hell out of it.
It is a playhouse for 4th and 5th rate nations that have no business in the business of the world.

sammy the sage
09-30-2011, 07:46 AM
We need to stop funding it and get the hell out of it.
It is a playhouse for 4th and 5th rate nations that have no business in the business of the world.

yep...we should also STOP being a capitalist democracy as a nation...right...Tom?...I mean that's what you're saying :rolleyes:

Don't worry...you as person are being treated just like those backwater nations...more AND more every day...by BOTH sides of the aisle :faint:

rastajenk
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Kinda makes you wonder what the UN's pension plan looks like. If cities, states, and the US gov have unfunded problems a short way down the road, a quasi- world government with no apparent oversight probably carries a huge obligation; and who would be on the hook to take care of that?

Tom
09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
yep...we should also STOP being a capitalist democracy as a nation...right...Tom?...I mean that's what you're saying :rolleyes:

No, we should start.

ArlJim78
09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
let me get this straight, the Obama adminstration is calling out the UN for excessive salaries and insufficient budget cutting? oh that is rich. like the pot calling the kettle black.

they even went so far as to demand a comprehensive, department by department by department, line by line review of their budget.:lol:

democrats run this country without any budget, without the will to cut or contain costs, who demagogue any attempt at even modest cuts or reforms, spend like there is no tomorrow, and now they are lecturing Europe and the UN about getting their act together?

I would boot the UN out of this country, and I believe it is a hive of scum and villiany, but this is too funny.

my guess is that this was part of some kind of deal with Republicans in order to maintain UN funding levels.

Tom
09-30-2011, 10:27 AM
The UN, Europe.....the jerk is just trying to deflect from his own failed presidency and ineffective financial policies. (sound byte, guys - use it over and over and over....failed presidency, failed presidency, failed presidency...)

His big mouth is writing checks his anemic abilites cannot cash. :lol:

boxcar
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
let me get this straight, the Obama adminstration is calling out the UN for excessive salaries and insufficient budget cutting? oh that is rich. like the pot calling the kettle black.

they even went so far as to demand a comprehensive, department by department by department, line by line review of their budget.:lol:

democrats run this country without any budget, without the will to cut or contain costs, who demagogue any attempt at even modest cuts or reforms, spend like there is no tomorrow, and now they are lecturing Europe and the UN about getting their act together?

I would boot the UN out of this country, and I believe it is a hive of scum and villiany, but this is too funny.

my guess is that this was part of some kind of deal with Republicans in order to maintain UN funding levels.

The same hypocrisy with the U.N. as with the Euros over their debt crises. He sure can talk the talk, but getting those legs of his in sync with his lips is something else.

Boxcar

HUSKER55
09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
ya know....if the UN was really going to work then another country should have to take it and make it work in their country. It would be a huge shot in the arm for Iran

I bet you will never see it!

bigmack
09-30-2011, 11:39 PM

I don't know how I missed the responses in this thread.

What you just outlined is EXACTLY my take. I thought it was hilarious.