PDA

View Full Version : Filly's Look Good in the Arc

nijinski
09-28-2011, 12:19 AM
The Arc is this Sunday and looks to be interesting.
Sarafina looks to be favorite from what I see at this point. She was third in her initial Arc bid . Good luck to her.
Japan is entering Hirumo D'Amour who had a tough trip last time out against her. Hirumo's connections think she can turn it around.
Snow Fairy looks to be declared and Galikova , half sister of Goldi is entered.

So far 19 horses in all are entered , will be looking for pp's before the end of the week.

Some_One
09-28-2011, 02:16 AM
The Arc has usually belong to the 3yr olds (Exceptions I can remember are Dylan Thomas, Marienbard and Sahkee), I know due to economic conditions things are changing, but I'll still will look to the 3yrs olds first.

toussaud
09-28-2011, 10:13 AM
I LOVE so you think in this race.

If he runs his best, the others are running for 2nd IMHO

keithw84
09-28-2011, 10:19 AM
The Arc has usually belong to the 3yr olds (Exceptions I can remember are Dylan Thomas, Marienbard and Sahkee), I know due to economic conditions things are changing, but I'll still will look to the 3yrs olds first.

Any thought as to why this is the case? I would expect the older horses to be better bets.

cj
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Three year olds do get an eight pound break in the weights, which is a lot on what is usually soft turf in October going 12 furlongs! Fillies get an additional three pounds. While I am not a huge believer in weight being a big factor, it almost has to be one in this race.

OTM Al
09-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Three year olds do get an eight pound break in the weights, which is a lot on what is usually soft turf in October going 12 furlongs! Fillies get an additional three pounds. While I am not a huge believer in weight being a big factor, it almost has to be one in this race.

Soft turf plus the fact that the course is not level and the horses have not lost varying unknownn amounts of weight from the lasix treatment. In Europe weights do matter a lot more than they do on our perfectly flat ovals.

nijinski
09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Makes me realize how exceptional All Along was .
At 4 she won the Arc , the Turf Classic and the DC International. Would have loved to seen her . Has anyone on the board seen All Along in 83 ?

cj
09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
At 4 she won the Arc , the Turf Classic and the DC International. Would have loved to seen her . Has anyone on the board seen All Along in 83 ?

I saw her at Laurel. Sadly, I didn't know enough about the sport to appreciate it at the time.

nijinski
09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=cj]I saw her at Laurel. Sadly, I didn't know enough about the sport to appreciate it at the time.[/QUOTE
But you certainly got to witness an international champion.

Cardus
09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
By the time All Along had run at Laurel, had Biancone been banned in any countries?

nijinski
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
By the time All Along had run at Laurel, had Biancone been banned in any countries?
He left France for Japan about 90 and I believe had a ban in Japan 99 , so I don't believe so.

nearco
09-28-2011, 09:50 PM

She also won the Canadian International in that winning spree.
Outside of that famous run of four G1 wins in 41 days, she finished 2nd in the Japan Cup in '82 and 2nd in the first Breeder's Cup Turf at Hollywood in '84.

nearco
09-28-2011, 09:51 PM
He left France for Japan about 90 and I believe had a ban in Japan 99 , so I don't believe so.

Hong Kong

nearco
09-28-2011, 09:54 PM
I LOVE so you think in this race.

If he runs his best, the others are running for 2nd IMHO

I think he is a toss.
Has never won beyond 10f. Don't see him having the stamina for a true run European 12f race. His 3rd in the Melbourne Cup doesn't count as that race is run in a a bizarre start-stop fashion, so not a true test of stamina and even then he was legless in the final couple of furlongs. He was also nailed by Rewilding when he had to run up a hill at Ascot. Made heavy weather of beating a filly at Leopardstown last time out. Just can't see him winning this against proven 12f merchants, and this field is full of those.

Think he would be worth a longshot punt in the BC Classic though, if he ran there.

Seabiscuit@AR
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
The Melbourne Cup is run in a bizarre stop start fashion???? Say what???

How the Melbourne Cup is run will vary from year to year but it is definitely a true test of stamina. That is why a horse like So You Think could not win it but another horse like Makybe Diva won it 3 times as she was good at running 2 miles

There have been years when the UK/Irish/Europeans have brought out designated pacemakers for the Melbourne Cup whose stated goal was to set a strong tempo. But the horses have not got anywhere near the lead as they simply weren't fast enough to make the lead

Having said all that, I do agree with So You Think being a stamina risk at 12 furlongs. 8 furlongs to 10 furlongs is his best distance range. He just might be able to run 12 furlongs and win G1s but that would be his absolute distance limit. My guess is he will come up short at 12 furlongs in the Arc. Coolmore would have been better off challenging that alleged super horse Frankel over 8 furlongs with SYT than running him at 12 furlongs in the Arc

nijinski
09-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Hong Kong
thank you

olddaddy
09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I dont see the Arc listed on twinspires calendar. They arent taking bets?

olddaddy
09-29-2011, 04:21 PM
I called TS and they said they were taking the arc day but wasnt sure about the day before and didnt think they would have video.