PDA

View Full Version : 3rd & 21

Valuist
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
You've blitzed the last 2 plays and now its 3 & 21. Why blitz again? Absolutely foolish decision, which got compounded when Hall grabbed Bryants face mask.

Dallas has been strange. They lost in week 1 in a game in which they should've won. Now they've won the last 2 weeks and in both instances they should've lost.

slew101
09-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Jim Haslett is one of the worst coaches in the NFL. I think he's reached Greg Robinson's level as a DC. I'm shocked Shanahan didn't fire him last season.

That said, I can't kill him for the blitz call there. They flushed Romo out and he threw it up for grabs and got lucky. Now if Haslett drops 8 into coverage, Romo sits in the pocket for 6 seconds, and hits a 25-yard pass, people would be killing him for calling off the pressure.

I've said from the day he took the job, Shanahan looks disinterested on the sideline. I really think his only goal was to coach 2-3 years, maybe get a 10-win season, and try and get his kid the job when he retires. Only Snyder will never hire his kid anyways.

Valuist
09-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Jim Haslett is one of the worst coaches in the NFL. I think he's reached Greg Robinson's level as a DC. I'm shocked Shanahan didn't fire him last season.

That said, I can't kill him for the blitz call there. They flushed Romo out and he threw it up for grabs and got lucky. Now if Haslett drops 8 into coverage, Romo sits in the pocket for 6 seconds, and hits a 25-yard pass, people would be killing him for calling off the pressure.

I've said from the day he took the job, Shanahan looks disinterested on the sideline. I really think his only goal was to coach 2-3 years, maybe get a 10-win season, and try and get his kid the job when he retires. Only Snyder will never hire his kid anyways.

The only way you can complete a 3rd and 21 is to blitz and have limited defenders in the secondary. You mention if Haslett drops 8 into coverage and Romo hits a 25 yard completion......how often do you see a team complete a 3rd and 21 when the defense isn't blitzing? It just doesn't happen. And if by some miracle it did, the critics would be all over the defenders for complete incompetance. Besides, the time to blitz isn't after you just did it twice. O-Linemen are at least looking out for it then.