PDA

View Full Version : My harness software 'dream'..

sq764
11-25-2003, 04:37 PM
I currently use the TM data files to 'automate' spreadsheets to some degree.. My next goal is to create a database of some sort to link to it.

I would love to create a software program for harness racing that included a useful database and one that you could create track models for as well. There is NOTHING like this out there and if there was, I would buy it in a second.

trying2win
11-30-2003, 01:45 AM
SQ:

First, here's a few quotes to help get you inspired, so you can get your harness handicapping software created that you want:.

"Never think IF you can solve a problem, think HOW you can solve it." -- Norman Vincent Peale

"If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves."
-- Thomas Edison

"If you think you can, or think you can't, either way you're right."
-- Henry Ford

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
-- Napoleon Hill

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
-- Robert H. Schuller

"There are two things you can have it life, REASONS or RESULTS.
REASONS don't count."
-- Dr. Robert Anthony

SQ:

You can make that dream come true if you really want to. Some thoroughbred handicappers have already done that, with some super software programs out there on the market. I don't know whether you're a computer programmer or not. If you aren't, I'm sure you could find one that could add all the bells and whistles to a harness handicapping program you desire. I don't know what it would cost. Again, I'm sure someone could give you an estimate.

The automated harness handicapping software they have on the market now...i.e. SELECTWIN, HARNESS DIAMOND, and FOCUS 2000 have their pluses and minuses. In my opinion, not enough pluses in what I'm looking for in a software program. As for myself, I'd like to see an improved harness handicapping software that's windows-based, rather than another DOS-based one that's prevalent now.

One last comment. Regarding, this new harness handicapping software you'd like to have. Is it your desire to have it created and then sell it on the market? ... Or, would you just like someone to create it and keep for yourself? Just curious.

Thanks,

Trying2win

Larry Hamilton
11-30-2003, 08:05 AM
There is a reason there is no db out there: there is no complete, single, easy-to-upload results sheet for sale at any price.

Larry Hamilton
11-30-2003, 08:16 AM
As to "there is nothing like that out there". I know of at least two db's out there for harness horses: Jim has one and so do I. But, don't let that stop you, there is a ton of work left to do.

sq764
11-30-2003, 10:16 AM
What results do you use to build your database?

Larry Hamilton
11-30-2003, 11:42 AM
those that come with the running lines. You know how the horse did in a race, but you may or may not have any data on any other horse in the race...IT's hit or miss

Its when I realized this that I ceased collecting harness horse data...

Tom
11-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Trackmaster is now offering charts for harness races.
They have the last two years on the web and several more back years you can order from them.
Check out the file structures at tis link:

http://www.trackmaster.com/harness/hch.htm

Larry Hamilton
11-30-2003, 12:40 PM
ahah, a new addition...but look at the prices:

TRACKMASTER CHARTS FOR HARNESS RACING

PAY-AS-YOU-GO

$1.00 / race card

SUBSCRIPTION

UNLIMITED

1 month

$149.95

12 month

$1499.95

that may be the most costly horse stuff on the net!

sq764
11-30-2003, 12:46 PM
I guess nothing could be done with the USTA charts?