PDA

View Full Version : Georgia to execute possible innocent man tonight

elysiantraveller
09-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think this is getting enough coverage so I thought I would help it out.

Polygraph test denied for inmate (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/lawyers-file-appeal-to-stay-troy-davis-execution/?hpt=hp_t2)

There are plenty of examples of the system doing too much for criminals but in this case a re-trial is necessary.

maddog42
09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think this is getting enough coverage so I thought I would help it out.

Polygraph test denied for inmate (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/lawyers-file-appeal-to-stay-troy-davis-execution/?hpt=hp_t2)

There are plenty of examples of the system doing too much for criminals but in this case a re-trial is necessary.

A reasonable doubt has been raised. Good post Elysian.

TJDave
09-21-2011, 05:16 PM
A reasonable doubt has been raised.

Then the ultimate conclusion is that the pardons and parole board is being pigheaded.

I consider that highly unlikely. Doesn't make sense.

HUSKER55
09-21-2011, 05:20 PM
POLY GRAPHS ARE A FEAR FACTOR TEST AT BEST.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
With the vast majority of the witness recanting their testimony and/or contradicting themselves, has the case/trial been reviewed since then, for things other than procedural errors? I am for the death penalty when there is absolute clear evidence of the crimes, but not when the case is weak or serious unreviewed tesimony doubts arise later. I don't know if they're doing the right thing right now, however I know nothing of the case, evidence, testimony, etc, celebrity pleas be dammed. Have key legal people looked at this?

cj's dad
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I am an opponent of capitol punishment. Read about Kirk Bloodsworth and you will know why. There is no way that every individual ever put to death was guilty- no way. I have to believe that life without the chance of parole is a fate WORSE than death.

I have no sympathy for a cold blooded murderer, whether he/she is a cop killer or raped and murdered your 80 year old grandmom.

The cost is prohibitive with the appeals and the death row isolation vs. being in the general prison population.

So, it is financial consideration but primarily a matter (for me) of not killing an innocent person.

TJDave
09-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I have to believe that life without the chance of parole is a fate WORSE than death...primarily a matter (for me) of not killing an innocent person.

Why then wouldn't "life without" be the ultimate example of cruel and unusual...
especially if there were a chance one were innocent?

boxcar
09-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Why then wouldn't "life without" be the ultimate example of cruel and unusual...
especially if there were a chance one were innocent?

Let's up the ante. Since the vast majority of people on this forum are probably moral relativists and strongly subscribe to doing what is right in their own eyes anyway, then why shouldn't this philosophy extend out to and apply to the application of justice, also? Why shouldn't victims or immediate survivors of same get to decide what justice is right in their own eyes?

Boxcar

Robert Goren
09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but there are cases where prision does not stop people from killing. What do you with those people. In the last ten years Nebraska inmates have killed three times. All three were serving time for murder.

As for the case at hand, this thing has been reviewed and reviewed till the cows come home. Despite all the chatter on CNN all day long, there is no reason to believe this guy is not guilty.

BenDiesel26
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I am not a big fan of the death penalty, but there are cases where prision does not stop people from killing. What do you with those people. In the last ten years Nebraska inmates have killed three times. All three were serving time for murder.

As for the case at hand, this thing has been reviewed and reviewed till the cows come home. Despite all the chatter on CNN all day long, there is no reason to believe this guy is not guilty.

They can get a free death penalty by putting the guys in and telling the other inmates that they did horrible things to little children in those cases.

alytim
09-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Let's up the ante. Since the vast majority of people on this forum are probably moral relativists and strongly subscribe to doing what is right in their own eyes anyway, then why shouldn't this philosophy extend out to and apply to the application of justice, also? Why shouldn't victims or immediate survivors of same get to decide what justice is right in their own eyes?

Boxcar

Why don't you make this noble cause your life's work.

toussaud
09-21-2011, 08:21 PM
7 of 9 people recanted their testimony Also, 1 of the 2 who hasn't recanted is the other suspect...sooooooo.

JustRalph
09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
7 of 9 people recanted their testimony Also, 1 of the 2 who hasn't recanted is the other suspect...sooooooo.

This is a red herring. Witnesses often 2nd guess themselves after years of contemplation

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously inaccurate, but the time to decide its true value is prior to and during a trial. Not a generation later

toussaud
09-21-2011, 09:11 PM
if you are talking about innocent or guilty i agree with you.

but we aren't we are talking about putting a man to death. In those circumstances, there needs to be evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that a person should be put to death. i don't know how anyone can agree with me, and the pope and jimmy carter agree with me

there was a guy not too long ago in little rock where i am from that broke into the house, rapped and murdered a news broadcaster (Who was pretty hot BTW).. guilty as hell. guilty if anyone ever was guilty. And that was not the first person he raped either and he didn't even get the needle because of "issues he had a s a child" or some shit like that.

if they can't kill that dude, this dude no way in hell he should be put to death. i am not saying he didn't do it, but this isn't death penalty IMHO

hell 3 weeks ago, they just released the west Memphis 3 that were on death row (one of the three). From death row to walking on the streets.

elysiantraveller
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
This is a red herring. Witnesses often 2nd guess themselves after years of contemplation

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously inaccurate, but the time to decide its true value is prior to and during a trial. Not a generation later

Thats the problem with this case though. There is absolutely physical evidence. The death penalty probably shouldn't have been on the table before with only eyewitness testimony and now that multiple people have claimed Police coercion to gain testimony (victim was a cop) the case really needs to be revisited.

I agree with the death penalty but am very skeptic when it is administered.

Supreme Court has put it on delay.

Awaiting Supreme Court Decision (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/lawyers-file-appeal-to-stay-troy-davis-execution/?hpt=hp_t1)

toussaud
09-21-2011, 10:27 PM
troy davis appeal rejected by supreme court

Tom
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
It's done.

bigmack
09-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Why is the coverage on Big Ed as if this was a racial decision?

PaceAdvantage
09-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Why is the coverage on Big Ed as if this was a racial decision?Because that's one of the major ways the party of Democrats raises funds...if racism or "perceived" racism were completely eradicated so goes the party of Democrats. Their war chests would be half-empty at the very least.

Thus, they promote it and encourage it any chance they get...whether right or wrong...

newtothegame
09-22-2011, 02:57 AM
Some people say a mother knows her children better than anyone...
Well her comments tonight were...

"
Of Davis' claims of innocence, she said, "He's been telling himself that for 22 years. You know how it is, he can talk himself into anything."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/09/21/georgia-executes-inmate-troy-davis-after-supreme-court-denies-appeal/#ixzz1Yf5hQm2C

Doesnt sound like she thought he was innocent........

HUSKER55
09-22-2011, 05:57 AM
TWENTY TWO YEARS to plug him in. That is the problem right there. This appeal process should have a limit. 90 days and get it done. If you are not going to do it then life without parole and the case is closed forever.

bigmack
09-22-2011, 06:13 AM
This appeal process should have a limit. 90 days and get it done. If you are not going to do it then life without parole and the case is closed forever.
That seems a tad rash. :eek:

No shortage of innocence in this sub.

Mike at A+
09-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Why is the coverage on Big Ed as if this was a racial decision?
That's the knee jerk reaction of a true jerk. The guy killed a cop. He was tried, convicted and sentenced to death. He lived 22 years of his life while his victim was dead and the victim's family had to suffer through a series of ups and downs for those 22 years. The real racism here is the fact that Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson came crawling out of the woodwork for their photo ops and sound bites along with all the whiny ass white liberals who have nothing better to do with their time. I wonder if anyone of them blamed George Bush?

PhantomOnTour
09-22-2011, 10:48 AM
I see that the state of Texas has gone about their business and finally executed one of the three men associated with the dragging death of a black man in Jasper about 12yrs ago.
One more is set to meet his maker soon and the other guilty party will spend life in prison.

Tom
09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I see that the state of Texas has gone about their business and finally executed one of the three men associated with the dragging death of a black man in Jasper about 12yrs ago.
One more is set to meet his maker soon and the other guilty party will spend life in prison.

Gee, how come this isn't a racist execution?
Where the hell is Knucklehead Ed????

maddog42
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
TWENTY TWO YEARS to plug him in. That is the problem right there. This appeal process should have a limit. 90 days and get it done. If you are not going to do it then life without parole and the case is closed forever.

I shudder to think how many innocent people would be executed if the process was done in 90 days. Why don't we execute them in 48 hours and save a meal or 2. Do you realize how many innocent men have been set free in Oklahoma and Illinois alone?