PDA

View Full Version : Female Race Caller at Zia Park Today.

craigbraddick
09-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi People:

Calling the 9th race at Zia Park today is 1998 Miss New Mexico and local radio host, Lindsay Chism. Lindsay is a racing fan and has done some sports broadcasting in the past so I am looking forward to her company in the booth and hope you guys will enjoy her race call.

Craig.

Some_One
09-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Well at least she was better than Bobby Flay

098poi
09-25-2011, 08:29 PM
I just saw the replay. Obviously green but she has a great voice!

MickJ26
09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Any video, Craig? Thanks.

Milkshaker
09-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Re: "Female Race Caller at Zia Park Today"

I get the part about having a radio host (regardless of sex) call a race as a publicity stunt, and I understand that it's considered a novelty because there are no full-time female race announcers, but aren't we past the days of touting the whole "woman doing a man's job" angle as a publicity ploy?

It's sort of like how the "girl jockeys" craze of the 1970s and early '80s subsided only after marketers dropped the schtick and treated athletes as athletes, regardless of gender.

v j stauffer
09-26-2011, 09:58 PM

I get the part about having a radio host (regardless of sex) call a race as a publicity stunt, and I understand that it's considered a novelty because there are no full-time female race announcers, but aren't we past the days of touting the whole "woman doing a man's job" angle as a publicity ploy?

It's sort of like how the "girl jockeys" craze of the 1970s and early '80s subsided only after marketers dropped the schtick and treated athletes as athletes, regardless of gender.

I think the greyhound track in Council Bluffs Iowa has a full time female caller.

craigbraddick
09-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Milkshaker:

You overlook one thing. We did not tout it all as being a "woman doing a mans job." Not once did we market it or tout it or promote it that way as well.

As a point of fact, Lindsay was there (as was I and many others) as part of an after racing benefit gig supporting the Mark Villa Memorial Fund.

Thanks,

Craig.

HoofedInTheChest
09-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Doesn't Hollywood Park have a chick calling races? ;)

v j stauffer
09-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Doesn't Hollywood Park have a chick calling races? ;)

You mean "chicken" don't you?

EJXD2
09-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Milkshaker:

You overlook one thing. We did not tout it all as being a "woman doing a mans job." Not once did we market it or tout it or promote it that way as well.

Really? Because the subject of the thread, which you started, is "Female Race Caller at Zia Park Today."

EdD

craigbraddick
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
That was a statement of fact. Plain and simple.

It was not.........

"Hey, there is this bird who get this, thinks she can do a mans job, well we are gonna see about that today. He she is, yeah all beauty but we will she if she has the brains to do this job....etc"

Which would have been cheap and tacky.

Craig