PDA

View Full Version : On Traget Performance Ratings

Inglewood Flamingo
11-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these ratings? They are available via download from Trackmaster but they are not made by them. The gentleman that creates them seems very knowledgeable and the concept seems valid enough. Plus the price is right. Just wondering because I couldn't find any other threads here about them. Thanks.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~cahill1/

aaron
11-25-2003, 06:55 PM
I have used them a few times.If you are looking for sheet type numbers that take into account pace,I would recommend you look at the Xtra's from Equiform.com.You can do a search on pace advantage and also check out the equiform website.I found the Xtra numbers to be better,but I only tried the On Target numbers a few times.

garyoz
11-25-2003, 09:10 PM
I used them for most of the last two years in addition to a pace-based software program. I had a fair degree of success. The figs are handmade and pace adjusted. IMO, they aren't as good as The Sheets or Thorograph, but they are alot cheaper. Also they don't cover the smaller circuits. Probably the best element is that they can differ significantly from Bris or Beyers, so you have a different picture than most players (for better or worse). I also had success playing small incremental forward moves that would lead to huge jumps forward (form cycle). The calibration is definitely better than Beyer or Bris. I did exchange emails with their provider a few years ago, before he went with trackmaster and when he was mentioned in Horseplayer Magazine. He seemed like a real stand-up guy. I'm not currently using them, because I'm using the Cramer Speed figs in HTR. BTW, I tried using Equiform a few times and got killed each time (could be me).

garyoz

Tom
11-25-2003, 11:00 PM
Welcome fellow HTR user.

Whirlaway
11-25-2003, 11:17 PM
Mike Cahill used to post alot on alt.sport.horse-racing back in the day (before it became a spamfest). Was a pro in the Finger Lakes area, I believe. Glad he got out of upstate, but Vegas isn't exactly my idea of heaven, either.

Hosshead
11-26-2003, 04:33 PM
TARGET RATINGS: He Doesn't believe in CLASS !! He(Target) thinks that Class is simply Pace. So Class is not factored in.
I don't happen to agree.

garyoz
11-26-2003, 09:35 PM
There are many ways to attempt to measure performance. IMO, the class or company a horse ran against is not as good a measure as speed and/or pace ratings. Perhaps in maiden class drops it can be a big issue, but overall give me the numbers versus a class level which has little comparability across tracks or even between meets. Never bothered me that the ON Target figs didn't include class. But then again, I don't believe in "key" races either.

garyoz