PDA

View Full Version : Trip Cappin' Question

Pace Cap'n
11-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Say a horse you liked is running 5th or 6th, not far out of it, just cruising along, starts making his move at the quarter pole, and has to check HARD just past the eighth pole. Moves to the outside and gets up for third. You just know that with a clear shot he would have won.

How much did that effort take out of him? How strong would you feel about him in his next race, everything else being equal?

JustRalph
11-26-2003, 04:51 PM
Look at the race itself and see what the time was etc. If it was an extraordinary effort in a slow race, or the group he caught in the last 1/16th was going really slow for that part of the race, I assume he would have taken them easy and it didn't take much out of him. But if it was a nice time or really fast race either late or over all.......I assume it took more out of him.

I have used this method a few times. It has worked for me. Especially if the trainer runs him back real quick. You can assume the trainer thought he came out pretty good in spite of what happen.

alysheba88
12-01-2003, 12:56 PM
The problem is when the trouble is so obvious (like jerking up sharply) everyone and their brother sees it, knocking down the price.