PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip when you pick up takeout?

Zippy Chippy
09-27-2011, 09:49 AM
The other day I ordered 4 bar pizza's. I got there and there was a guy in front of me. The girl said That will be $34.00" guy hands her $40 and says "that's good" gives her a $6 tip. Now I consider myself generous and a very good tipper. Mine was $25 and obviously I had no choice but to give her $30. Not sure why we would be tipping $5 when picking up takeout. Do you tip on takeout? I usually never do (or even think about it being a tipping situation)

ArlJim78
09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
In a restaurant I do, although a smaller pct than I would give to someone who serves the meal complete.

JustRalph
09-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Tip on takeout when the person who prepares or puts the order together is part of the wait staff.

Wait staff must pay 8% on all of their sales. So if you don't tip that person who is tied to the check, they pay taxes on your check. If you don't know, ask.

lsbets
09-27-2011, 10:10 AM
If its an hourly employee -at a counter service only place, no tip unless they do something to stand out - remember me when I walk in,etc...

Tipped employee, yes. That's how they get paid.

elysiantraveller
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
10% and then round up for carryout for me.

GameTheory
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
To me, avoiding the cost of a (full) tip is the whole reason to get takeout rather than sitting down or getting it delivered. I will tip *something* usually, but only a buck or so for takeout. If this is a fancier restaurant where the actual wait staff is preparing take-out orders, I guess I'd tip, but I never get take-out from such places. (And they usually are not really set up for that anyway.) But if I drive to the Chinese restaurant or pizza place (that delivers), or any place that doesn't deliver but has a brisk takeout business where you are generally just dealing with a cashier, the whole reason to do that is to save the tip. Otherwise might as well sit down and enjoy the service. If I felt I needed to give a full tip all the time, that would be a few less restaurant meals each month.

As far as wait staff paying a percentage of the check, if that is true at a particular restaurant (it isn't at a lot of places), any sale is still going to be a net plus, tip or not. The tip is a bonus, and they pay taxes on that also (supposedly), so it isn't like you are taking money out of their pocket. (You can't be taxed on income you didn't get.) If they aren't actually serving you or even taking the order, what are you tipping for? For actual wait service or home delivery, I tip well.

PhantomOnTour
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
10% for carryout for me.
Right on...that's pretty much the standard for takeout.

PhantomOnTour
09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
To me, avoiding the cost of a (full) tip is the whole reason to get takeout rather than sitting down or getting it delivered. I will tip *something* usually, but only a buck or so for takeout. If this is a fancier restaurant where the actual wait staff is preparing take-out orders, I guess I'd tip, but I never get take-out from such places. (And they usually are not really set up for that anyway.) But if I drive to the Chinese restaurant or pizza place (that delivers), or any place that doesn't deliver but has a brisk takeout business where you are generally just dealing with a cashier, the whole reason to do that is to save the tip. Otherwise might as well sit down and enjoy the service. If I felt I needed to give a full tip all the time, that would be a few less restaurant meals each month.

As far as wait staff paying a percentage of the check, if that is true at a particular restaurant (it isn't at a lot of places), any sale is still going to be a net plus, tip or not. The tip is a bonus, and they pay taxes on that also (supposedly), so it isn't like you are taking money out of their pocket. (You can't be taxed on income you didn't get.) If they aren't actually serving you or even taking the order, what are you tipping for? For actual wait service or home delivery, I tip well.
Not true...servers must tip their support staff (busser, hostess)based on their SALES, not their tips. They are obligated to give a certain % whether they got tipped or not. A $100 dollar check will cost that server about 2.5% to 4% in tipouts depending on the tipout policy of that restaurant. Sooooo, leave no tip and that server has just paid for the priviledge of waiting on you....anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00

serp
09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I can confirm that if the wait staff is working for tips and no tip is left then they lost money to serve you. The best thing to do is just ask if they work for tips.

GameTheory
09-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I can confirm that if the wait staff is working for tips and no tip is left then they lost money to serve you. The best thing to do is just ask if they work for tips.Of course. But many places that do a lot of takeout, the wait staff is not involved in those orders, period. They don't take them, or serve them, or run the cashier, there is no bussing, etc. Can't believe they are just arbitrarily assigning those sales to random waiters. Any place with a hostess, etc I'm not getting take-out anyway...

PhantomOnTour
09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Of course. But many places that do a lot of takeout, the wait staff is not involved in those orders, period. They don't take them, or serve them, or run the cashier, there is no bussing, etc. Can't believe they are just arbitrarily assigning those sales to random waiters. Any place with a hostess, etc I'm not getting take-out anyway...
I see your point...a lot of takeout heavy places have a to-go counter or to go girl who ususally does not have to tip other staff (like Chili's for example where i made the mistake of taking a mgmt job many yrs ago).
You are also correct in that the finer places aren't built for takeout. Their food loses some of it's impact when it's eaten 25mins after it's ready.
Imagine a nice bubbling canneloni in a to go box taking a 20min drive home...not gonna taste as good as if you had eaten it at the restaurant.

Greyfox
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Tip on a take out? Depends who I'm taking out. :lol:

(In all seriousness...NO. I spent $ on gas driving there and I don't need to add a tip.)

Tom
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Imagine a nice bubbling canneloni in a to go box taking a 20min drive home..

Yeah, right.
Not gonna make it out of the parking lot! :p

PhantomOnTour
09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Yeah, right.
Not gonna make it out of the parking lot! :p
I hear ya'...nothing's safe with me on the drive home (a meal or a human).
You send me out for a pizza and I'm coming home with half a pizza.

ArlJim78
09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
I have another tipping question that has been bothering me.
Okay you get your hair cut, I always give a nice tip.

But what if you go into a barbershop and its the owner who cuts your hair? Do you tip? i have no issue tipping the staff, but I have a problem tipping the owner. but when I get good service I'm naturally inclined to want to recognize it with a tip.
thoughts?

Dave Schwartz
09-27-2011, 01:18 PM
First, I spent years in the gaming industry and, as a teenager, worked as a waiter. I am an excellent tipper.

My standard tip is 20% of the total (including tax). Same for buffets.

If the situation warrants it - like a special meal that included special treatment - maybe 30%.

If the service is poor, 15%. If the service is poor and the waiter is unpleasant, 10%. On very rare occasions, zero.

If the food is bad but the service was good, 15-20%. If the server got a bad meal charged off, typically they get most of the charge-off.

Discounted meals (i.e. 2-for-1) demands a doubling to make it right. (Just because I got a deal doesn't mean that the waiter should be cut down by half.)

I tip for service. Handing me a to-go bag at the counter is not, IMHO, service. Expediting my order because I asked for it fast is a different story. THAT demands a tip. (i.e. Super-bowl Sunday: "Dave S: Your wings are ready!" while everyone else is 2hours late demands a $20 tip)

I rarely do "pick-up" but would not tip if I did. To me it would be like tipping at McDonald's. I also do not tip at the cleaners, pharmacy or any other over-the-counter purchase/pickup.

Chinese food or pizza delivery is worth $5 - not a percentage of the bill. Maybe $10 if my order was HUGE.

Just my way.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

GameTheory
09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Chinese food or pizza delivery is worth $5 - not a percentage of the bill.

Just my way.I might disagree with you here, as a former delivery person myself. These people work as hard as any waiter, and beat the hell out of their car in the process (and pay for their own gas). Tip them generously. If the waiter gets a percentage of the bill, why not a waiter that comes all the way to your house?

Actor
09-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Not true...servers must tip their support staff (busser, hostess)based on their SALES, not their tips. They are obligated to give a certain % whether they got tipped or not. A $100 dollar check will cost that server about 2.5% to 4% in tipouts depending on the tipout policy of that restaurant. Sooooo, leave no tip and that server has just paid for the priviledge of waiting on you....anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00
Sounds like the servers need to unionize. :lol:

Dave Schwartz
09-27-2011, 02:24 PM
I might disagree with you here, as a former delivery person myself. These people work as hard as any waiter, and beat the hell out of their car in the process (and pay for their own gas). Tip them generously. If the waiter gets a percentage of the bill, why not a waiter that comes all the way to your house?

GT,

So, I get $25 worth of Chinese food and the restaurant charges me $5 for delivery, how much do you think I should give the driver?

Dave

Valuist
09-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Here I thought this was another thread about takeout.

JustRalph
09-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Sounds like the servers need to unionize. :lol:

My wife has some bringing home 1000 a week in cash

13-1500 during the holidays. She had two last year that made 8k cash in December

It's a great job for those who are motivated and physically able, but these numbers I quote are in a unique environment

PhantomOnTour
09-28-2011, 12:44 AM
My wife has some bringing home 1000 a week in cash

13-1500 during the holidays. She had two last year that made 8k cash in December

It's a great job for those who are motivated and physically able, but these numbers I quote are in a unique environment
Been in the industry a long time and the only servers who are truly "making it" are the ones at fine dining establishments in big cities. Some may do well at other eateries, but the best money is at the best restaurants...the average ticket is just higher than most places.
And by "making it" I am talking 50k plus a year, which is below the average income for a full time waiter at Galatoire's in New Orleans...they reel in about 65k a year.

BetHorses!
09-28-2011, 11:47 PM
The other day I ordered 4 bar pizza's. I got there and there was a guy in front of me. The girl said That will be $34.00" guy hands her $40 and says "that's good" gives her a $6 tip. Now I consider myself generous and a very good tipper. Mine was $25 and obviously I had no choice but to give her $30. Not sure why we would be tipping $5 when picking up takeout. Do you tip on takeout? I usually never do (or even think about it being a tipping situation)

The girl set you up. Her guy friend was handed empty pizza boxes and made it appear like he was a customer and a nice tip in order for you to do the same. I taught that to a girl in Queens (she was attractive so it helps) but it was all BS. It makes the guy feel embarrassed and forced to do the same as the "customer" in front of you.....

Prob didn't really happen to you but who knows :)

bigmack
09-29-2011, 01:05 AM
STONE COLD RULES:

Pick Up Stix or any national chain. OUT OF THE QUESTION.

Big Al's or ANY local vendor. ALWAYS GENEROUSLY!

Have a nice flight.

Track Collector
09-29-2011, 01:35 AM

A waiter (at a local Olive Garden) whom I encounter regularly has told me about this same practice. He is required to turn over 2.2% of his gross sales as compensation for other support staff, including the bartender. :eek:

As to the original thread question, I have been known to tip on takeout, but I am generally inconsistent on if and when.