PDA

View Full Version : Big Drama

classhandicapper
09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Anyone have any opinions about what kind of form Big Drama is in now?

He was laid off for a long time and came back with what appears to be a very slow race against a soft field. If the Beyer figure of 88 is representative of even close to where he is now, it's hard to imagine he could improve enough off just that one race to beat this very tough Vosburgh field.

On the flip side, the race was so slow based on Beyer figures it's kind of hard to believe he could actually be that bad and the trainer not know it.

I have a funny feeling that figure is kind of fluky. Not that he ran as fast in his last race as he has in the past, but I have a feeling it was better than it looks and gives him a more realistic chance of winning.

cj
09-28-2011, 08:07 PM

He was laid off for a long time and came back with what appears to be a very slow race against a soft field. If the Beyer figure of 88 is representative of even close to where he is now, it's hard to imagine he could improve enough off just that one race to beat this very tough Vosburgh field.

On the flip side, the race was so slow based on Beyer figures it's kind of hard to believe he could actually be that bad and the trainer not know it.

I have a funny feeling that figure is kind of fluky. Not that he ran as fast in his last race as he has in the past, but I have a feeling it was better than it looks and gives him a more realistic chance of winning.

I believe it was probably nothing more than a paid workout. The figure is probably right, I didn't find anything tough about the day.

Valuist
09-28-2011, 10:21 PM

But even if it is nothing more than a paid workout, he almost certainly isn't 100% sharp for the Vosburgh. The prime objective is a month after that, and he looks vulnerable off that one 88.

Reezy
09-28-2011, 11:23 PM
He better be as good as ever to win Saturday against trappe shot and euroears.. this race looks like the bc sprint

precocity
09-29-2011, 07:04 AM
He better be as good as ever to win Saturday against trappe shot and euroears.. this race looks like the bc sprint
yep you are right but I expect a big race from big drama he always brings it... :cool:

Spiderman
09-29-2011, 08:10 AM
The last race was in a 4-horse field and only one G1 winner, Big D. With an easy lead and fractions of :45.6/1:10.8, it would account for low speed figure and a public workout race.

Big D will be battle-tested on Saturday. Euroears has cannonball gate speed that can carry to the wire. If Big D goes with Euroears early and too fast, sub- :44 to the half, it sets-up for Trappe Shoot, who is undefeated at Big Sandy. Longshot possibles, Force Freeze and Apriority are to be considered for pace meltdown.

The hitch is that neither Big D or Euroears are the type who come back to the field. An off-track favors Trappe Shoot.

Shapes up a good race. Reserving opinion until race day.

slew101
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I think he's a definite play-against.

Might take a shot with Apriority, the other Fawkes runner.

toussaud
09-29-2011, 11:35 AM
i would not hold that last race against him. that's exactly what i want to see out of a horse coming back like that, don't blow it all on the comeback race.

I think he's actually better than he was last year. the thing is I think the sprinters are much better this year than last year also.

classhandicapper
09-29-2011, 12:34 PM
I believe it was probably nothing more than a paid workout. The figure is probably right, I didn't find anything tough about the day.

Over the years I've seen a lot of high quality horses return off a long layoff and beat a weak field in very slow time. The public tends to assume it was just a prep and the horse will return to top form in the next start. But sometimes the horse is simply not as good as it used to be or is so far short of top form it takes more than one prep to get there. Big Drama's main objective is the BC Sprint. I feel confident he can run faster Saturday than he did in his prep. I'm not nearly as confident he's ready to beat a tough Grade 1 field because the goal is the start after that.

I didn't try to make a figure for the day. I assume it fit in perfectly with the rest of the day. But in isolation I think you could make a case for the race being faster than an 88. So I'm kind of confused. I'd love to bet against him on the belief that he's not 100% yet and will have to be to beat that field, but I won't be so thrilled if I do, he wins, and the other horses coming out of his race all come back to run 15 points faster. It's tough being me. :lol:

cj
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Over the years I've seen a lot of high quality horses return off a long layoff and beat a weak field in very slow time. The public tends to assume it was just a prep and the horse will return to top form in the next start. But sometimes the horse is simply not as good as it used to be or is so far short of top form it takes more than one prep to get there. Big Drama's main objective is the BC Sprint. I feel confident he can run faster Saturday than he did in his prep. I'm not nearly as confident he's ready to beat a tough Grade 1 field because the goal is the start after that.

I didn't try to make a figure for the day. I assume it fit in perfectly with the rest of the day. But in isolation I think you could make a case for the race being faster than an 88. So I'm kind of confused. I'd love to bet against him on the belief that he's not 100% yet and will have to be to beat that field, but I won't be so thrilled if I do, he wins, and the other horses coming out of his race all come back to run 15 points faster. It's tough being me. :lol:

I don't think he'll be 100% off the race and will be an underlay, I was just commenting on his slowish last race.

Reezy
09-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Big drama scratched.. spiked a fever

Tom
09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Temperature of 88.

Valuist
10-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Too bad he can't run. He would've burned a decent amount of money. He was my favorite go-against in the big races from Bel today.

That weakish 88 reminded me a lot of Uncle Mo's comeback win at GP where he won despite the softest trip ever seen.