PDA

View Full Version : SCANNING PROBLEMS:

HUSKER55
09-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Guys and Gals,

I want to scan some pages out of an antique catalog but the pages are "yellow" from age.

Is there a way to scan a page but change the background? I am using the program that comes with windows 7.

Would a better OCR program solve my problem?

I need to get rid of the "yellow".

Ideas?

Thanks!
:)

wilderness
09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Yellowing is difficult to deal with, especially if the paper has broken down and blotches appear.

The best solution I've found is to select line-art (black and white) (2-color).
In most instances it offers good quality print.

Another option is to scan as greycale and then use your graphics software to convert to two colors.

wilderness
09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I am using the program that comes with windows 7.

Irregardless of what operating software of graphics software your using, the color and DPI settings are still driven through the scanners driver.

bigmack
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Irregardless of what operating software of graphics software your using, the color and DPI settings are still driven through the scanners driver.
Certainly you meant regardless?

wilderness
09-22-2011, 07:13 PM
irregardless (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless)

HUSKER55
09-22-2011, 07:41 PM
thank you guys!:)

bigmack
09-22-2011, 09:44 PM
irregardless (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless)
Thanks. You proved my point.

wilderness
09-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Husker,
Not sure why this slipped my mind yesterday (perhaps I was a having a senior moment).

I've had some success scanning some older harness periodicals (Horse Review) that were published on the same type of paper as the DRF (also same page dimensions), and have yellowed quite badly.

For one project 6-8 years ago, I went to Kinko's and used their copy machines to duplicate the original pages and did my scanning from those copies.
About six months ago, I returned to Kinko's, unfortunately the store was using brand new copy machines that copied the yellowing as a heavy gray background (similar to a laser printer with a bad toner or drum). Their new machines would not remove this background (darker-lighter adjustment).

I was able to locate an older copy machine at public library, which did not inject the gray background.
I copied about 500 pages at that time.

I've since found out that not all copy machines are the same and some newer machines do not inject this background, rather provide a clean white background.

Hope this helps.

HUSKER55
09-24-2011, 12:45 AM
THANKS, i WILL START DOING SOME CHECKING AROUND