PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita offering Pick 5 with 14% takeout

maryforney
09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Santa Anita to offer popular Players' Pick 5 wager with low 14% takeout (http://www.examiner.com/horse-racing-in-los-angeles/santa-anita-to-offer-popular-new-players-pick-5-wager-with-low-14-takeout)

It's nice to be posting good news from Santa Anita!

BetPTC
09-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Excellent news on a popular new wager

levinmpa
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
After having their handle suffered terribly due to the horseplayer boycott last Winter/Spring, can you imagine the heat they would have taken had they not offered the Players Pick 5. I realize the wretched TOC ties the hands of racetracks in California, but why stop at 14%, why not offer 12% to try to win back some of the players they lost earlier in the year.

Fingal
09-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I believe I heard on one of the racing radio shows out here that they are being like Del Mar & having no consolation payout.

andymays
09-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Field size is pretty good.

http://www.drf.com/race-entries/SA/USA/2011-09-30/D

cj
09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Field size is pretty good.

http://www.drf.com/race-entries/SA/USA/2011-09-30/D

Mostly the maiden races. We'll see how it is going next week. They always get big fields after Fairplex closes, but you know that already.

andymays
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Mostly the maiden races. We'll see how it is going next week. They always get big fields after Fairplex closes, but you know that already.

I'm more curious to see if they got the surface right this time. I understand that it's slower which is a good thing.

duncan04
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm more curious to see if they got the surface right this time. I understand that it's slower which is a good thing.

hoping they have. Has anyone heard anything?

andymays
09-28-2011, 05:40 PM
hoping they have. Has anyone heard anything?

It's getting good reviews so far. We'll know the truth after the weekend is over.

Interesting promotion on the 15th. Golfers Gamble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCe_WXf8BkI&feature=player_embedded

trying2win
09-29-2011, 02:58 AM
why stop at 14%, why not offer 12% to try to win back some of the players they lost earlier in the year.

If Santa Anita wants to really make a difference for horseplayers, I'd recommend extending the reduced takeout of 14% to all types of bets for the rest of this year, and not to just a pick 5, needle-in-a-haystack type wager. If Santa Anita did that kind of thing, I'd predict their parimutuel handle would soar dramatically.

Frankie S. seems to think the 5-horse, 6-horse and higher type gimmick wagers are what most players want. All that accomplishes is more losing players. Hello Frankie! Take some tips from many longtime, brilliant horseplayers at this site. Listen to what THEY want, and not what you or some overpaid consultant thinks what horseplayers want. That would mean following universal principles, Frankie...like 'ASK AND YOU SHALL BE GIVEN' and 'GIVE AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE' and your bottom line will improve a lot better. I'm amazed at how often racetrack executives ignore universal principles like that.

T2W
------------------------------------------------------------------------

~"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

--C.E. Stowe

andymays
09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Lowering the takeout to 14% or 12% across the board is impossible. You have to remember that they make the most money from on track wagers, then in state satellite wagers. They make much less from out of state ADW wagers than people think. When you consider that a big part of the percentage goes to purses it gets pretty thin. Then the track has expenses.

Before this year I thought they could lower the takeout to those levels as well. The Tracks are losing their asses out here. It's been purses up and handle down all year. Del Mar is still doing well because they make a ton of money from concessions and concerts.

cj
09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Is there any chance at all California tracks will move into the 90s at least and start providing PPs with program numbers and morning lines more than about 24 hours in advance?

jelly
09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Lowering the takeout to 14% or 12% across the board is impossible. You have to remember that they make the most money from on track wagers, then in state satellite wagers. They make much less from out of state ADW wagers than people think. When you consider that a big part of the percentage goes to purses it gets pretty thin. Then the track has expenses.

Before this year I thought they could lower the takeout to those levels as well. The Tracks are losing their asses out here. It's been purses up and handle down all year. Del Mar is still doing well because they make a ton of money from concessions and concerts.

You could if you had slots?

andymays
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Is there any chance at all California tracks will move into the 90s at least and start providing PPs with program numbers and morning lines more than about 24 hours in advance?
They do provide free programs online and the DRF PP's have program numbers in them. Not sure what you mean.

They are late with the programs because of the difficulty filling fields. There's no end in sight for that.

andymays
09-29-2011, 03:21 PM
You could if you had slots?

Not that low but yes they could lower it significantly if they had slots.

jelly
09-29-2011, 03:26 PM
DRF PP's east coast edition doesn't have morning line for west coast tracks.

Andy,how was the handle for Fairplex this year?

cj
09-29-2011, 04:35 PM
They do provide free programs online and the DRF PP's have program numbers in them. Not sure what you mean.

They are late with the programs because of the difficulty filling fields. There's no end in sight for that.

This isn't what I mean. The PPs were out days ago, but the fields aren't finalized (program numbers and morning lines) until about 24 hours before post time. Since the PPs are available, this can't have much to do with filling fields.

I realize there is a time difference, but every other place in North America seems to be able to get this done at least 48 hours in advance, often 72 or more.

Spiderman
09-29-2011, 05:16 PM

My theory on their late posting of morning lines is that they wait for early scratches.

andymays
09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
This isn't what I mean. The PPs were out days ago, but the fields aren't finalized (program numbers and morning lines) until about 24 hours before post time. Since the PPs are available, this can't have much to do with filling fields.

I realize there is a time difference, but every other place in North America seems to be able to get this done at least 48 hours in advance, often 72 or more.

The final copies with the morning line never come out until the official program is posted on their website. You're right they seem to wait until noon the day before they run.

cj
09-29-2011, 10:38 PM
The final copies with the morning line never come out until the official program is posted on their website. You're right they seem to wait until noon the day before they run.

I know what happens, I'm just wondering why they can't do better. EVERY OTHER TRACK in North America seems to be able to pull it off.

horses4courses
01-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Classic example today of good value when hitting the Santa Anita PK5.

The winners paid: $11, 6.60, 2.80, 6.60, 4.40

A $1 parlay at those odds pays $184.48
Track $1 payoff $599.80

:ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall
01-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Classic example today of good value when hitting the Santa Anita PK5.

The winners paid: $11, 6.60, 2.80, 6.60, 4.40

A $1 parlay at those odds pays $184.48
Track $1 payoff $599.80

:ThmbUp:

And the best part is.......no signer! :cool:

horses4courses
01-19-2015, 09:36 PM
And the best part is.......no signer! :cool:

Very true - always nice to get in just under the signer radar ;)