PDA

View Full Version : Broad Brush '86 PA Derby Video

levinmpa
09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
I had never seen the amazing run of Broad Brush in the 1986 Pennsylvania Derby posted on Youtube before. Over the years, I searched hoping that someone would post it. Apparently Parx Racing has it on their Facebook page, however, I'm not a Facebooker, and so did not see it. Someone I follow on Twitter tweeted that he posted the video today. With the 2011 PA Derby scheduled for September 24, I thought a little history was in order. If you've never seen it, it's pretty amazing.

mynfjuiEvyk

cj
09-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Awesome, i've looked for this for a long, long time. I was there that day and Broad Brush is my favorite horse of all time!

Broad Brush
09-23-2011, 07:13 PM
I had never seen the amazing run of Broad Brush in the 1986 Pennsylvania Derby posted on Youtube before. Over the years, I searched hoping that someone would post it. Apparently Parx Racing has it on their Facebook page, however, I'm not a Facebooker, and so did not see it. Someone I follow on Twitter tweeted that he posted the video today. With the 2011 PA Derby scheduled for September 24, I thought a little history was in order. If you've never seen it, it's pretty amazing.

mynfjuiEvyk

No question who my favorite horse is!!

Thanks so much for posting this!!

"Brush" was such a character. He had his own plan and sometimes that plan
cost him some big wins. But that was part of his charm.
I went to visit him several times at Gainsway Farm. I miss him.

Thanks again for posting--brings back many good memories.

castaway01
09-23-2011, 08:04 PM
I'd heard of that race but never seen it....that's pretty amazing.

levinmpa
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
There's no doubt that Broad Brush enjoyed the off going, but if you look at how big his lead was before bolting, how far back he was when straightening for home, and how full of run he was in the final 1/16th, it's truly remarkable. He had to have lost at least 12 - 15 lengths when he bolted. One of my all time favorite horses and races for sure.

Cardus
09-23-2011, 09:36 PM
An amazing stretch run. What else can anyone say?

Ragozin gave it a -22 on The Sheets. (Jerry Brown, of course, clocked in with a -26.)

thespaah
09-23-2011, 10:38 PM

mynfjuiEvyk
I was there!!
Broad Brush. Aptly named. If this horse was not measure to get up at the wire, he'd stop running.
The damned horse would take the lead and literally stop running until another horse or horses caught him ,then he'd start running again. Weird.